Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

the music market by genre

Johan Larson

The book "This Business of Music" has an interesting discussion about how the commercial music market is divided by genre. Here's an excerpt from one of the tables, giving the 2004 breakdown:

Rock -- 23.9%

Rap/Hip-Hop -- 12.1%

R&B/Urban -- 11.3%

Country -- 13.0%

Pop -- 10.0%

Religious -- 6.0%

Classical -- 2.0%

Jazz -- 2.7%

Soundtracks -- 1.1%

Oldies -- 1.4%

New Age -- 1.0%

Children's -- 2.8%

Other -- 8.9%

I had expected rock to be bigger, accounting for perhaps half the market. Granted, some of what gets categorized as R&B or Pop is stuff I would consider rock, but that market is still smaller than I expected. The book mentions that the high-water-mark for rock was 41.7%, but doesn't say what year that was.

• Replies 10
  • Created
  • Last Reply

That is all well and good as a generalization, but in practical terms Rap and Urban are one category (played on the same stations)making that number 23.4%. Rock, pop, oldies, all blur together (at times with Urban and Rap) depending upon the station and the area of the country.

In short, I don't understand what purpose these numbers hold. Advertisers are approached by Clearchannel or the other one with very specific demographics as to who listens to each of their particular stations in each market and when they listen. This is useful information when it comes to finding a target audience, not only for advertisers but for anyone promoting a particular kind of act.

In my area there are no 'soundtrack' 'children's' or 'other' based radio stations.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

For, say, 2009, the rap, hip-hop, and pop would most likely increase by about 10-15%, maybe more. But like Bill, I don't really see any of those radio stations, but when I go to Barnes n' Noble (where I shop for music) I see everything but Childrens. Children based music (ie. sing alongs) is really only found at Amazon or another worldwide major retailer.

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

I'd be interested to know what The "Other" category consists of. 8.9% is almost as much as Pop. Are there that many people out there who wanna hear Venezuelan Goat Yodeling, or Obscene Army Marching Cadences, or whatever?

Always remember that you�re unique. Just like everyone else.

I seek the value of the numbers. We accumulate statistics for a reason, for a purpose, to enable us to make useful, cognizant decisions. Those appear to me to be spurious statistics. At least, out of context.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

According to the book, these figures come from the RIAA 2004 Consumer Profile. I guess that means this is how the record industry finds it useful to slice and dice the music market. Perhaps broadcasters have a slightly different set of categories for their own purposes.

The authors of "This Business of Music" present these figures with many others in chapter 1, "The Music Industry in the Twenty-First Century," which is a broad overview.

As an indie rock fan, this amused me greatly (it's also an accurate depiction of the audience and their attitudes these days, for the most part):

HOW TO PICK YOUR FAVORITE NEW INDIE ROCK BAND

http://10.media.tumblr.com/tumblr_koffyvGZMS1qzpwi0o1_500.jpg

Archived