Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT - need to vent

J. Dan

I don't drink on the job. Of course, that goes hand in hand with not drinking at all any more. Still - if you're getting paid, it's a job. You shouldn't be drinking when working...

Going a little OT here, but I had to do some serious step work to decouple the processes of drinking and performing onstage, which should be two unrelated activities. Over the years they had melded into one.

Today I have no problems working with musicians who occasionally drink while we're playing. But if I notice that they can't play without drinking it's a big red flag.

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is there anyone here who doesn't drink on a job? I think I might have less respect for my doctor if she drank on the job, but that's just me. :)

I used to when I was younger but not anymore. On those very rare occasions where I might have a drink, it's usually just one glass of wine at the end of the job. I can't play well and drink.

Still - if you're getting paid, it's a job. You shouldn't be drinking when working...

:thu:

SK2 /w Mini Vent / XK3 Pro System /w 142 Leslie, Roland D70, Korg SP250 B3 1959 (retired) , Porta B (retired), XB2 (retired)

Is there anyone here who doesn't drink on a job? I think I might have less respect for my doctor if she drank on the job, but that's just me. :)

I used to when I was younger but not anymore. On those very rare occasions where I might have a drink, it's usually just one glass of wine at the end of the job. I can't play well and drink.

I don't drink on the job. Of course, that goes hand in hand with not drinking at all any more. Still - if you're getting paid, it's a job. You shouldn't be drinking when working...
Once Kevin pointed it out here ages ago, I realized I didn't need to be doing it either. I think it makes playing more difficult, even after only a couple (yeah, I'm a lightweight, but it makes me a cheap date ;) ). I don't deny I used it to get over some nerves in my early days of playing in front of people.

I'm not crazy about it when I see other players do it, but what irks me is when some guys overdo it and do things like get louder and louder as the set/rehearsal/jam/show/whatever goes on, especially when I'm sharing the stage with them.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

A few things (I won't go back and quote everybody), but...

1) Sound is provided by the club

2) I failed to mention that they originally were trying to charge us the entire tab, then acted like they were doing us a favor by comping the beers we were supposed to get for free. It was after that that the sticker shock of the shots set in.

3) I have no idea what stink bombs look like, but apparently there is no smoke or anything. The stage and dance floor are normally surrounded by security - after the first or second time you'd think they could close in on who was doing it - but who knows.

Really, it was just a crappy night and I ended up in a pissy mood. Probably shouldn't take it out on the club - it's normally one of my favorite places to play. Maybe that's why I was so bothered - I went from looking forward to a good night to total crap all around. Incidentally, our next night was awesome.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Those "stink bombs" were probably something bubbling up through a floor drain.

Definitely not. Way too strong - almost made me gag - people literally running away holding their noses, and no floor drains on or around the dance floor. Would completely dissipate after a couple minutes, then 20min later (after the dance floor filled back up) same thing.

Dan, Im real happy for you, and Ima let you finish, but Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had one of the best nights of all time!

Does this mean that Frankie Valli is going to invite me on stage at the next show because he feels sorry for me?

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Incidentally, our next night was awesome.

Dan, Im real happy for you, and Ima let you finish, but Frankie Valli and the Four Seasons had one of the best nights of all time!

http://tinyurl.com/o3t65x

Too funny. :thu:

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Archived