Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gig Report: Wretched Men

moot

Wretched Men played at the guitarist Keiths birthday party on Saturday. To put it simply, we KICKED ASS!! We had our sound dialed - Derek had his drum triggers in one PA and the vocals were in another with just a touch of guitar. Two PA's was a brilliant move - everything was present and the kick drum and bass could be felt in your chest. Yes it was loud but that's the way rock is meant to be played. We were very tight and the 3 part harmonies were perfectly balanced and on the money. Even the light show was perfect.

I used my usual rack (Ashy Mag 300, BBE Bmax, DigiTech BP200) and 2 cabs. RedStar 1-15 on my side, the new EV 15BX on the other. My tone was fabulous - deep and articulate at the same time and I am really glad I added the second cabinet to the guitarists side. So is he. The guy is nuts about bass and I love him for it.

The party was small, maybe 40 people, there was great food and drink and Steph (guitarists wife) was the perfect hostess. My new girl was there and she was very impressed with us - and that's saying something because she has been around music her entire life. Her dad made guitars for the Grateful Dead and she went to her first show at 4 years old.

We played everything off our upcoming CD and a couple slated for the second and everybody was totally into it - some people were even dancing. We also got booked for a Halloween party.

I was and am proud to be playing with Wretched Men. This band is ready for bigger things.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wow - there's a lot in that post. First, congrats on a great gig. An enthusiastic crowd - no matter the size - always works well.

Two PAs? As in two heads and two sets of speakers? and your bass rig? No wonder you are wretched... Not that I'm trying to change what clearly works, but what if you drove all the speakers from one mixer/amp?

Tight harmonies - ah yes. I need about 3 years of vocal lessons to join in on that. It feels as good when the notes form a bond as any other part of the rock.

My new girl was there and she was very impressed with us - and that's saying something because she has been around music her entire life. Her dad made guitars for the Grateful Dead and she went to her first show at 4 years old.
If I read this right (in conjunction with that old article), I think I know who that is (which almost guarantees I'm wrong). Interesting.

This band is ready for bigger things.

given your age, equipment, and band name I can only assume it's bigger traction equipment and therapy tables :grin: :grin:

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

LMAO!! Good stuff Tom!

Yes - 2 PA's. The drummer has a 200w Kustom with 2 15" 2 ways which is easily overpowered with his triggers. I hauled my board and rack and 12's over there just for the vocals.

Yep - it was Miss Fuller.

We are all winking at 50 but the back grabbing and stroke canes are still a ways off.

http://i20.photobucket.com/albums/b203/Mattulator/DSCF0003.jpg

Moot, I'm digging your mustache, bro.

My fellow forumites, please take note:

Creative or uncommon-looking facial hair is essential to the creation of cool music. Don't make me cite examples.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

Moot, I'm digging your mustache, bro.

Thanks Erik - it changes alot.

...and I thought he just parted his beard to show the bald spot on his chin.

Goll durn whippersnapper . . . it's not a bald spot it's a gray spot.

Oh - I haven't seen any pictures yet but there is a really bad cell phone video.

Archived