Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Roland RD-700GX vs Nord Stage?

Manachi

Hi guys,

After weeks and weeks of trying to decide on a digital piano, I've come to another (hopefully my last) 'fork in the road'!

My recent top contenders have been the Roland FP4 and Roland FP7, but after the last few times going to the store I've *really* enjoyed the RD-700GX action, and the ivory emulation feel is just beautiful... When I first saw it I ruled it out as out of my price range, but I'm starting to think maybe I should just bite the bullet and spend that little bit extra (well more than a little bit!), and getting that keyboard. I do like the FP4 and the FP7 a lot, but the FP7 has that 'bottom out' action factor, and the FP4 is a little older now, and my thinking is that I'd sort of like the money I spend on a DP to be focused on the Action/Feel/Sound/Interface rather than Speakers/Session Partner, and I guess to some extent that's what the RD-700GX does.

The other keyboard I'm sort of curious about, but haven't yet tried, is the Nord Stage. It's a little bit more expensive than the RD-700GX again, and I'd have to try it before buying it - I've read that it doesn't have quite as good keybed as the RD... Is that true? I do like Clavia a hell of a lot, (Really like the Lead 2 & Lead 3 synthesisers), and from what I hear the organs etc are incredible. Anyone have any first hand experience or recommendations between these two units Stage & 700GX? I plan on mainly focusing on it for Jazz piano use, and I guess piano action & feel are first priority, but it wouldnt hurt if if had some useful stuff (sytnhesis etc) for my non-piano based electronic music production too

Any tips or advice? :) Which one wins on Action, Feel, Sound, Synthesis, MIDI controller etc?

Cheers,

Manachi

• Replies 26
  • Created
  • Last Reply

From your requirements, and from my own experiences with both instruments, I very much doubt that you'd find the action and acoustic piano sounds of the Stage acceptable in the long term, especially over the RD. The "other sounds" on the RD are only OK but fairly useable. You can expand that palette with the SRX add-on cards, but the material on them is fairly old.

The Stage is much lighter and more compact, and the ability to tweak sounds easily on the fly is a joy, but the sonic palette is more limited and the keybed is far less piano-like. The acoustic piano sounds are the most contentious part of the package - for me, they lack character and detail in the middle of the keyboard and can sound pretty non-acoustic through a PA.

Studio: Yamaha P515 | Yamaha Tyros 5 | Yamaha HX1 | Moog Sub 37

Road: Yamaha YC88 | Nord Electro 5D

My recent top contenders have been the Roland FP4 and Roland FP7, but after the last few times going to the store I've *really* enjoyed the RD-700GX action, and the ivory emulation feel is just beautiful...

Along with the finger to ear connection, that is a huge factor for me when buying a KB.

As Aidan mentioned, a few SRX cards will expand the sound palette. Also, when it comes to electronic music production, soft synths will too.

Sounds like the RD is your ax. Go for it. Welcome to the forum. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Nothing plays like an RD700GX, well except for the V-Piano. It's just a shame the RD sounds like a Roland...

True but it sounds like the OP has gotten past that hurdle i.e. FP4, FP7, etc. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Sorry to throw another wrinkle into your plans but I recently bought a closeout GEM PRP700 for basically nothing which has a lot of the same pianos as the GEM PR-X.

I play jazz as well and I've been very happy w/ the pianos of the instrument.

I believe there are more than a few people on this forums that play a Nord Stage coupled w/ a GEM RP-X. I think that would be a great balance of portability and a great sound set. The Ep's and organ of the stage are great BTW.

I don't know if I could take a 55 lb RD700gx to gigs frequently.

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

Nord Stage/Gem RPX Guilty as charged. It's a great combo. I have the Compact and for years giged w just the two.

Got more into jazz / real piano type gigs so now I use a Kurzweil PC1se - which I believe uses the same action as the Nord Stage - I think the piano is much stronger in the K than the Stage - the Stage B3 is terrific though not as good as a XK3c or CX3 IMHO.

as for the RD, 55 pounds is just too heavy to lug around twice a week - did Roland fix the key wear issues with the RD700GX. Some people say they can't get a good live sound out it piano wise.

I did a show and got an RD700SX and VK - I thought the feel of the SX was great and it sounded good on stage.

I am waiting to check out the s70xs - the new Korg piano is a fine looking keyboard and will probably be on the short list - check out the Kawai MP5 if you can. If I didn't already have a K2600R I would consider a PC3 - but it's heavy and I don't think it sounds THAT much different than my K2600R.

BLAAH BLAAH.

The GX is an awesome feeling board, and has a great connection between the keyboard and the sounds, bettered perhaps only by the V-Piano as mentioned. But it's a tank to haul around. Mine has never left the house since I got it. I don't have a case for it, so it probably never will. But, that was my intention all along.

The Stage is a great instrument for its sounds and portability. Now that I think of it, if the GX is barely within your price range, isn't the Stage way out of it?

For jazz piano, the GX seems the right way to go, but you'll have to consider the luggability if you're going to need to move it around.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Alternatively you could consider the Yamaha S90XS or ES. Shaves a couple of kilo off the Roland's weight and sonically more versatile. That's the way I'm headed.

Isn't the Yamaha S90xs still 49 lbs? That's only 6 less than the GX?

Another friend that I know that has the GX has noticed that there is considerable wear on the keys. Anybody else have this problem?

A lot of my jazz friends also use the Privia series (probably due to the price as well).

www.brianho.net

http://www.cdbaby.com/cd/brianho

www.youtube.com/brianhojazz

So far so good with the GX keys here, although I'm careful to clean them regularly with a slightly damp cloth. The Yammie S series is only 2.5kg lighter but they all count!

again guilty - I use the PX320 for rehearsals - I don't like the sound enough to do a job with it - but for jams and rehearsals it's great - very light and the piano sound is good. I don't care for any of the other sounds. The rhodes is terrible IMHO - I just heard that the local ash has the PX330 so I am going to check that out. The action is ok - not great - and not in the same league as the Roland or the Yamaha.

