Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Finally took it out of the house!

Wally Malone

Last weekend before I left for my trip to Iowa I took my URB out and played with a young guy that lives down the street from who is a great B3 player even at his young age. We played some jazz standards and when leaving gave me three CD's of music he plays, most of it being from great organists like Jimmy Smith and even a few Booker T. & the MG's. He and I have been trying to get together for a while and it finally worked out. Since I hadn't played out I was concerned how I would hold up physically and how my intonation would be. Well, it's probably getting close to a year that I've been shedding on it and that all payed off. I really enjoyed myself and didn't experience any pain or blisters and my intonation was good. I'm looking forward to the next time we get together. I would think after a few times of doing this we could actually book some gigs.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like a blast, Wally :thu: I love the sound of a B3 :love: I confessed to my misses last night (after she asked why in blazing saddles I ever decided to pick up the bass) that my original instrument of choice was the Hammond organ :grin: Never got around to it, though. Maybe someday ...

I hope your collaboration will continue and some gigs will ensue ! And that you'd record the lot and post it somewhere for us to hear :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I have to say, having recently acquired an electric URB (EURB?) that I'm having a blast working with it, yet at the same time the fact that I'm nowhere near as proficient on it as I am on the electric bass* is a bit daunting and demotivating. Perhaps I should get a teacher, but either I am looking in the wrong directions or I am in the wrong neck o' the woods, cos there seem to be no takers ...

* that's not to say I'm proficient on the electric bass :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

For transporting his B3 he has one of the new trucks like the shipping companies are using and has a ramp. He says he doesn't mind moving it and can wheel it in and be set up in about 10 minutes.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Archived