Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Paul McCartney Cameos

OldTuna

Throughout his long, distinguished career, Sir Paul has made some appearances playing and singing on other artists records. We're all aware of his work with Michael Jackson and his contributions to the Rolling Stones "We Love You" and "Their Satanic Majesties Request". His drumming and vocals on Steve Miller's "In My Dark Hour" (credited to one Paul Ramon)and his background vocals on James Taylor's "Rock and Roll Is Music Now" are memorable.

He worked on Jackie Lomax's first release on Apple and I'm sure he contributed a lot to the Badfinger and Mary Hopkins records that he produced. My question is this: What other artists and recordings has be been involved with over the years?

• Replies 7
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Duets and collaborations

* With Tony Bennett

o Duets: An American Classic (2006)

+ Contains "The Very Thought of You", a duet by Tony Bennett and Paul McCartney.

* With George Benson and Al Jarreau

o Givin' It Up (2006)

+ Contains "Bring It On Home to Me" by George Benson, Al Jarreau and Paul McCartney

* With Johnny Cash

o Water from the Wells of Home (1988)

+ Contains "New Moon over Jamaica", a duet by Johnny Cash and Paul McCartney (with harmonies by June Carter Cash, Linda McCartney, and Tom T. Hall).

* With Michael Jackson

o Thriller (1983)

+ Contains "The Girl Is Mine" by Michael Jackson with Paul McCartney.

* With Lulu

o Together (2002)

+ Contains "Inside Thing (Let 'em In)", a duet by Lulu & Paul McCartney.

* With George Michael

o Twentyfive (2006)

+ Contains "Heal the Pain by George Michael and Paul McCartney.

* With Heather Mills

o "Vo!ce" (CD single) (1999)

+ The record is credited to "Heather Mills featuring Paul McCartney." McCartney co-wrote the song with Mills, and he provided the backing vocals and guitar. The CD single contains the following three tracks:

# "Vo!ce" (radio edit)

# "Vo!ce" (Paul McCartney's Mellow Extension)

# "Vo!ce" (Someone U Love mix)

* With Lindsay Pagano

o Love & Faith & Inspiration (2001)

+ Contains a version of the McCartney composed "So Bad", by Lindsay Pagano with accompanying vocals by Paul McCartney.

* With Carl Perkins

o Go Cat Go (1996)

+ Contains "My Old Friend" by Carl Perkins & Paul McCartney.

* With Nitin Sawhney

o London Undersound (2008)

+ Contains "My Soul", a collaboration by Nitin Sawhney and Paul McCartney.

* With Smokin' Mojo Filters (a.k.a. "Paul Weller & Friends")

o The various artists' benefit album, Help (1995)

+ The album, which was released to benefit the Warchild charity, contained "Come Together", which Paul Weller, Paul McCartney,Steve Cradock, Damon Minchella of Ocean Colour Scene and Noel Gallagher released as the "Smokin' Mojo Filters".

* With Brian Wilson

o Gettin' in Over My Head (2004)

+ Contains "A Friend Like You", a duet by Brian Wilson and Paul McCartney. on Gettin' in over My Head (2004)

Push the button Frank.

As producer, composer, or session musician

* Rusty Anderson

o Undressing Underwater (2005)

+ Paul McCartney contributes bass, backing vocals, and additional electric guitar to "Hurt Myself".

* Badfinger

o Magic Christian Music (1969)

+ Contains "Come and Get It", which was written and produced by Paul McCartney. Also, McCartney produced and played piano on "Rock Of All Ages," and produced "Carry On Til Tomorrow."

* The Beach Boys

o Smiley Smile (1967)

+ The song, "Vegetables" features the sound of McCartney eating raw carrots.

* Bonzo Dog Doo Dah Band

o (no album)

+ The song, "I'm the Urban Spaceman" has Paul under the alias of Apollo C. Vermouth.

* Elvis Costello

o Spike (1989)

+ Contains "Veronica" and "Pads, Paws, and Claws", which were co-written by Paul McCartney. McCartney also played the bass on "Veronica" and "...This Town..."

* Donovan

o Barabajagal (1969)

+ Contains the song, "Atlantis" which is widely believed to feature the background vocals of Paul McCartney (and on which, according to Harry Castleman and Walter Podrazik's book, All Together Now, McCartney not only provided the background vocals but also played the tambourine). It should be noted, however, that McCartney is not listed in the album's credits. Furthermore, the various works of Mark Lewisohn (such as The Complete Beatles Chronicals and The Beatles Day by Day) fail to mention McCartney's participation on this song. In fact, according to the album's liner notes, the song was recorded in Los Angeles in November 1968, a month that, according to Lewisohn, McCartney spent mostly at his farm in Scotland.

* Allen Ginsberg

o The Ballad of the Skeletons (1996)

+ Ginsberg recited his poetry to music. Paul McCartney played guitar, drums, hammond organ and maracas on the title track.

* George Harrison

o Somewhere in England (1981)

+ The song, "All Those Years Ago", a tribute to John Lennon, included Paul McCartney on backing vocals and Ringo Starr on drums.

* Laurence Juber

o "Straight Time" (1982)

+ The song "Maisie" is performed by Wings, with Paul McCartney on bass, Juber on guitar, Steve Holley on drums and Denny Laine on harmonica.

* Denny Laine

o Holly Days (1977)

+ Produced by Paul McCartney, who also played most of the backing instruments and sang backing vocals on the album.

o Japanese Tears (1980)

+ Two songs on the album, "Send Me The Heart" and "Weep For Love", were performed by Wings, with Paul McCartney on bass, keyboards, guitar, percussion and vocals, and McCartney also co-wrote "Send Me the Heart."

* Linda McCartney

o Wide Prairie (1998)

+ An album by McCartney's wife, Linda, which was produced and partially composed by Paul McCartney. McCartney also played many of the instruments on the album, and some of the tracks featured Wings, including two that were originally attributed to Suzy and the Red Stripes.

* Mike McGear

o McGear (1974)

+ An album by Paul McCartney's brother Michael, who sang lead vocals with Wings as his backing band. McCartney produced the album, composed or co-composed most of the tracks, sang harmony vocal on "The Man Who Found God on the Moon", and played bass, guitar and keyboards (although uncredited as a musician).

* Steve Miller Band

o Brave New World (1970)

+ Paul McCartney (credited as Paul Ramon) played bass, drums, and provides backing vocals to "My Dark Hour".

* The Scaffold

o Sold Out (1975)

+ Paul McCartney produced and Wings was the backing band on "Liverpool Lou" (with McCartney on bass); McCartney also produced and co-wrote the non-album B-side "Ten Years After on Strawberry Jam", performed by an uncredited Wings, with McCartney on bass and keyboards.

* Carly Simon

o No Secrets (1972)

+ Paul McCartney provided back-up vocals on "Night Owl".

* Super Furry Animals

o Rings Around the World (2001)

+ The song, "Receptacle for the Respectable" featured McCartney eating celery.[43]

* Ringo Starr

o Sentimental Journey (1970)

+ Paul McCartney arranged "Stardust".

o Ringo (1973)

+ Paul McCartney wrote, arranged, played piano and synthesizer, and provided backing vocals on "Six O'Clock" and played kazoo (credited as "mouth sax") on "You're Sixteen".

o Ringo's Rotogravure (1976)

+ Paul McCartney wrote and provided backing vocals to "Pure Gold".

o Stop and Smell the Roses (1981)

+ Paul McCartney wrote, played bass and piano, and lent backing vocals to "Private Property" and "Attention".

o Vertical Man (1998)

+ Paul McCartney played bass, lent backing vocals to "La De Da," "I Was Walking" and "What In The World" and appeared in the music video of "La De Da".

* James Taylor

o James Taylor (1968)

+ Paul McCartney played bass on "Carolina in My Mind".

o Walking Man (1974)

+ Paul & Linda provided backing vocals on "Rock'n'Roll Is Music Now".

Push the button Frank.

... His drumming and vocals on Steve Miller's "In My Dark Hour" (credited to one Paul Ramon)...

Macca's frequent use of Paul Ramon(e) led young Douglas Colvin to christen himself Dee Dee Ramone. His bandmates followed suit.

For those of you who were unaware that Paul McCartney inadvertently named The Ramones.

Push the button Frank.

... His drumming and vocals on Steve Miller's "In My Dark Hour" (credited to one Paul Ramon)...

Macca's frequent use of Paul Ramon(e) led young Douglas Colvin to christen himself Dee Dee Ramone. His bandmates followed suit.

For those of you who were unaware that Paul McCartney inadvertently named The Ramones.

Did they inadvertently end up paying him royalties on the name? Macca's all about the bux...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

Archived