Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Anyone seen Edgar Winter live?

scottasin

• Replies 25
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I saw him in the 90's opening for somebody... Styx and Boston maybe?

Saw him again last year at the Decatur Celebration (Decatur, IL - my biggest customer is HQ'd there).

I'd highly recommend it. Not only is he good, but last time I saw him, he was playing with some top notch musicians - the Rhythm Section stood out in my mind.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

Saw him twice during his brief rock star stint with Edgar Winter Group.

Love his work with White Trash much more however.

Partied with him once when he happened into a club in Baton Rouge we were playing at.

Super nice guy, incredible sax player and all around musician.

Moe

---

He once walked up to me backstage with some coins in his hand and asked me if he had the right change for the drink machine. :o

I had no idea how bad his eyesight was before then. This was of course so long ago, I can hardly do the math. Around late 60s is my best guess.

Always wanted to see him. Roadwork is one of my favorite recordings. However, Live in Japan may be the worst CD ever. I always wondered if he went downhill or if that CD was a fluke. By this thread I guess it was a fluke. He was my first music idol when I was starting to play in garage bands.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

I saw Edgar as recently as two months ago and he was awesome. Previously, I've seen him in the late 70s in Boston and in the 80's in Basel, Switzerland.

Killer shows, all of them!!

Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Anyone heard "Entrance" his debut solo album (pre White Trash)? Haven't heard it for years, but I remember liking it a lot - jazz, blues, gospel - it was like he had one shot, and put it all out there :-)

I used to have that record, I loved it - one of the first jazz fusion records. Edgar plays a mean alto sax, in addition to the piano playing and singing.

Steve, that's interesting about his eyesight. If it was that bad in the sixties, I wonder how bad it is now. Just makes his accomplishments all the more impressive.

I saw him live in Miami in the late 80's, double bill with Leon Russell, I enjoyed the show. I remember I was by myself, it was a small club. I struck up a conversation with this girl sitting next to me, who informed me that she was on acid, especially for the show. I thought that kind of behaviour went out of fashion some time in the seventies. Wild.

I saw his show at the 1972 Pocono Rock Festival at the Pocono International Raceway. Does that count? He was the final and top billed act at the one day rock concert. Totally awesome. I don't know how his band is these days, but I'd love to see him again. Go for it!

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

It's a great show. I saw him live at the Granada Theatre in Dallas a few years ago with the Forever Fabulous Chickenhawks [R.I.P.]. He played synth, sax, percussion and was non-stop action. You got to see him do Frankenstein live. Do not miss Edgar.
"Forget it, Jake. It's Chinatown."

Steve, that's interesting about his eyesight. If it was that bad in the sixties, I wonder how bad it is now. Just makes his accomplishments all the more impressive.

Edgar is a true albino, which is the source of his poor eyesight. I doubt it is a degenerative condition.

He told me that one of the reasons he settled on the Arp 2600 was that he could see the slider positions easier than knobs.

Moe

---

He's playing a free show near me this Saturday, and I'll probably end up going regardless, but just wondering how good of a show he puts on.

I did monitors for him several years ago. You keyboard buffs might be interested to know that he still (at that time anyway) carried a vintage Voyetra synth. (I think they said that they had 3 of them..) The show was great, the guys were fun.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Anyone heard "Entrance" his debut solo album (pre White Trash)? Haven't heard it for years, but I remember liking it a lot - jazz, blues, gospel - it was like he had one shot, and put it all out there :-)

Threads like this is why I live the Zune service. Never heard of "Entrance" before but downloading it now. Too bad they don't have the first White Trash release.

This post edited for speling.

My Sweetwater Gear Exchange Page

...I saw Winter in '73 and really didn't give him his due; I was in to English KB stars at the time and a Texan who sang and played sax just wasn't what I wanted to hear.

I did see him last year w/Ringo Starr and was very, very impressed.

Go see him; you'll enjoy the show...

"I saw his show at the 1972 Pocono Rock Festival at the Pocono International Raceway. Does that count? He was the final and top billed act at the one day rock concert. Totally awesome. I don't know how his band is these days, but I'd love to see him again. Go for it!"

Mike T. I was at that show too. Unreal. I seem to remember him climbing on top of the piano during a sax solo and just tearin it up!

Also, Entrance was one of my favorite albums back then. Jazzy, Gospel feel all over it and amazing vocals.

On side one all the songs seque into each other. The first time I listened I was shhhh(stoned) and thought that it was the longest, coolest song ever..lol

Just recently I downloaded it for my ipod. it's what, over 30 years later, I'm totally sober and diggin it so much, all over again. Rock on Edgar!

ewall.biz

Archived