Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Bon Voyage, Ashley

Cthulhu Fhtagn

Anyone wasting considerable time and resources reading the OT Drop In thread will know that I took my URB to the Lord High King of Violin Luthiers - Hammond Ashley - in Western Washington for a "tune up".

The nice people there pointed out that due to poor workmanship, the sound post was too short (very funny, Moot) and the bridge was misplaced causing the laminate top to start to collapse and the binding to come undone (about $280).

They also noted that some neck work was badly needed due to poor setup ($470). So I drove three hours, each way, to Issiquah to pick up the URB and deliver it to the Ted Brown's in Richland.

I asked the rental person about the qualifications of their luthier (which she didn't know) and was told they would take it back to Tacoma and have the work done by their own luthiers. I pointed out that the workmanship and set up issues existed since I leased the bass and it came from the Tacoma store were the luthiers alledgedly live.

So, the URB is soon to be on its way to where it is dark and cloudy and cold and rainy, where she came from. I had a really good time and learned a lot playing the upright over the last year, but next time I'm going to spend more time and energy, not to mention the knowledge of the instrument I've accrued, in the procurement of the next URB.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

• Replies 6
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Way cool ! I took my WAV to practice the other day, and after two songs the singer got overly enthousiastic and said "play the whole rehearsal on that thing" so we proceeded to play "Stray Cat Strut" and I totally killed it :( No feel, bad intonation, no swing ... What great fun to have an (electric) upright :grin:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Sorry for your loss Flank but your attitude sounds good and yes, you still have the WAV and it is much easier to ride like a stick horse.

Short soundpost? Story of my life pal.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

Sorry to hear about your doghouse Flank. The WAV4 is a nice alternative, but I can definitely understand your desire to get another acoustic instrument. I've been thinking long and hard about doing that, too. I keep on coming back to considering one of the Engelhardt basses (IIRC, Bob Gollihur deals in those). But I've also been thinking seriously about checking out a used instrument, too.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

The wife and I have been talking. She would like to see me back behind the doghouse. Getting the Englehart from Bob and having it shipped to Hammond Ashely for the setup is an option (and saves me $70 in shipping cost).

After sitting in the music room since May practically unused - last week I was called by an Oregon Jazz Standards band playing locally and needing a URB player with bass (scale money, 2 hours). And our original trio wants to do a reunion for a fundraiser for Junior Acheivement with all the local CEO/COO/Presidents of the major firms in the area. Had to pass on the former, the WAV is good enough for the latter.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Archived