Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gear Question...

Nemesis75

Whats up you guys, I just signed up on these forums and was wondering if you guys can help me with a gear question. Has anyone here had experience with Carvin guitars? If so what are your thoughts on them. Im considering customizing one as my next guitar. I currently have a schecter c-1 artist.

• Replies 21
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm not a fan of customizing.... if you don't like what guitar maker A offers, Guitar Maker B has got you covered. And once you 'customize' a guitar, you've usually trashed its value to anyone but yourself.

Carvin guitars are well made. They have a lot of pretty finishes. They are fairly run of the mill, though I do like their acoustic electric basses.

But if I was in the mood to build a guitar, I'd buy parts and build one that I could be proud of, I would not hose up something else.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

^I forgot to mention I was a lefty

ahhhh yeah...that would hamper your guitar choices quite a bit...

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

What changes are you considering? New p/ups, I'd say no problem, and you can radically change the sound of a guitar with that sort of mod. But if you wanna carve up the body to put a Floyd in or something, Bill and I agree. Don't make any changes you can't reverse by just putting the old parts back in. You only make the guitar worth less, and you may need the money someday.

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I built one of their bolt kits awhile back.It was absolutely a great guitar. At $400 it was a steal. Everything I have heard about Carvin has been good. I can't see how you could go wrong if you get all the features you want.

My next electric will likely be the Carvin SH575. This guitar just impressed the Hell out of me. I've long been a fan of their build quality and playability but not necessarily their tone. The SH models changed that for me.

I stop in their factory store whenever I get to San Diego. I'm not a Strat connoisseur but the Bolt is a very playable, nice sounding guitar. So far the only one of theirs that I've purchased is the C980T12 acoustic - an incredible deal.

In a nutshell, Carvin makes great guitars that are outstanding values. I wouldn't hesitate to buy one.

you guys understand that customizing a guitar from Carvin means just shooting them with the specs you want and they'll put it together right? He's not doing anything to the guitars himself haha.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

Great playing (excellent setup out of the box) and craftsmanship.

Tried several at their showrooms. I want the NS-1 when ever I get to the point of having money again.

They have very little resale value compared to other name brand guitars...the only down side.

A Jazz/Chord Melody Master-my former instructor www.robertconti.com

(FKA GuitarPlayerSoCal)

Lefties love Carvin as do alot of righties, it's a small player in the guitar market but those who have one almost universally love them. I just got a Cali single cut (LP semi clone) that is just fantastic. If I could find a Gibby LP in something other than the one color for LP's (currently wine red with gold parts, blah) it's run easily 2 to 3 times what the Carvin cost me. A friend who is a luthier was stunned at the quality and setup as it arrived from Carvin. Now, if I was right handed I doubt I'd ever have the pleasure of discovering Carvin as there are so many instruments to choose from in stores obviously. Also true that resale value is not great, but not an issue to me one bit. Carvin's family owned and run, they are made in San Diego including winding their own pups. Here's what you stand to lose: $25 or so UPS if you decide you don't like it and return it. I've got 5 bucks says very few return their axe. One well kept (fine print) secret, if you have warranty issues they only pay freight BOTH ways within 90 days...of invoice. They invoice the day you place an order! So figure 4-6 weeks to build and ship and all of a sudden that 90 days is pretty lean. Small downside though, their quality is phenomenal.
I was born at night but I wasn't born last night...

I've played a LOT of Carvins over the years, and never bought one. Everything that everyone has said so far is true... stellar reputation for build, fit and finish, etc etc. Plays nice, feels nice, looks nice. But The sound is just no big deal.

A left handed buyer is actually in a better position. Yes, there are fewer lefty guitars, but anyone that wants to sell one is kinda stuck.

Warmoth is still my suggestion. Put together a killer guitar and put the pickups on it that you want, to get the sound that you want.

But I'll bet that if you look around, you might find most anything available in a lefty, with the store just dying to sell it. They may start out at a higher price, but this is a prime opportunity to negotiate,a nd be willing to walk away.

Bill

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

yeah...Im no luthier. The stuff from warmoth probably cost just as much to just have carvin build my guitar.

Ideally I would just want a mid end hardtail ibanez rg, like one of these

http://guitars.musiciansfriend.com/product/Ibanez-RG-Electric-Guitar?sku=481914

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGA42FM

http://ibanez.com/ElectricGuitars/model-RGR421EXFM

But seeing as how Ibanez dont make any decent left handed hardtail models. Im only left with the RG1550 as an option from them and Im not interested in getting a guitar with a locking trem.

But seeing as how Ibanez dont make decent any hardtail models. Im only left with the RG1550 as an option from them and Im not interested in getting a guitar with a locking trem.

I have an Ibanez RG321 it has a hard tail bridge and it only cost me $272. I had to file the frets level, and re-solder the tone capacitor to the tone pot but ever since then, it has been a flawless instrument. In fact it is one of my all time favorite guitars.

Great playing (excellent setup out of the box) and craftsmanship.

Tried several at their showrooms. I want the NS-1 when ever I get to the point of having money again.

They have very little resale value compared to other name brand guitars...the only down side.

Which is why you mostly only see pros using them, strangely enough.

I should've bought one from a friend as my first good electric - it was the aingle cutaway vesrion of the one that John Cippolina used to play in their ads - but it was the early 80s and I wanted some strat-like action (though I think that guitar had crazy coil tapping/splitting electronics for the time... shoulda got it, he was selling the amp along with it for what I paid for just a guitar later).

http://www.carvinmuseum.com/images/vintageads/79august-guitarplayer-vt112-small.jpg

Cool; whichever model and options you go with, get their "TN"-option Tung-oiled (back of) neck option, you'll LOVE the feel; and the "SS"-option Graph-Tech String-Saver saddles will prevent string-breaking at the bridge, and enhance tuning-stability. And Dunlop Straplocks- option "SL"- are ALWAYS a GREAT idea, better safe than sorry! I've got 'em on my LP...

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived