Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

The Ross Brown Blues Band set list

Ross Brown

We head to the studio this weekend to record material for our demo. As I look over our set list so far I wonder if we will have a good mix of songs. I think so, but time will tell. I like to make sure we have enough to keep a crowd's interest and get them up dancing if they are so inclined.

I know I have asked for suggestions before and I still have that list. In context of what we have so far, tell me what you think. What "must" we add? (There are probably a ton of songs that all of us in the band know but just have not played together yet).

We still have time to add more songs (and we will need them to fill a whole night). I am slated to do Hoochie Coochie Man (Muddy Waters) and You Shook Me (Willie Dixon style) and we have a bunch of others in the works.

Feel free to comment. I appreciate any more feedback you have, even if you think the set list is a drag. Let me know.

Current Set List

1. Pride & Joy (B Raitt)

2. Some Kind Of Wonderful (Joss Stone)

3. All Your Love (SRV)

4. Lie To Me (J Lang)

5. Black Cat Bone (A Collins)

6. Love Disease (Foley)

7. Bad Case Of Love (Castro)

8. I Get Evil (A.Collins/P. Benetar)

9. Dont Lose Your Cool (A. Collins)

10. Crossroads

11. Its 2 Am (Copeland)

12. River Of Love (Benetar)

13. Love Me Like A Man

14. Mustang Sally

15. Black Magic Woman

16. Born Under A Bad Sign

17. I Want A Love (J. Magness)

18. Fool Me Again (J. Magness)

19. If Love Is Blind (T. Principato)

20. My Mind Is Trying To Leave Me

21. Leftovers (K. Taylor)

22. Sky Is Crying

23. Chain of Fools (Cocker)

24. Livin On Lies (Debbie Davies)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 45
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The following are slated for recording (we will pick 6 of these)

2am

Chain of Fools

If Love is Blind

Love Disease

Black Cat Bone

I Want a Love

Fool Me Again

and maybe Born Under a Bad sign (we have a cool and different arrangment)

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Nice list. That looks like enough music for three sets.

Yea, It may be. We will do throughs for timing, etc. Still need to add more in case we get busy....

I don't know what you "have" to add - it's a nice list, with some variety. FWIW, we added "Outside Woman Blues" recently and have enjoyed it.

It's always good to have more songs, though it can be "fun" setting up a set list and deciding what to use and what to hold.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

The old farts band I make bass noises with mostly does classic rock covers, but recently we've been working up Hendrix's 'Red House'. Because we have two gits, and I play a bass, not a semi-accoustic or whatever was used in the 'single' version, we have to play it as it comes to us. It's working out ok as a slow blues.

Epi EB-3

G-K Backline 600

2 x Eden EX112

That looks like a good list Ross and I agree that it doesn't hurt to have extra songs in case you need them.

I have a Jimmy Rogers Allstars CD that I like a bunch and it has several classic blues tunes on it. Some of them are:

Sweet Home Chicago

Blow Wind Blow

Every Day I Have The Blues

Trouble No More

Goin' Away Baby

I just bought an extra copy of this on Amazon for about $8.50 including shipping.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

Looks like a good list. We do Hoochie Coochie Man in our band. One of our guitar players does a great harmonica solo.

We've toyed around with 'Sweet Home Chicago' and 'Sunshine of Your Love'. We're still deciding if we want to add them or not.

We've added 'Memphis' to our set and we really like it. It's not real complicated but has a great groove and the crowd dances along.

I can't remember if you have lady singers, but one of our ladies sing 'Bobby McGee', 'Give Me One Reason' and 'Something to Talk About'. which works well for us. The women in the crowds really like them.

We've also done the "Pretty Woman" Black and White version, which may not be particlularly bluesy but the instrumental jam in the middle gives each of our 3 guitar players an opportunity to stretch out a bit.

Looks like you guys are off to a good start, Ross.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Funny, "Sweet Home Chicago" is on our to-do list as well :) The guitarist asked if the drummer and I felt like taking solo's on it, too :freak:

I think any (early) ZZ Top fits in with most of these types of bands :thu: Oh and definitely do "Hoochie Coochie Man" !!