I put my RD700SX up for sale. The GX feels and sounds great. RD's are great for piano if all you need is piano. I never did like using other instrument sounds on the RD so I finally decided to let it go. I have an S90ES. Piano and organ are better on the RD. Everything else it better on the S90ES.
This post edited for speling.

just wait till the s90xs is out....I mean I have been following the Korg SV1 thread - and nothing I have read about it makes it sound better than the s90xs. I have a xs7 and it is great - except for the piano - but that Korg is one pretty board and the weight is a big plus. It's a long way from my Rhodes days in the 70s. I still remember the day I got my MKS20 midi'ed that to my DX7 and was in EP heaven. Ah Memories Like the corner of my mind....

Thanks so much for all your replies guys, it's really appreciated. This forum blows me away :D So much information so quickly - it's an absolute goldmine! Great community.

And as always, even more options & spanners in the works! ;)

Weight isn't actually too much of an issue for me at the moment (at least until I find a band or some gigs!), for the forseeable future it will be mostly home usage - so in that respect, in my case, the weight of the RD is probably a good trade off for the high quality action. I did hear, as a couple of people here mentioned, about the key wear on the RD which concerns me a lot. It'd be VERY disappointing to have the keys wear after forking out so much money for this unit - you'd think Roland would have tried to fix that as soon as they became aware of it. I read somewhere that the newer models did actually have this issue fixed? Not sure if that's true thoguh - can anyone confirm?

I've seen the s90es & xs pop up in my researching a bit too. No doubt it'd have a wider sonic range, and they do appeal in that I could get use out of them for my non-piano production stuff as well, but how does the action on those guys compare to the RD? (or to the Stage for that matter?)

And you're right Joe Muscara, the stage is pushing my budget. I was actualy thinking if one had the nice action from the RD, a Nord Electro might even be an option down the track, as you'd have the nice EP sounds, the 'more organ-like action' option, but also the RD piano action via MIDI if you need it? Just a thoguht...

Thanks again guys - you all rock :)

I have the 700 GX. I like acoustic sounds, especially after getting my AccuGrooves and QSC system, and I love the action and feel. I find it to be an expressive keyboard. I have had this keyboard for almost 3 months now and certainly noticed the key wear, especially on the middle keys. The wear started to appear within the first month but I have also noticed that in the last couple weeks it seems to have stopped. It is not so bad that I cant deal with it and I think Roland is still undecided on if they are ready to admit yet. Yet, there is a 3 year warranty on the keybed.

Still, I love this keyboard..electronically, it is my first. I have grown to like a couple of the Rhodes sims and a couple of the other sounds but I bought it for the piano and feel. As far as the organs go..I think I will let a Hammond xk3c cover that. chuckle.

I did notice that after playing constantly on this thing for a couple months, I played my acoustic spinet and it felt like I was playing an organ. I do love the feel and action but I didnt realize the workout.

J

Roland RD 700G, AccuGroove Tri-112-L's, QSC PLX 1804, Traynor K4, Fishman SoloAmp, Taylor 510.

From my perspective, the "wear" seems more visual than something I can feel so far, and I have what was probably an earlier model. I only notice it when I look for it.

As far as using an Electro for a sound module, that's what I do. Some don't like the acoustic piano sounds on the Electro 2, but the Electro 3 has the Stage pianos. Also, if you play the Electro pianos from a weighted action like the GX, they improve quite a bit (this has been discussed a bit in other threads). On top of that, the Electro gives you portability for rehearsals and jams.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I've seen the s90es & xs pop up in my researching a bit too. No doubt it'd have a wider sonic range, and they do appeal in that I could get use out of them for my non-piano production stuff as well, but how does the action on those guys compare to the RD? (or to the Stage for that matter?)

JMHO - RD has the best piano action followed by the S90. Stage comes in last. Granted I have only played a stage in the store and it was an early version. The S90 made me feel like I was playing a good keyboard. The RD made me feel connected to the piano sound. Your experience may be different.

This post edited for speling.

the 700sx (havnt tried a gx ) has more realistic action compared with s90es. the s90es action is lighter but easier to play. Then again it has been so long since I have practiced on a real piano that my fingers have probably gotten a little weak. at this point I can play expressively on the s90es and I am completely content with it through my mackie hr824mk2's

electro 3 arrives tomorrow!!!

I pulled the trigger! :) Am now the proud owner of an RD-700GX. The unit should arrive this week, I can't wait!

After so much to & fro-ing, There's absolutely no DP I would be happier with. (Except perhaps the V-Piano ;) , but that's about double the amount I'd be willing to pay for a DP)

Thanks again for all the great advice guys :)

IMNSHO, the V-Piano has the best finger to sound connection of any DP I've played. Ever. The PHA-III action (V-Piano) is a noticeable improvement on the PHA-II (RD-700GX).
+1

Hmm.. I had a different impression. I tried the V-Piano last week in Gothenburg. The action seems quite shallow... i think the GX feels better.... but yeah the V-Piano sound was superb... a little metallic at times but much better than the GX for sure... ;-)

Nice choice, Manachi. I'm sure you won't be disappointed. Now you've got your board, stick around the forum!

Congrats, Manachi. Enjoy that GX and hope you stick around.

Cheers guys, and thanks very much for being so welcoming. I absolutely intend to stick around - this is a fantastic forum :)

• 2 weeks later...

Archived