Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Outkaster - Seeing Red?

Joe Muscara

OK OK tough guys! LOL. I always thought Billy carried one of Bill Brown's chops and also was using a Korg CX-3 at one point? My dept closed yesterday so I was not around. Got Springsteen tickets this morning so I am really pshcyed about that.

"Danny, ci manchi a tutti. La E-Street Band non e' la stessa senza di te. Riposa in pace, fratello"

noblevibes.com

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
OK OK tough guys! LOL. I always thought Billy carried one of Bill Brown's chops and also was using a Korg CX-3 at one point?
I'm not just saying this to piss you off, but I'm like 95% sure that Billy was using a Hammond before this, just not sure if it was an XK-3 or an XK-1 but I do think it was an XK.

He was using a chop back in the Lowell days, and perhaps when Feat got back together too.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've seen Billy play a B-3.

I've seen him play a C-3 (mine).

I've seen him play his own chop.

I've seen him play a HS XK3.

Now I've seen him play a Nord.

It's pretty obvious that the Feat gigs so much, and in so many varied circumstances, that Billy plays "provided" gear a good deal of the time.

Moe

---

I've seen Billy play a B-3.

I've seen him play a C-3 (mine).

I've seen him play his own chop.

I've seen him play a HS XK3.

Now I've seen him play a Nord.

It's pretty obvious that the Feat gigs so much, and in so many varied circumstances, that Billy plays "provided" gear a good deal of the time.

yeah, I would guess that there's a lot of backline going on. It's too expensive and difficult to transport gear these days.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

I know he gigs provided gear when they go outside of the US. He's a Korg guy, and in clips of him from Jamaica, he's playing an RD-700 (SX, I think). But in the US, I've usually seen him with the same two Korgs and the organ du jour. And the X-stands. ;)

This was a US gig.

OTOH, Feat let Shawn Murphy go for money reasons. So maybe you're right. I guess we'll see when other clips of them show up.

I thought he was also a Hammond endorsee, but he's not on that page any more. That could explain the change as well.

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

No I did not take it in a bad way at all.
The whole point of this thread was to get you riled up because Billy was playing an Electro. The fact that he might have given up a Hammond to do it was just icing. ;):thu:

Billy switched to an XK-3 about 3 years ago as far as I know. Until then for smaller shows or gear cartage logistics he would sometimes just use the synth organ in his Korg SGx/Pro. He has used that on CD for different texture I guess or studio logistics again I would guess. I had an SGx/Pro and it did sit well in the mix for a synth organ.

About 5 years ago they played a show here at Planting Fields on LI and he had the chop which up close looked like the very chop he had on the cover of Waiting for Columbus. When I saw it at Planting Fields up close I realized how old it was and realized it most likely was the WFC cover chop.

It looked like a old Harrington or Oakland chop but could have just been custom or a one off or private job! It sounded to me like it had a transistor pre-amp whenever I heard the band live but it didn't sound 'nasal' to me on WFC if it was that organ! Maybe the album and picture were from different gigs...

lb

CP-50, YC 73,  FP-80, PX5-S, NE-5d61, Kurzweil SP6, XK-3, CX-3, Hammond XK-3, Yamaha YUX Upright, '66 B3/Leslie 145/122

Archived