"I'm a work in progress." Micky Barnes

The Ross Brown Shirt World Tour

I can't remember if you have lady singers, but one of our ladies sing 'Bobby McGee', 'Give Me One Reason' and 'Something to Talk About'. which works well for us. The women in the crowds really like them.

Yes, one lady. Three singers so far. Female (Mrs. Brown), guitar player and me. When we were cutting demo this weekend the keyboard player added some harmonies to the background vocals... who knew??? He will like sings a couple too.

When we were cutting demo this weekend the keyboard player added some harmonies to the background vocals... who knew??? He will like sings a couple too.

Well if you don't ask ... :grin: And perhaps he was a bit shy ? I'm thinking of doing backing vox for my band too, but I can't sing a correct note anymore if my life depended on it ...

When can we hear the recordings ?

I will post them on our web site once we are finished tweeking them. Probably get the mix back again on Friday.

On a side note, speaking of singing, I sang Hoochie Coochie Man in rehersal last night. It made the set list.... cool. We are trying to come up with an arrangement that won't bore the crap out of folks... I think we will find one...

I can't remember if you have lady singers, but one of ourladies sing 'Bobby McGee', 'Give Me One Reason' and 'Something to Talk About'. which works well for us. The women in the crowds really like them.

We do 'Give Me One Reason' in our "pop/rock/acoustic" cover band with a male singer and it works great. One of our better tunes I think.

I sang Hoochie Coochie Man in rehersal last night. It made the set list.... cool.

Hey, how cool is that ? I only know the version of John Lord & The Hoochie Coochie Men though, not sure if it is much different to the "original" or your version.

We are trying to come up with an arrangement that won't bore the crap out of folks...

I wish more bands would consider doing that ... Not very "artistic" of you, though, to care about the audience like that ;)

Does the band have a name yet? Or did I miss that part ?

Removing "blues" from the name will help get gigs.

Jugs are at every gig....

Depends on the circuit. I know you'd get a lot of gigs in the blues circuit here as soon as you add "blues" to the name :) Even if you don't actually play blues ... We on the other hand were refused from playing "Meensel Blues" (a festival where I volunteered several years in a row) despite playing songs such as "Folsom Prison Blues" and "Cocaine Blues" :grin:

I need more gigs like yours, though. Our audience is predominantly male. And still we have jugs at every gig :freak:

When we were cutting demo this weekend the keyboard player added some harmonies to the background vocals... who knew??? He will like sings a couple too.

Well if you don't ask ... :grin: And perhaps he was a bit shy ? I'm thinking of doing backing vox for my band too, but I can't sing a correct note anymore if my life depended on it ...

When can we hear the recordings ?

Recordings

Vocals are a bit rough, blah, blah blah... we recorded 8 songs in 6 hours. Mixed over then follwoing week. Got our first gig scheduled already... seems to be quite a motivator to have a gig on the books.... everyone is working hard.

I think you guys sound pretty good--the engineer did a nice job of capturing the band. The recording sounds a little... clean... to me, but that's just a personal preference. I just like hearing a bit more dirt in a blues recording.

I have a few quibbles with the wording on the site, though... why call them "demos?" Just call them "songs" or "recordings." The word "demo" sounds like, "We don't know if this is any good--we're just testing things out here." Basically it just makes you sound like you're not really sure about what you're doing. So, please, for me... call them "songs" or "recordings."

Confidence is key--you wanna come off like a pro band so the venues have absolutely no concern about booking you because it's obvious, even from the text on your site, that you know exactly what you're doing.

So... words like "hopefully" and phrases like, "we have more" shouldn't be present. Confidence, bro. Put it out there.

Just my opinion, though. I think the band sounds good.

\m/

Erik

"To fight and conquer in all your battles is not supreme excellence; supreme excellence consists of breaking the enemy's resistance without fighting."

--Sun Tzu

great advice. Thank you Sir. Done!!

We have some grit... especially when I sing. I agree that would be nice to have on site but there are a bunch of folks doing gritty, loose, blues around here. Want to be slightly polished, then go from there... at least that is the plan...

Archived