Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

QuikLok Stand Z71

StanC

Hi:

I've been trying to upgrade my 2 tier KB stand to something that's a quick easy set up and tear down without sacrificing sturdiness. I have an On-Stage Z double tier which is very sturdy but have had it with the knobs that you need to thread to set it up. A few months back I started watching Guitar Vision for what seemed to be a good candidate for the replacement: the QuikLok Rapid Set Up Z71 with 2nd tier attachment. Rapid set up, and from the design, seems that will be every bit as sturdy as the On-Stage without the damned knobs! Availability kept being pushed out and is now at 9/15/09. I called and the rep said they were not available today and the web site needs to be updated. And I can't seem to find them available anywhere else. SameDayMusic offers a Z72 which is a rapid set up too like to the Z71 and also includes the 2nd tier at a much lower price, but it is in silver. Not sure about the color; never used anything but black because on a usually dark stage seems to be "invisible". Has anyone seen the black Z71 and 2nd tier attachment available anywhere? I've considered painting the silver with some black rustoleum - other than that any other advise or recommendations?

Thanks!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

Retired: Hammond M2/Leslie 145, Wurly 200, Ensoniq VFX

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Silver? WTF? I suppose for $120, it's not a bad deal. I have a black Z-72. I think I paid something like $270 for it. The Z-71 with the second tier attachment (which seems to be available here) sure looks like a Z-72.

I like the stand a lot, but it has its flaws. It's a big hunk of metal to move around. I don't think I believe that 27.3 pound spec. The cross member of the base is going to get in the way of your pedals if you play sitting down. The two tiers are too far apart for me. I solved these problems for myself by making dolly for it that's level with the top of the base, and by making a pair of blocks to raise the lower board 2 3/8". The stand folds up and straps to the dolly for moving, along with a small skid board that protects the second tier hardware and allows the whole thing to stand on end. I can move it with a two wheeler and slide it into the Honda on end.

Without my little attachments, it'd be a pain to move and load, the second tier would take a beating, pedals and leg room would be a problem, and I'd want to hack up the second tier to get the boards closer together.

With the dolly and the blocks I totally love it. Everything is in exactly the right position for me. I can roll the whole thing around, pedals and all. I don't think I could live without that anymore. At home, and on stages of every description, it makes life so much easier.

It's a solid stand and it's held up nicely, but it took some hacking to really love it.

--wmp

Hello wmp: Thanks for the reply. Yes I did run across the Z-72 as well, but that too is unavailable. And the prices seem to vary a lot! The link you sent to B&H, price is about double GC and SamedayMusic. And they too say special order, so like GC they do not stock the item. I am curious as to things that you mentioned: Could I ask you to take a couple of measurements for me? That would be great! First the cross bar on the floor possibly interfering with the pedals; what is the distance from that bar to the back end of the "foot"? And I too like to keep the two boards close together; so I like the way you were able to get around that. If I end up purchasing one I may have to steal that idea! With the second tier in a flat position, what is the clearance between the bottom of the second tier in the lowest position and top of the 1st level? Thanks for your advice and help!

Stan

Gig Rig: Yamaha S90 XS; Hammond SK-1; Rehearsal: Yamaha MOX8 Korg Triton Le61, Yamaha S90, Hammond XK-1

... the cross bar on the floor possibly interfering with the pedals; what is the distance from that bar to the back end of the "foot"?

About 5 3/4" to 7". Notice that all of my pedals are on top of the base of the stand.

http://B3and88.com/img/pedals.jpg

With the second tier in a flat position, what is the clearance between the bottom of the second tier in the lowest position and top of the 1st level?

About 9".

--wmp

I bought the Z71 a few years back and added the 2nd trier later making it a Z72. The stand is solid as a rock but quite heavy. Folding up is very easy and love the design of it.

My avatar is a picture of my setup on the Z72. You'll have an image of the distance between the bottem board and the topboard. The 2nd trier is at it lowest position and tilted slighty forward

rgds

Edwin

Roland FA-08

Nord StageEX compact

Yamaha MG10/2

Thanks guys! Your help is appreciated! If I can get past the silver, I may just order the Z72 from SameDay since they're the only ones stocking now.

Stan

Actually that is more like the Onstage Model. I own one like that and the problem I am trying to abandon is the set up time. The Onstage and Proline assemble by threaded knobs which are a real pain and time consuming. The Z-71 and Z-72 folds and lock into place in a couple of seconds.

Stan

Archived