Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

WHY is it so hard to PERFECTLY tune a guitar?

rocknrollstar

I am sure compensated nuts solve some of the problems in a static setup, but I think that the big problem is that the guitar just isn't stable, things just change. You need to get as close as possible with the instrument itself, and if you are really good, you think like a violinist and make adjustments with your playing.

• Replies 35
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Thanks for the link to Steve Mason's site... great article.

I understand the imperfections of the instrument, naturally... and agree with "equal temperament" tuning, but I wonder if anyone here has had actual, practical experience with compensated nuts (on the guitar, lol)

I'm about to get a Warmoth neck with stainless steel and have the option of getting a "Earvana" nut.

The True Temperament guitars (by Paul Guy of Sweden have actually be mentioned here before.

I've just posted a new thread that describes soem recent experiments I've done using a new approach (at least for me) that has totally replaced my previous mixed bag of adjacent string matching, harmonics, etc., built up over many years of playing. Rather than go through it here, I'll give the lick to wherever that thread winds up.

Guitar tuning, the best solution so far

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/topics/2130853/Tuning_guitars_the_best_if_not#Post2130853

d=halfnote

Archived