Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Gigspam - She Hates Me

Tom Capasso

The short version - I'm playing with She Hates Me ( www.shehatesme.net ) on Sep. 12 at two gigs. They are in NJ just outside of Philadelphia. Erik? anybody?

I grew up with Kevin and played in bands with him for more than 10 of our "formative" years. He had some of the trademark guitarist flaws (I was no picnic either). He plays well, writes well, and we had a lot of fun together. He is the musician that I most "connected" with. He'd finish a section of a solo and change it up, I'd know to change up as well, and we so often were on the same wavelength it was scary. I quit our last band when they started talking about overnight audition gigs in NYC - I was the first one of us who married and had a job.

Kevin did comedy for a while (he's sarcastic and clever, and I laughed my ass off when I saw him on a trip to a Long Island comedy club for a "band reunion" in 2002), but has been in the above-mentioned duo for a few years. I don't see him since he lives near Phila.

Recently some high school friends got together and thought we should make a pilrimage to see Kevin. Just then I had a business trip to Phila. and had dinner with Kev and his wife (who is not the singer in the duo). I said "I'm going to come down and see you, and I'm going to bring my bass and play 3 songs." I figured I couldn't cause too much trouble sitting in for a few tunes) He asked "why only 3?" We went back to his place and started going over music and had a blast playing together again.

Things didn't align until now, and a few of our friends are coming to see us play together again. I'm working on the music, and much of it is unfamiliar. Most I have heard but never played (what's with the chord changes in Killer Queen??). So I'm struggling a bit since I don't have a lot of time to spend, but it should be great. It's an eclectic mix of songs, and I've learned about songs/artists that are cool (Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go" is a trip - the Dapper Dans should do it!).

...and I need to make a sign for myself that says "She Hates Me Too"

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

• Replies 18
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sounds like heaps of fun, Tom :thu:

It's an eclectic mix of songs, and I've learned about songs/artists that are cool (Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go" is a trip - the Dapper Dans should do it!).

Out of curiosity, do you mean these cool cats or my band ? In the latter case, I would be deeply humbled that you think of us !

Oh, it's instances like these that really cry out for a recording device like a ZOOM H2/H4 or similar. You wouldn't regret it later :thu:

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

Tom Killer Queen is one of the best songs to play once you get the rhythm down. It took me quite a while. But it is so much fun...

She keeps moet et chandon

In her pretty cabinet

let them eat cake she says

Just like marie antoinette

A built-in remedy

For kruschev and kennedy

At anytime an invitation

You cant decline

So good...

www.myspace.com/davidbassportugal

"And then the magical unicorn will come prancing down the rainbow and we'll all join hands for a rousing chorus of Kumbaya." - by davio

EPB - I can't see the links cause they are blocked at work.

I meant your band.

As to recording, I was thinking about that but I have no facilities. Maybe my friend's wife can do some video - I'll see what happens.

I knew the song Killer Queen and was aware that he was doing lots of interesting "circle of fourths" things, but when I sat down to play it I was surprised. There are a few things kicking my butt for this gig, including the bass part in the middle of "God Only Knows" and a song called Sympathetique (I think that's what it is).

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Good news. When my friend was starting to learn the drums (since dropped) we were able to connect like that. Then again we always could on a non-music level as well.

Boring story:

One day day I got a call from him, all he said to me "What was that guy's name? You know, the one that was always wearing a suit.", and I was able to answer immediately.

The answer he was looking for Daniel J. Travanti, why I don't know, and Hill Street Blues was already off the air for about a decade.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Both these events are outside. The first show (at noon) was cancelled due to rain. :( The event was organized, so I knew far enough in advance to avoid driving the three hours to sit around. :) They are looking at next Saturday at noon, but I have a Stonefly gig next Friday. Getting home at 3-3:30 and hitting the road at 8 is not appealing. :eek:

I don't know if the evening thing is organized, so I may have to drive to find out it is cancelled. Will advise. If it is, I'll get on She Hates Me's schedule again.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

The evening gig happened. I loved it.

