Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MIDI Control of Lighting

J. Dan

Do any of you have experience with this?

I know lighting uses DMX for control, and most lighting controllers have MIDI inputs, but it seems like it's just scene selection. If I want to move... well, movers... in sync can I do that via MIDI with most controllers? Is there some sort of basic MIDI to DMX controller out there?

Here's my application. We are shooting a video. We want it to look live - like a concert. But the videographer wants to do it in multiple takes in a controlled environment. The challenge is that he's going to want the lighting exactly the same in each take. We are going to prerecord the audio in the studio and play along (again, his idea, for consistency), and I figured I could run a seq along side for the lighting.

Actually, in the long run, I'd like to pick up some supplemental FX lighting to run alongside the club lighting at all our shows, so this may have an ongoing purpose for us, but right now I'm concerned with the video.

I'll be hiring out the lighting, so I'll need to coordinate this with whoever owns the rig. So I want to know what I'm talking about and what to look for when talking to these guys - especially since I know they all run manually or auto (sound activated), and won't know about MIDI control.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

• Replies 4
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Why does the following jump out at me ... We want it to look live - like a concert. :)

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Why does the following jump out at me ... We want it to look live - like a concert. :)

Well, when we first approached the videographer, we just wanted him to shoot a live show. But when we started looking at venues and talking, he's like, well what if you get some fat dufus in the front row, and what if we can't get a good take, and what you're wanting will take 7 cameras. He had done other professional videos this way for touring acts out of Nashville. I saw the video and let him talk me into it.

We'll bring in our crowd - but under the premise that it's a video shoot. So he can make sure people are relatively in the same positions for each take, etc.

One thing I've been adamant about, is that it HAS to look like our real live shows. If we have to do all this to get good footage, etc, then fine - but in the end I wan't people to know what they are getting.

FYI - this is focussed on corporate clients, who will not come see us - they want a fancy video.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Google "midi light controller".

The second link looks like a decent pdf primer.

That's geared towards a specific software package. The generic stuff is very basic - I already know the difference in resolution between MIDI and DMX. I've found a lot of information online on various software based lighting control. I don't want to go into buying software and bringing out a laptop. I just want to sequence note and/or controller data to control the lights.

These guys already have controllers - and I admit, by not telling you which controller (because I don't know at this point), I'm not giving you much to work with - I was just hoping someone had some experience.

Dan

Archived