Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MTV Awards

stepay

by Kanker:

She didn't threaten to kill anybody. She did apologize. She did step over the line though. (pun intended)

I heard her "apology" on ESPN radio, and NO she did NOT apologize.

Your right, she did skirt the issue at the press conference after the match. Obviously still steaming from being beaten, and the judges incorrect call.

She did apologize later, without cameras, once she cooled down.

Williams apology

"I want to amend my press statement of yesterday," Williams wrote, "and want to make it clear as possible -- I want to sincerely apologize FIRST to the lineswoman, (singles opponent) Kim Clijsters, the (U.S. Tennis Association) and mostly tennis fans everywhere for my inappropriate outburst. I'm a woman of great pride, faith and integrity and I admit when I'm wrong."

TROLL . . . ish.

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Taylor had her moment, and a full fifteen minutes worth in recycling already. She ought to send Kanye a case of Hennessy and a thank you note. Had he not been such a classy guy, I'd still have no idea of who she is, and no idea that there were MTV awards. He gave her more press than she could ever buy, and ditto for MTV and the awards show. Even folks who are aggressively disinterested know all about it.

Taylor is HUGE in the country music scene. Her career was doing nicely without this publicity. The folks that are made aware of her through this disgrace are not going to listen to her music anyway. I would bet that Kayne can only dream of having the cash and fame she is pulling down these days

Steve

A Lifetime of Peace, Love and Protest Music

www.rock-xtreme.com

Who says the judge's call was incorrect? From what I heard, there is no video from an angle that would show that the judge was wrong.

I didn't see it, but have heard sports shows discussing the call was probably wrong. It doesn't matter, Serena ultimately was in the wrong in what she did, and she now knows it. I had my doubts listening to her in the press conf. immediatly after the match, but cooler heads prevail.

TROLL . . . ish.

Taylor is HUGE in the country music scene. Her career was doing nicely without this publicity. The folks that are made aware of her through this disgrace are not going to listen to her music anyway. I would bet that Kayne can only dream of having the cash and fame she is pulling down these days

Yes, well there's not a whole lot of cross-over between Kanye's and Taylor's scenes, is there? :rolleyes: Kanye's doing OK himself, if he has any financial problems they are caused on the outflow side, not the income side.

What an absolute ass though. And Beyonce showed real class, IMO.

--Dave

Make my funk the P-funk.

I wants to get funked up.

My Funk/Jam originals project: http://www.thefunkery.com/

Taylor had her moment, and a full fifteen minutes worth in recycling already. She ought to send Kanye a case of Hennessy and a thank you note. Had he not been such a classy guy, I'd still have no idea of who she is, and no idea that there were MTV awards. He gave her more press than she could ever buy, and ditto for MTV and the awards show. Even folks who are aggressively disinterested know all about it.

Correct. Taylor Swift didn't need this publicity and really will not have gained anything from it at all.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

As long as the media continues to glorify the ghetto sub-culture and its denizens, there will be more (and nastier) public displays of this sort from the likes of Mr.West and his ilk. There are no substitutes for a good up-bringing, a solid education and self-respect no matter how wealthy and talented a person may be.

I appreciate what you're saying OldTuna, but I think the issue of upbringing, as important as that is, eventually skirts the issue.

The accountability for all the classless exposures of poor character rests with the individual. Beginning and end of story. West's problems are his own - not his mother's. Williams demonstrated a complete lack of contrition in her initial "apologies" and her subsequent comments...until her third "apology" most recently cited. You can add Michael Jordan's bullying HOF speech to the list as well. None of this detracts from their talents - be they athletic, music production, etc.

Stress and crisis reveal true character beneath the veneer of respectability we all carry around. You don't see what a man or woman is made of until something goes wrong. Some folks' character is to be admired. Others'...meh.

Who says the judge's call was incorrect? From what I heard, there is no video from an angle that would show that the judge was wrong.

My late father in law was a tennis pro and coach back when tennis was a gentleman's game. He used to watch the antics of Jimmy Connors and John McEnroe and just shake his head in disbelief. He said that in his day, if you so much as raised an eyebrow at a judge's call they'd throw you off the court. He must be rolling in his grave over this one...

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

You can add Michael Jordan's bullying HOF speech to the list as well. None of this detracts from their talents - be they athletic, music production, etc.

Stress and crisis reveal true character beneath the veneer of respectability we all carry around. You don't see what a man or woman is made of until something goes wrong. Some folks' character is to be admired. Others'...meh.

I saw MJ's speech, and it perplexed me to no end.. I heard the comments and thought, wow, he's either really mean, really pissed at these guys or a really really bad comedian. Then he mentioned taking Isiah Thomas, and George Gervin etc off the hot seat for "Icing him out" at his 1st all star game, saying he really didn't feel any of that happened, and if it did he didn't notice it. I felt that, plus the comments about what happened in Hawaii with Pat Riley were really forthcoming. Which led me to believe he wasn't really trying to hurt anyone up there(Byron Scott), but trying to be humorous. The subject of his attempts at humor, in attendence, seemed to be laughing hysterically.

Regarding the comment about stress & crisis revealing true character. I agree to a point, but sometimes stress just brings about anger or rage, which by itself isn't unnatural or any measure of charachter. In fact, if not released properly can lead to more severe problems and issues. I think one of the dividing lines between simple anger and charachter fault, is when someone has a chance to think about there anger, feelings etc, then chooses to act in a mean or hurtful manner. Which would be the case for Michael Jordan if my guess about his HOF speech is wrong.

Kanye said on Leno he has issues regarding his mothers death which he's never resolved, and needs to now go do so. I don't know if that's his media handler's speaking or not, because he's been acting out for years before her death, hence my position that he suffers from poor charachter amoung other things.

Serena on the other hand was in the heat of the moment in the middle of a very high stakes game, with a load of cash on the line. Looking at the tape of it, she was accused of a foot foul, something she's not done all year, but suddenly in the last 2 weeks has been getting calls on. In her mind, there could be the smallest chance of conspiracy due to the time the foot-fault was called. 15-30, 5-6 down, a very important stage of the match. I doubt any conspiracy, but if put in her shoes with those circumstances, I can understand her anger. In any case, as long as she doesn't continue a profanity laced McEnroe type trend, then I'm willing to take it in stride as a stand alone Bruce Banner moment.

TROLL . . . ish.

I do not believe upbringing is the issue moreso than freedom of speech and action.

The media, FCC and society as a whole is more tolerant in letting folks say whatever the h*ll they feel on the airwaves. See what I mean? :laugh:

While I didn't watch the VMAs, I was told the host of the show was a little vulgar. I don't imagine that was a reflection of his upbringing. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

"Your gifts and talents will take you places, but your character will keep you there."...Unknown

Serena got cauhgt up-she has been a gracious and professional player her entire career. But someone needs to send this to Kanye and MJ...

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

"Your gifts and talents will take you places, but your character will keep you there."...Unknown

Serena got cauhgt up-she has been a gracious and professional player her entire career. But someone needs to send this to Kanye and MJ...

Yeah, she's always been an emotional player, but never an abusive one. She definitely crossed a major line and deserves a suspension of some sort - you don't threaten anyone, but in particular, officials are sacrosanct in sports. Heck, Federer should draw a fine for his exchange with the Chair last night. Anyway, I forgive the future Mrs. kanker - this time.... ;)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Regardless of the reasons for someone's bad behaviour, these sorts of things will continue to happen as long as the public allows people like West to get away with it without repercussions. I didn't watch it, but saw clips on the news. It sounded like there were lots of boos in the crowd, and someone said later in the sow that there were more boos when he was referenced. If that's true, it's encouraging.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Kanye said on Leno he has issues regarding his mothers death which he's never resolved, and needs to now go do so.

Practicing alcoholics have all kinds of excuses for their behavior. All kinds of reason to not deal with their addictions.

I know. I've been there.

Actually Kanye was right though. I don't know about all time, but Beyonce's "Single Ladies" was the best female video of the year. He just went about stating it in a whacked out way.

Steve said: Not that I relish taking up for Taylor Swift, but her age explains what she and Kanye both suffer from. Neither has learned the difference between famous and important.

At least Taylor doesn't go around telling everyone how famous and/or how important she is. If that is happening you never hear about it. Everyone I know who is familiar with her says she is very down to earth.

