Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

MTV Awards

stepay

Any of you watch that? I actually wouldn't have, but my wife was interested, and my daughter had it DVR'd so she could see it later, so I decided to see what it was all about. My comments:

1) Doesn't anyone just sing anymore? I realize I'm just getting old, but Lady GaGa and Pink...just not my cup of tea. I guess you need to float off the stage these days.

2) Kanye West is an ass. Taking the mic away from a teenage girl who just won for the first time to complain that Beyonce didn't win. Man, such low class. My initial thought was that he just wanted some publicity, but I changed my mind on that. I think he's just so full of himself that he thinks people give a crap what he has to say as soon as he wants to say it.

Don't think I'll ever willingly watch those awards again.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

"Do the chickens have large talons?"

• Replies 119
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I do not watch awards or music-based reality shows. I only pay enough attention to Pop music to keep my ear to the street.

Someone did call me about it after I had already read the news about Kanye upstaging Swift. He has been a certified clown well past his 15 minutes.

I take nothing away from West as a producer within the style but IMO, the only reason he is a major artist is due to a decline in Hip-Hop.

Nonetheless, these episodes are proof-positive that Pop music is in my rearview mirror. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

by timwat:

I'll just say this - it's been a bad week to find real character in celebrities.

Unless you are looking for the CRIMINAL character. Say, Serena Williams. She DID NOT apologize for threatening to kill that official that made a call she didn't like. Total melt down by a totally classless sore loser. :sick:

She was getting a can of whup-ass put on her and she was being a cry baby.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

by timwat:

I'll just say this - it's been a bad week to find real character in celebrities.

Unless you are looking for the CRIMINAL character. Say, Serena Williams. She DID NOT apologize for threatening to kill that official that made a call she didn't like. Total melt down by a totally classless sore loser. :sick:

She was getting a can of whup-ass put on her and she was being a cry baby.

Mike T.

She didn't threaten to kill anybody. She did apologize. She did step over the line though. (pun intended)
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Kanye is a dick, whose small amount of talent is overshadowed by his monumental (unjustified) ego. Not that I relish taking up for Taylor Swift, but her age explains what she and Kanye both suffer from. Neither has learned the difference between famous and important. Sadly we live in a culture obsessed with fame and oblivious to the difference.

Kanye reminds me of a statement I saw about a certain politician (who shall remain nameless). To borrow and twist just a bit:

His ego, in relation to his talent, is like a jet engine on a golf cart.

Kanye is a dick, whose small amount of talent is overshadowed by his monumental (unjustified) ego. Not that I relish taking up for Taylor Swift, but her age explains what she and Kanye both suffer from. Neither has learned the difference between famous and important. Sadly we live in a culture obsessed with fame and oblivious to the difference.

Kanye reminds me of a statement I saw about a certain politician (who shall remain nameless). To borrow and twist just a bit:

His ego, in relation to his talent, is like a jet engine on a golf cart.

I don't know much about Taylor Swift (other than my daughter likes her), so I don't know to what you're referring when you say she hasn't learned the difference between famous an important, but as she's not yet even 20 years old, I'm willing to give her the benefit of the doubt with regard to not fully appreciating how the world works just yet. No doubt that she was robbed of her moment by Kanye West, and it's hard for me to find any fault with her in that context.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

Wait a minute - they still do the Video Music Awards? They still make music videos??? Even if they do, what does MTV have to do with it? :P

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Why lump Swift in with West (the comment about fame/importance)?

All she did was begin to accept what was, for her, a very important award, and West stormed the stage in his Hennessey-induced stupor and shat all over her big moment. She stood there like a waif and then clearly didn't know what to say when the thug West relinquished the microphone.

This is the 4th or 5th time he's done this. Just ban him from awards shows.

Of course, this has gleaned some great press for the VMA's as we're all talking about it today even though very few of us probably watched it (I didn't, I watched the outburst on one of the news sites).

Muzikteechur is Lonnie, in Kittery, Maine.

HS music teacher: Concert Band, Marching Band, Jazz Band, Chorus, Music Theory, AP Music Theory, History of Rock, Musical Theatre, Piano, Guitar, Drama.

Wait a minute - they still do the Video Music Awards? They still make music videos??? Even if they do, what does MTV have to do with it? :P

Well put, sir. I think you now need to pay extra to get an alternate MTV that actually plays music.

