Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

What DAW program should I get?

heehee62

Cubase cannot save directly as a PDF, but there are several free applications that do it. I use PrimoPDF. Basically, you just print the page(s) and choose "PrimoPDF" as the destination, instead of a printer. It then pops up a window and you save the file wherever you want. Pretty easy.

• Replies 36
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Cubase cannot save directly as a PDF, but there are several free applications that do it. I use PrimoPDF. Basically, you just print the page(s) and choose "PrimoPDF" as the destination, instead of a printer. It then pops up a window and you save the file wherever you want. Pretty easy.

+1 Another good one is CutePDF. The basic version is free to use.

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

I personally think you still should look into upgrading from Cubase AI|4 to Cubase 5 or maybe Cubase Studio 5 (if it has full scoring functionality). This would prevent another learning curve as you are already (albeit somewhat frustratedly) learning how to use it in conjunction with your Yamaha. I have found more support for Cubase at motifator.com than I have at Steinberg's website. With C5 you will have full integration with your Motif.

The question remains ... will the scoring abilities of the full version of Cubase 5 give you the tools you need to do what you want. If not, you'd be better off looking elsewhere. I haven't played around with scoring in C5 yet myself, but I just upgraded a couple of months ago and haven't gotten around to scoring anything yet so I'm not much help there. Call them and ask.

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

"I have found more support for Cubase at motifator.com than I have at Steinberg's website. "

Interesting. I've never found the Steinberg site to be helpful at all. My first visits there were in the DOS days. I haven't been there for years, and I just assumed that, given their larger presence in the US marketplace, they would have done something to improve that perception.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Although I agree it is best to stick to one DAW once you know it well, I'd like to announce that a surprise ad appeared yesterday that already created a five-page thread on the MOTU forum, which I've barely had a chance to start reading, but which highlights one key new feature in Digital Performer 7:

Chords and lyrics in line with notation!

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Thanks everyone. I think I'll take your guys advice and first try sticking with my cubase ai4 program and testing out some notation programs that I can supplement with(I don't really like ai4 but it is free afterall).

Kind of disappointing there isn't a simple, all-in-one program. I definitely can't handle a more complicated program so will have to have 2 instead. I'm still learning my motif really and its been more than a year now.

The problem is, while the features you're asking for may sound simple, they're not.

Anyway, with a good DAW, you can forget the composition side of the Motif. The DAW's MIDI editing should be far better -- assuming it's a half-decent one.

The MOTIF is not easy to learn. I was green on all fronts so it took me longer than most (I had no MIDI experience at the time, other than using MIDI cables to connect modules, using standalone hardware sequencers, creating MIDI files, etc. -- but what I mean is I didn't have experience with the more complicated use of MIDI in a ROMpler workstation environment, where I would say one of the more difficult things I dealt with was consistently and reliably inserting the PLG100-VH board into a combined live/sequenced Song Setup and successfully vocoding alongside backing tracks).

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived