Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Key Of "Unforgettable"

Nicky

Lots of tunes have temporary tonics. Star Eyes is full of them, Like Someone in Love, I Love You, Just You Just Me, and on and on. Stella uses the V as a temporary tonic. Whispering Pines by The Band is another great example. I think Unforgettable is just an extreme example of the power of a temporary tonic.

I think temporary tonics is a different subject. That's where a song temporarily modulates to a different key. As you say, there are tons of examples of that. But most of them end in the same key they started (that is not to say that they necessarily started on the 1 chord).

Unforgettable is a different kind of thing - it starts in one key, and cleverly ends in a different one. I didn't think I'd have to explain this.

See, I view that as a temporary tonic. It may start there, but it doesn't live there the way the rest of the tune lives in the parent key.
A ROMpler is just a polyphonic turntable.

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
In order to break down that "musical universe unto itself", the best thing to do is play GS as a funky jam. :laugh::cool:

Hah! Yeah, now there's an insane idea: a reharm of Giant Steps as a one-chord (E7), funky, James Brown jam.

Now that's twisted ;)

"Just Friends" goes a fifth higher. If you start it in C, it will end in G.

Just Friends doesn't count, because the key signature doesn't actually change - it just starts on the IV chord.

Um, I think it could be debated if that C chord (assuming the song ends in G) is really a IV degree. The C chord is usually preceded by its dominant. Then after a while it goes to G but *without* stating the dominant of the G key, then goes to C again thru a secondary dominant for the beginning of the second part. It's all rather ambiguous... if I just play the beginning of the song, my ear searches a resolution in C, or maybe in E minor. I think that part of the song's appeal is due to this ambivalence of tonal centers.

One thing worth mentioning - if a tune starts on anything other than I (or i), the introduction should not not set up the 'other than I or i' chord\tonality as a tonal target. :)

In other words, Just Friends in G major, starts on a C maj7 chord; don't make your introduction making C major your new tonic, prepare G major .... not C major.

It really only takes one time to learn this, but you don't want that 'one time' to be on a job.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

One thing worth mentioning - if a tune starts on anything other than I (or i), the introduction should not not set up the 'other than I or i' chord\tonality as a tonal target. :)

In other words, Just Friends in G major, starts on a C maj7 chord; don't make your introduction making C major your new tonic, prepare G major .... not C major.

It really only takes one time to learn this, but you don't want that 'one time' to be on a job.

This makes me wonder - do either Just Friends or Unforgettable have verses? I've honestly never looked too far into either one of those tunes to discover a verse.

kanker, you're much too quick. I edited my post several times before you copied it.

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

"Just Friends" could be thought of as starting on the 4 chord © in the key of G, so it can be thought of as all in one key.

Don't know "One For the Road"

The full title is "One For My Baby, and One More For the Road". Think Sinatra. :)

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

kanker, you're much too quick. I edited my post several times before you copied it.
Sorry about that ;)

Still, are you aware of verses for either of these songs? I'm looking through books, but only so many include verses.

"Just Friends" could be thought of as starting on the 4 chord © in the key of G, so it can be thought of as all in one key.

Don't know "One For the Road"

The full title is "One For My Baby, and One More For the Road". Think Sinatra. :)

heard the tune, just never played it

Good call Dave on "Spring Can Really Hang You Up The Most" that is a brilliant shift going into that last A. I was listening to this on the radio a few weeks ago and wondering why I don't play it more, definitely one of the more unique and beautiful standards.

Fwiw, I do something like :

Bbmaj7 2 beats to Ab13+11 or Eb7 +11 2 beats/ Gm9 2 beats to C11 2beats// back to home base of Fmaj7.

Even simpler is just to play BbMaj7 for a bar and then C7 for a bar, that's what I pretty much always did.

Put me in the camp of not considering Just Friends to be like this the way Unforgettable is. I hear that (J.F.) as starting on the IV pretty strongly.

Archived