I would quote pretty much everything else in this thread, but that would be too long. Great points all around.

But this a big OT!

Yep, I find it hard to believe labels are still spending money on music videos for certain styles. Especially when folks are getting multimillion hits on youtube armed with nothing more than a camcorder and/or computer and software. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Why lump Swift in with West (the comment about fame/importance)?

I'm not "lumping" her based on this event. I've met her and been around her a couple of times. And I have friends who have been around her more. She is a sweet girl and although I'm not a big fan of her records or her singing, I think she is quite talented. She does write all of those songs, regardless of what you think of them.

However, she has been on a tremendously fast ride to the top and it's starting to show in her behavior.

Like Kanye, she has started believing her press, which I described as not knowing the difference between famous and important. It's difficult when you are surrounded with so many people whose income depends on your happiness.

Like Kanye, she has started believing her press, which I described as not knowing the difference between famous and important.

From inside sources, West was an a**hat well before the press got wind of him.

Otherwise, it is unfortunate what fame, money and a cadre of a**-kissing folks including adults can do to an individual.

Sadly, these folks don't have to look any further than "Where Are They Now?". :laugh::cool:

PD

He's been reading too much of his own press..he thinks people actually CARE what he thinks.

But there is some good here. Taylor Swift now has a #1 video (good for her despite what muso's may think/feel), Beyonce showed the world why she is a diva and KW is seemingly solidifying his persona non grata personality.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

I guess the real shame here is that Kanye had a point. What he said was totally true. Had he made that comment peacefully in the backstage interviews, I'd be totally behind him. Otherwise, he's an attention starved a-hole.

Oh, and Serena Williams is not a criminal, nor the devil or hitler. She's one of the brightest stars in the history of woman's tennis who simply had a *Bruce Banner moment(See Hal McRae).

TROLL . . . ish.

I guess the real shame here is that Kanye had a point. What he said was totally true.

I can't help but wondering if West knew Beyonce was going to win the video award and got confused when Swift was accepting an award instead. It could be Kanye wasn't sharp enough to know that the video award hadn't been awarded yet.

A fair number of conservative blogs are eating this up as an act of racism or sexism or both. Fairly nasty stuff when it gets politicized but there is one telling point: it likely plays well among certain parts of his fan base and won't hurt his nearly non-existent 'street cred' a bit.

Steve said: Not that I relish taking up for Taylor Swift, but her age explains what she and Kanye both suffer from. Neither has learned the difference between famous and important.

At least Taylor doesn't go around telling everyone how famous and/or how important she is. If that is happening you never hear about it. Everyone I know who is familiar with her says she is very down to earth.

Beyonce showed the world why she is a diva and KW is seemingly solidifying his persona non grata personality.

Wait a sec....from what I understand, when Beyonce won a later award, she called Taylor Swift up to the podium so she could get her chance to read her acceptance speech. If that's true, I'd call that a classy move.

Beyonce showed the world why she is a diva and KW is seemingly solidifying his persona non grata personality.

Wait a sec....from what I understand, when Beyonce won a later award, she called Taylor Swift up to the podium so she could get her chance to read her acceptance speech. If that's true, I'd call that a classy move.

It is true, and it was very classy...though to be fair, had she NOT done that, she would have been criticized. That said, she seemed very genuine in giving Taylor her moment.

Steve (Stevie Ray)

by Kanker:

She didn't threaten to kill anybody. She did apologize. She did step over the line though. (pun intended)

I heard her "apology" on ESPN radio, and NO she did NOT apologize. Listen to what she said, she was skirting the issue. She's a classless cry-baby.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

Taylor had her moment, and a full fifteen minutes worth in recycling already. She ought to send Kanye a case of Hennessy and a thank you note. Had he not been such a classy guy, I'd still have no idea of who she is, and no idea that there were MTV awards. He gave her more press than she could ever buy, and ditto for MTV and the awards show. Even folks who are aggressively disinterested know all about it.

--wmp

Taylor had her moment, and a full fifteen minutes worth in recycling already. She ought to send Kanye a case of Hennessy and a thank you note. Had he not been such a classy guy, I'd still have no idea of who she is, and no idea that there were MTV awards. He gave her more press than she could ever buy, and ditto for MTV and the awards show. Even folks who are aggressively disinterested know all about it.

Makes one wonder whether the whole thing was staged.

Archived