Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Markyboard Seeking Equipment Advice? Seriously?

Markyboard

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Anyway if Levin's carry's the Zoom I'll be up there this Saturday. Care to join me?

Bummer. I would love to, but it's my son's 11th birthday on Saturday, and I don't think I could (or should) disappear for a Levin's run that day. Rain check?

Noah

I've had a Zoom H4 for a couple of years and recorded live gigs, solo acoustic guitar and vocal, lectures, and used it for a scratch pad. I think it would serve you/him well. The XLR inputs would allow him to use the SM81's if he wants to. You will absolutely be amazed at how good the built-in mics sound. I bought a rather large SM card for storage and have yet to fill it up. And yes it has a 1/8" headphone jack on the side. The H4 model as far as I know cannot play one file right after the other or chaining/stringing by itself - unless there is a feature in it that I'm not aware of (you can of course you offload it to a folder on the PC and then do any/all of that). The newer H4n model may allow for cuelist type play. I've actually considered selling my H4 and putting the money towards a H4n but I've heard mixed tales about the built-in mics in the H4n are different than the H4 mics. Some say they are better, some say worse. I'm so happy with the results I'm getting that I almost don't want to take a chance. Given that he's planning on using the SM81's this is probably a moot point. I would look closer into the "stringing/chaining" song files together issue if that is a deal breaker for your Dad. Good luck and let us know which way you go. I also applaud you helping your Dad. I know what a PITA my Dad can be when he has PC issues. You are a good son!

Hardware:
Yamaha
: MODX7 | Korg: Kronos 88, Wavestate | ASM: Hydrasynth Deluxe | Roland: Jupiter-Xm, Cloud Pro, TD-9K V-Drums | Alesis: StrikePad Pro|
Behringer: Crave, Poly D, XR-18, RX1602 | CPS: SpaceStation SSv2 | 
Controllers: ROLI RISE 49 | Arturia KeyLab Essentials 88, KeyLab 61, MiniLab | M-Audio KeyStation 88 & 49 | Akai EWI USB |
Novation LaunchPad Mini, |
Guitars & Such: Line 6 Variax, Helix LT, POD X3 Live, Martin Acoustic, DG Strat Copy, LP Sunburst Copy, Natural Tele Copy|
Squier Precision 5-String Bass | Mandolin | Banjo | Ukulele

Software:
Recording
: MacBook Pro | Mac Mini | Logic Pro X | Mainstage | Cubase Pro 12 | Ableton Live 11 | Monitors: M-Audio BX8 | Presonus Eris 3.5BT Monitors | Slate Digital VSX Headphones & ML-1 Mic | Behringer XR-18 & RX1602 Mixers | Beyerdynamics DT-770 & DT-240
Arturia: V-Collection 9 | Native Instruments: Komplete 1 Standard | Spectrasonics: Omnisphere 2, Keyscape, Trilian | Korg: Legacy Collection 4 | Roland: Cloud Pro | GForce: Most all of their plugins | u-he: Diva, Hive 2, Repro, Zebra Legacy | AAS: Most of their VSTs |
IK Multimedia: SampleTank 4 Max, Sonik Synth, MODO Drums & Bass | Cherry Audio: Most of their VSTs |

I've had a Zoom H4 for a couple of years and recorded live gigs, solo acoustic guitar and vocal, lectures, and used it for a scratch pad. I think it would serve you/him well. The XLR inputs would allow him to use the SM81's if he wants to. You will absolutely be amazed at how good the built-in mics sound. I bought a rather large SM card for storage and have yet to fill it up. And yes it has a 1/8" headphone jack on the side. The H4 model as far as I know cannot play one file right after the other or chaining/stringing by itself - unless there is a feature in it that I'm not aware of (you can of course you offload it to a folder on the PC and then do any/all of that). The newer H4n model may allow for cuelist type play. I've actually considered selling my H4 and putting the money towards a H4n but I've heard mixed tales about the built-in mics in the H4n are different than the H4 mics. Some say they are better, some say worse. I'm so happy with the results I'm getting that I almost don't want to take a chance. Given that he's planning on using the SM81's this is probably a moot point. I would look closer into the "stringing/chaining" song files together issue if that is a deal breaker for your Dad. Good luck and let us know which way you go. I also applaud you helping your Dad. I know what a PITA my Dad can be when he has PC issues. You are a good son!

Great info - thanks for that. Reading the manual on line it looks like another way (and maybe simpler)for stringing parts would be to use multi-track mode; record the first part on track 1, stop playing (silence) but let it record for the entire duration of the piece. Then he could use the other tracks to add in subsequent parts at the right time. Not sure how much button pressing is involved but I'll definitely check this out when I get my hands on one.

Archived