Though this was a thread about these two individuals, and I did open with "Kanye is a dick", I then included Taylor only to try and comment on the larger societal picture.

We Americans have embraced and nurtured a culture that rewards fame above all else. We have always elevated our sports figures above our teachers, and our movie stars above our scientists, but now we celebrate whoever ate the most bugs on an island, morbidly obese people who lose 40 pounds, airhead heiress sluts, "Real" housewives and strippers. Richard Hatch, John & Kate, Omarosa, The Bachelor, the bachelorette, Sanjia, Heidi & Spencer.....it goes on and on.

So many people who make no contribution to the greater good, and yet we still treat them as if they are "important". It's no wonder so many of them believe it. And this is nothing compared to the pedestal we place our pop stars on. For every Beyonce there are 10 Kanyes. Brittney, Lindsey, Gaga, T-Pain, Chris Brown, Susan Boyle... :D

I've been working closely with recording artists for over 30 years. While it almost always takes some ego to push your way to the top of a heap, the majority have been gracious, decent folks, happy for their success and grateful for the help they've received. In the last 10 years, it has become more and more common to see new artists, already full of themselves, arrogant and demanding before they've even got their first record out. They've never played in clubs, they've paid no dues (and often can't sing). They got their record deal because of their looks (often bought by the label or Daddy at the Plastic Surgeons) and they've arrived with a huge sense of entitlement. They are "Stars" in their minds before they've achieved anything of worth.

Jeeeeeze...... I'm starting to depress myself :sick:

Kanye's got it way, way worse than Taylor, but it's pervasive. The Frankensteins are running the asylum and there are monsters everywhere.

Steve said: Not that I relish taking up for Taylor Swift, but her age explains what she and Kanye both suffer from. Neither has learned the difference between famous and important.

At least Taylor doesn't go around telling everyone how famous and/or how important she is. If that is happening you never hear about it. Everyone I know who is familiar with her says she is very down to earth.

Though this was a thread about these two individuals, and I did open with "Kanye is a dick", I then included Taylor only to try and comment on the larger societal picture.

We Americans have embraced and nurtured a culture that rewards fame above all else. We have always elevated our sports figures above our teachers, and our movie stars above our scientists, but now we celebrate whoever ate the most bugs on an island, morbidly obese people who lose 40 pounds, airhead heiress sluts, "Real" housewives and strippers. Richard Hatch, John & Kate, Omarosa, The Bachelor, the bachelorette, Sanjia, Heidi & Spencer.....it goes on and on.

So many people who make no contribution to the greater good, and yet we still treat them as if they are "important". It's no wonder so many of them believe it. And this is nothing compared to the pedestal we place our pop stars on. For every Beyonce there are 10 Kanyes. Brittney, Lindsey, Gaga, T-Pain, Chris Brown, Susan Boyle... :D

I've been working closely with recording artists for over 30 years. While it almost always takes some ego to push your way to the top of a heap, the majority have been gracious, decent folks, happy for their success and grateful for the help they've received. In the last 10 years, it has become more and more common to see new artists, already full of themselves, arrogant and demanding before they've even got their first record out. They've never played in clubs, they've paid no dues (and often can't sing). They got their record deal because of their looks (often bought by the label or Daddy at the Plastic Surgeons) and they've arrived with a huge sense of entitlement. They are "Stars" in their minds before they've achieved anything of worth.

Kanye's got it way, way worse than Taylor, but it's pervasive. The Frankensteins are running the asylum and there are monsters everywhere.

Yeah, but look on the bright side....
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

+10000000

You cannot compare Kanye and Serena. He pouts every time he does not win an award. She's been a class act for years and had one outburst. It bothers me that the networks make such a big deal over her outburst, but still hire McEnroe to sit in the booth.

There is only one good way to deal with this. I consciously refused to watch the premier episode of Jay Leno's show after learning Kenye was scheduled to appear.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

You cannot compare Kanye and Serena.

You got that right. Serena's got talent.

I know I shouldn't, but I give the ultra-talented a little leeway when it comes to behavior like this. In the keyboard world Keith Jarrett comes to mind.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

President Obama: "He is a (jack)ass."

Fixed. :)

Actually, it was an off the cuff remark that should not have gotten out.

Of course, the Prez should always believe the mic is hot. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Archived