Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jazz Drummers

Dave Ferris

On a Keyboard forum ?!!

Yeah, like on piano, and all instruments, there are quite a few great young cats playing. Bill Stewart, Matt Wilson, Brian Blade and Antonio here are few that come to mind.

I saw him with Brecker on his last visit to LA a few summers back at the Bowl.

I've seen him with Metheny has well. I love his touch and overall concept.

I think he says some things in this video that apply to all instruments. Looks as if he started out like any other kid wanting to play rock but found the right teacher and his calling.

Really nice piano (uncredited) in the background. Good to see the youngins' all ears, he's giving them an education. How else could a younger person learn about this music today? This is so critical to keeping the Jazz alive.

Great drummers and bass players are so important to us piano players. They provide the support, interaction and inspiration that is so vital to trio playing.

https://soundcloud.com/dave-ferris

2005 NY Steinway D

Yamaha AvantGrand N3X, P-515

• Replies 20
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No time right now to watch that video, but you mean Antonio Sanchez, right? He's absolutely fantastic.

I've seen him for the first time a couple years ago with Alex Spiagin, David Kikowski, and Scott Coley, and they played the best modern jazz I've heard in quite a while. A very young bassist friend of mine was there, and it was fun to watch him stare at Antonio with his mouth open the whole time... at some point he said, "this drummer reads your mind!", which I guess it's the best compliment a jazzer can receive. I couldn't disagree. :)

Nice video and drumming. The best musicians on any instrument often have that instinctive "mind reading" thing going on in their listening and response. It's a great feeling when everyone in a group operates like that.

I've been lucky to play with some great drummers, and besides instincts, technique and talent, what always struck me about them is the way they economize energy for broader dynamics.

In this video, anyone can see that it's almost technically effortless. He's using about half of his energy so he can play with total control, and with 'headroom' left for louder dynamics. This also applies to any instrument.

FWIW, Antonio Sanchez studied classical piano at the conservatory level.

Here's another teaching video worth watching:

He discusses the relation between hand independence in piano playing and drumming.

The man is simply ridiculous. During a PMG concert @ Beacon Theater, I watched him play "The Gathering Sky" from 20 feet away. Ridiculous. Hearing Sanchez, Metheny, and Richard Bona play "Bright Size Life" was overwhelming.

When he's not touring, he's now teaching @ NYU. How'd you like a lesson with him?!? The only issue is that many of the "big name" jazz musicians on the faculty (ex. John Scofield) are rarely around to teach.

A VERY young drummer to look out for is Jason Faulkner. Last Feb., my daughter played in a big band at the Charles Mingus Competition in NYC. At that time, Jason Faulkner was in high school in Philly, but he wasn't at the competition to play in a HS band. He was there to play in "Mingus Dynasty" group with Alex Sipiagin, Conrad Herwig, Vincent Herring, and Helen Sung. Straight out of high school, he took over for Jeff "Tain" Watts in Branford Marsalis' band. Very impressive.

I love good drummers. I had really good luck with drummers when I was leading a trio in NYC. I didn't have a regular band for a long time, and I didn't know many people-- maybe one decent drummer to begin with. The first time he couldn't do a gig I booked, he gave me a few names. Each of these guys would give me a few more names of guys who were even better, and so on. I ended up with a list of like 30 drummers.

Somehow, they were all excellent drummers, guys who play with the big boys, and way out of my league. Rodney Green, Jeff Clapp, Ari Hoenig-- not exactly household names, but heavy cats who get calls from the household names.

I figured out that some of the really good ones were more likely to take the gig if it was short notice and they weren't likely to get a call from a real bandleader. So I would start calling down the list a day or two before the gig. I never worried that I wouldn't find a drummer-- I never even got to the bottom of the list! Ah, New York!

That was a period in my own compositions where I viewed the melody and harmony, and the whole tune as decoration for the drums. I love drums.

On a Keyboard forum ?!!

Great drummers and bass players are so important to us piano players. They provide the support, interaction and inspiration that is so vital to trio playing.