I know my friend Kevin struggled to enjoy it, because he was focused on making sure everything was working. There were a number of "Kevin & Tom" moments, where we either did things together, or one of his did something to impress the other.

I had studied about 60 songs for this, and roughly 25% of what they called was beyond those songs. Shannon was very accommodating, and I got to pick every 4th song (more or less). Yes - lots of bad bass notes, some bad singing, but most of it went very well. Kevin did a great job of calling chords, rhythms, breaks, etc., which made lots of things work well. I was once again impressed by my friend's mastery on guitar as well as Shannon's ability of a vocalist and front-person. She has great style, and people who stopped by compared her to influences ranging from Nora Jones to Eartha Kitt. She was fun to sing with, because her notes were precise (meaning any issues were mine...).

Two moments stood out. They do "He's A Tramp" (from Lady And The Tramp), and Kevin barks in between the vocal lines. That's pretty funny, but Kevin's wife Samantha had come by with their dog Sputnik. Whenever Kevin barked, Sputnik barked back - quite a crowd-pleaser. The other was the Rascals song "How Can I Be Sure" - I had worked out a jazzy walk (at the "how do I know, maybe you're trying to use me", and Kevin had trouble keeping a straight face - it fit the style, but was unexpected (and a lot of fun).

We had 30+ people who came and hung out for the 2+ hours we played. The art store who had us said they loved it and had great comments from their customers (lots of people were coming and going). There were lots of groups of people that came because they have seen She Hates Me before, and Kev and I had friends from way back come as well (one couple drove 1.5 hours, two friends drove about 4 hours). These friends had seen Kevin and me play years back, and were happy to see us together again - we went to a diner afterward and had a lot of laughs.

And I had made a small sign - the biggest part said "She Hates Me", then I had the web address. At the bottom, I put "(...and she hates the bass player, too )" - it was pretty cool.

If you are on facebook, look for She Hates Me for some pictures. And I've got a few - the three of us / Kevin and me / Kevin's wife and dog / and a quick video (taken with my old digital point-and-shoot). Shannon hadn't sung Telephone Line in a long time, and she struggled a bit in the beginning - it was a favor to me that we did the song. click on the videoframe at the bottom.

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/She%20Hates%20Me%202009-09-12/IMG_1182.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/She%20Hates%20Me%202009-09-12/IMG_1187.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/She%20Hates%20Me%202009-09-12/IMG_1194.jpg

http://i161.photobucket.com/albums/t217/tom_capasso/She%20Hates%20Me%202009-09-12/th_MVI_1192.jpg

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Sounds like you had a blast, Tom ! The pics are way cool and I'm sure you'll be glad to have a reminder of this special occasion :) Good to hear some old friends turned up especially for the occasion too :thu:

I checked the band's website and they are both very talented ! Really like their sound and I wish I could have been around to see the show. How did you find playing without a drummer, by the way ?

Sounds like heaps of fun, Tom :thu:

It's an eclectic mix of songs, and I've learned about songs/artists that are cool (Roy Hamilton's "Don't Let Go" is a trip - the Dapper Dans should do it!).

Out of curiosity, do you mean these cool cats or my band ? In the latter case, I would be deeply humbled that you think of us !

Oh, it's instances like these that really cry out for a recording device like a ZOOM H2/H4 or similar. You wouldn't regret it later :thu:

I auditioned with the Dapper Dans of Harmony several years ago - I was 'in' but had to decline due to the number of rehearsals they do. These people are obsessive, but really really nice guys.

Play. Just play.

I auditioned with the Dapper Dans of Harmony several years ago - I was 'in' but had to decline due to the number of rehearsals they do. These people are obsessive, but really really nice guys.

If that's true (about the rehearsals) then that's another thing that sets them apart from the Belgian Dapper Dans ... :grin:

Archived