Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Outkaster - Seeing Red?

Joe Muscara

I was watching a video on Facebook from Richie Hayward's last performance with Little Feat before the time he's now taking off to treat his liver problems (BTW, you can find out more and contribute if you wish here), and I noticed something odd about Billy's keyboard rig. Something about the board he was using for organ sounds. I managed to grab a screenshot, I hope you can tell what's going on.

http://blue-funk.com/NonBandPictures/Billy.jpg

:D

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

• Replies 38
  • Created
  • Last Reply
man, thow a keytar into the mix and it's all over!

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

And what are those STANDS he is using!!!!!!!??????
I knew you'd like that! :laugh:

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I was at a gig a few months ago when I saw the band put a Rhodes on an X Stand. That gave me some shivers, seeing such a big instrument on that kind of stand.

There goes the neighborhood........ :eek:.....But look at that left hand drawbutton technique....... perfect!

Jake

1967 B-3 w/(2) 122's, Nord C1w/Leslie 2101 top, Nord PedalKeys 27, Nord Electro 4D, IK B3X, QSC K12.2, Yamaha reface YC+CS+CP

"It needs a Hammond"

Really disappointed the guy whose screen name in the subject line hasn't replied. :P

Not a fan of the ironing keystand either. They just look so....ironing boardish.

Back in the 80s when I was going to Columbia, one of my fellow students (can't remember his name unfortunately) was a really talented keyboardist/singer, very much into the British Synth stuff (Depeche/SoftCell/etc.), and he was a character: Headband and jeans and blond afro, Juno 60, and an ironing board with butterfly cover. He could PLAY....loved his songs and parts. Wish I could remember his name.

Hitting "Play" does NOT constitute live performance. -Me.

Like this one?

No...that's an ironing board... :idea:

Is your prejudice based on anything, or are you just hatin' for sport?

dB

Having had to suffer through more X stands than I can recall on backlined gigs, there are a few things that are guaranteed with X stands.

1) Leg room and pedal accommodation is difficult at best

2) They adjust in a way that makes it difficult to impossible to find a keyboard height that works compared to the height of the bench (typically and organ bench) and the height of, say, the B3 that I'm playing. Even without a B3 and its bench to worry about, the height change from one setting to the next is extreme. In other words, there is no possibility to fine tune the height of the keyboard.

3) It looks like I have an ironing board set up on stage.

They are nice and cheap and light and portable, and as a result have almost 0 flexibility.

A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

There's a big difference. You sit. I stand. My pedals fit under there perfectly.

Also, I like my boards tiered very close - literally one right above the other, and flat. There aren't a lot of stand choices that give one that option. Two double braced X stands does....

Re: the look - never bothered me at all. :)

http://i5.photobucket.com/albums/y172/davebryce/dBPolice.jpg

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

There's a big difference. You sit. I stand. My pedals fit under there perfectly.

Also, I like my boards tiered very close - literally one right above the other, and flat. There aren't a lot of stand choices that give one that option. Two double braced X stands does....

Re: the look - never bothered me at all. :)

dB

What he said!

I cut the arms on the second level down, and re-welded them, so I can get the boards extremly close.

I used to use an apex, so now there's way more room for pedals than before! :thu:

and (at least the model I use) is rock solid stable, no wobbling!!

The trick is to get a heavy duty one. Mine has 30x30mm tubing. It has no bounce. The upper tier has depth and angle adjustment and I added some extra holes to the height adjustment so I can get the upper keyboard positioned just right over the lower one. My pedal board fits perfectly between the frame. I also use this when I sit (which is rare). But, to each there own.

(Dave, I also did the two x stand thing. I used one for the bottom keyboard and stacked two keyboards on the back x stand but positioned them at a 45 degree angle over the left half of my lower keyboard).

http://keyoctave.superfreehost.org/Orange%20Peel%202.JPG

Kurzweil PC3, Hammond SK-1 + Ventilator, Korg Triton. 2 JBL Eon 510's.

I need to post some recent photos of my live rig. I have no major problems with the x-stand for rehearsal type gigs, but when put under scrutiny of live video and paparazzi, they do lack a bit of stage presence (my opinion). Like kanker mentioned, the x-stands inhibit pedal placement and what the player can do in terms of movement behind their rig. They are practical and inexpensive, but other options provide us keyboard guys some more leeway on stage. Nothing is yet perfect.

Regards,

Eric

Damn you trolls. I read this whole thread just hoping to see his response.

On a side note, incredible restraint about Eric's preferred stand was duly noted.

;)

I like to move it, move it (except The Wurly which can be a bit temperamental and the 122 for obvious reasons)

Damn you trolls. I read this whole thread just hoping to see his response.

On a side note, incredible restraint about Eric's preferred stand was duly noted.

;)

One might say his preference was left invisible...
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

Archived