Ameeyun' - preachin' to the choir Dave - trio or any size setting...

After watching the video, I would like to make a motion that Antonio be allowed to continue to play drums, and educate our youth.

Can I get someone to second the motion?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Great video and amazing playing. I really liked his point about dynamics and contrast!

A VERY young drummer to look out for is Jason Faulkner. Last Feb., my daughter played in a big band at the Charles Mingus Competition in NYC. At that time, Jason Faulkner was in high school in Philly, but he wasn't at the competition to play in a HS band. He was there to play in "Mingus Dynasty" group with Alex Sipiagin, Conrad Herwig, Vincent Herring, and Helen Sung. Straight out of high school, he took over for Jeff "Tain" Watts in Branford Marsalis' band. Very impressive.

Right on the money there! I saw Brandford's quartet with Faulkner this summer. He was unbelievable! Boundless energy and creativity, great musicianship and talent. He came back out after the end of the show to pack up his sticks and got another standing ovation (after the two or three the whole band got during the show).

I was glad to see someone mention Ari Hoenig. . .awkward looking but a brilliant and inspiring player.
I'm glad to see Hoenig mentioned too - an absolutely unique drummer.

I haven't played with him. I've been lucky to play with a few great drummers, Billy Drummond, Keith Copeland, Clarence Penn, Joey Barron, Winard Harper, some others.

Mark Zeger, that's very cool about Faulkner. I know the bass player who was in the first incarnation of that Mingus Dynasty band. They did a private concert for Monk at the "Baroness's" house before he died, while he sat in the next room watching TV. :)

Great video and amazing playing. I really liked his point about dynamics and contrast!

Right on the money there! I saw Brandford's quartet with Faulkner this summer. He was unbelievable! Boundless energy and creativity, great musicianship and talent. He came back out after the end of the show to pack up his sticks and got another standing ovation (after the two or three the whole band got during the show).

for the shake of Google-search, his name is Justin Faulkner and, indeed, he's fantastic

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

FWIW, Antonio Sanchez studied classical piano at the conservatory level.

Here's another teaching video worth watching:

He discusses the relation between hand independence in piano playing and drumming.

:shocked: Good God that is multi-brained!

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Enjoyed those videos a lot. Peter Erskine is a drummer I highly respect - he turned me on to acoustic jazz when I heard him with Alan Pasqua and Dave Carpenter years ago (and he's a very nice person, too). On their Badlands album the drums are like a third melody instrument.
"You'll never be as good as you could have been, but you can always be better than you are." - MoKen

I was glad to see someone mention Ari Hoenig. . .awkward looking but a brilliant and inspiring player.

Yes, brilliant. I had no idea who he was when he showed up for the gig. I had called him the night before, from my big list of drummers' numbers "I got your name from so-and-so". It was a tiny little club on Avenue B called Rue B with barely enough room for piano, bass, and drums, and it barely payed at all. I was pretty much fresh from Vermont, trying to get established in the City. It was clear that I was in over my head.

Later, when a drummer friend asked who I had on the gig (the friend had been booked), his jaw dropped when I told him. My friend's reaction impressed me almost as much as Ari's playing did.

for the shake of Google-search, his name is Justin Faulkner and, indeed, he's fantastic

My bad.

You can probably Google "bad ass drummer who's going to be around for a long time" and his name will come up.:D

He's coming to Athens next month with Branford Marsalis and Joey Calderazzo. I'll try to be there

Be grateful for what you've got - a Nord, a laptop and two hands

Just for the record, the 4 guys mentioned in the OP, can we really call them "young" cats on the scene at this point?

Justin is a nice kid and is at Berklee now so you Boston folk will be seeing him around more I'm sure. I love living in Philly because of how blessed we are with so many great rhythm section players and always more coming up. There are a few other people you all will be hearing about over the next few years too. :)

SK- still jealous about you playing with Clarence Penn, and add Billy Drummond to that list too... Swinging dudes!

Archived