Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bang! Just pulled the trigger...

dcr

... on a Hofner Club Bass.

There was a used 500/2 with the "Cavern spacing" (bridge pickup farther from bridge) at Musicians Friend, in #1 condition, and with a 20% discount for this weekend only, I just couldn't pass it up.

Once it gets here, the job will be to compare it to my Rickenbacker 4003. If I prefer the Hofner, the Rick will on the block to cover (most of?) the price. If I don't, then I can return it within 45 days for a refund. It's a no-lose opportunity to try a bass that really intrigues me. Booya.

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply

With the Beatles visible everywhere again, I suppose it's a good time to buy a Hofner! And with the Club Bass, I get to play a "Beatle bass" without looking like I'm playing a Beatle bass. (Or maybe I'll just look like a Tina Weymouth wannabe.) :D

It's on the truck from the KC warehouse to Wichita ... should be here pretty soon!

I doubt your Ric will cover even half of the price in this market! Wowza.

My dad's Japanese copy--I don't know how alike or different it would really be--is warm and mellow and that's about it. But it gets a lot of "oohs and ahhhs" from the family when I pull it out at gatherings (the wood grain is superb, and the "Beatle bass" has always had lots of fans). I have used it as a backup before, too, but I couldn't get a very articulate sound. Again though... it could be a totally different thing from what you've bought here. I doubt my dad paid more than $100 for the "Ideal" copy.

Archived