Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Devil Made Me Do It

d  halfnote

Well, kids, it's time to, as George Clinton said, "Put on my sunglasses so I see what I ain't lookin' at." !

Anyone who's read Ishmael Reed's great book Mumbo Jumbo or who's endured the (multi-?)century long lessons of how bad some music is for you that somebody else, whether a dumb teacher, "race music" chart compiler or just "Mama" (as in "Mama don't 'llow no !") realizes that the real fault doesn't lie withing us but is outside.

Somewhere out there lurking to gain intry to our pure hearts & juat pull us into what Lowell George (yeah I cite a lotta "George's") called the "white boy with the whoo-whoo's" effect that has dragged so many of us down that dark & shameful path trod by the likes of respected Broadway singers children such as Bonnie Raitt or the awful fate that befell so many when former choirboy Paul McCartney innocently shouted "a-1-2-3-fire !" & we wound up 14 short songs later with John Lennon exhorting us to "Twist & Shout", as though there was anything else we could do by that point, so corrupted in our spirits by the sheer carnal & soulful waste laid to us by dominant 7th chords & demonic drum beasts...I mean, beats.

Here me brothers & sisters, I have found incontovertable evidence of what I speak, & you don't need to further twist yerselveses up in a-tryin' to understand Elvis how a wonderful young son of the South & Motherland ('scuse the puns) got so awfully misguided as to go from innocent fried PB & Nanner sannerges to Dr Nick's satanic pills or how Michael Jackson, once he attempted to wear the crown of King of Pop, met the same fate.

Yaes!, the slope from Pat Boone to Little Richard (OH, Mama, what an evil misrepresentaion that name was!) is as slick & slippery as ,well, I just bet you can guess what!

Here's proof that such awfulness is out there just waiting to snatch us all up & hold us in thrall, & sisters & brothers, we don't need to play the vid backwards to understand the evil.

Just watch this poor man, who probably started out with no idea of what would befall him by repeated listenings to Ray Charles, as he literally twists & shouts, forced by the ruinous rhythms to imitate evey instrument that flogs his body from the geetars to the pianer to the Drum Itself as he spins in ever tightening circles &, when finally released from his shameful agonies & is about to deliver a warning to all about "Rock & Roll", is caught once again by the lustful pianistic flailings of (yes I'll name him!) Leon Russell, only to be forced to repeat his song, again & again, about being draw to "her warm & fertile delta".

Witness the mad glaze that drifts over his eyes @ mark 3:45 ~4:00 & you will see yourself how there is simply no coming back once this monster has you in it's grip or how (@ about 4:45 it attches itself to that poor Texas boy playing saxamaphone & has his knees a-twiching !

& I bet many of you can offer examples of how this sad, sad plight has affected others...

d=halfnote

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Amen, brother.

I think I'll have another sip of the Devil's nectar. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Archived