Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Multi-fx units for rack system. Better than a G-Major?

castigo1986

Hy all!

I'd like your opinion on something. What is the best overall multi-fx unit on the market today? I know that we are talking about a lot of products, so allow me to be more specific.

I use an ENGL special edition preamp in a Marshall 9100 through a TC Electronics G-major (the black one, not the new white one). I also use a Voodoo Lab Ground Control for MIDI patch recall on the G-major and the ENGL and CC commands to turn the single effect blocks on and off. It all drives a Marshall 4x12 1960 and an ENGL 2x10 VH Pro. Quite simple really.

I cannot say I am displeased with the sound quality of the effected signal, but I have two concerns regarding the G-major:

1) Tough slightly, it seems to suck out my signals clarity and definition (I already implemented patch cables with gold connectors by Cordial, so it shouldnt be a transmission problem). Probably its kind of inevitable and after all I heard much, much worse

2) Its palette of effects seems to be sort of limited, especially in the Delay, Filter and Modulation area. I am pleased with the Reverb, which sound more conservative of my sound after some tweaking, the Compressor for clean sounds excellent. The Pitch is good as an Octaver, but terrible as a Whammy, but I guess if you want a real Whammy, you should go out and buy it! ;)

If Id like to get a better multi-fx that wouldnt give these problems, what should I get? Lets pretend I have no spending limits, but the unit must have MIDI compatibility and be rack-mountable. Also, I don't like using floor effects-pedals (though there are excellent effect-switching systems out there). I know the G-force is a superior machine, and Id also like to ear someones opinion about it.

THANKS!!!

Luca

• 2 months later...

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I have years of experience with both G-Majors and G-Forces. Check out this in-depth comparative review of the two units before you consider THAT gear change:

http://www.musicplayers.com/reviews/guitars/2007/0307_TCElectronic_G.php

If you want to step up, go with the G-System, which will enable you to get rid of the Ground Control Pro (which I like, and have used with the G-Major).

ENGL makes kick-ass gear -- I endorse them professionally. Your problem with tone might just be with how things are configured in your rig.

If your SE preamp has a PARALLEL FX loop, then you need to activate the Kill Dry feature in your G-Major so that it isn't passing any dry signal. That will muddy up your tone as you have a dry signal passing alongside your FX loop (in parallel) PLUS some dry signal passing through the G-Major's AD/DA converters and coming back into the mix.

If your SE preamp has a SERIES FX loop, then you do NOT want to enable the Kill Dry feature, and should have dry signal passing through the unit.

You should have great, clean tone with the G-Major. But the new G-Major II will improve things further because it has MUCH newer AD/DA converters (similar to those in the G-System). Forget the G-Force... it's past its prime.

Scott

http://www.myspace.com/daysbeforetomorrow

MusicPlayers.com The FREE online mag for serious musicians

http://www.musicplayers.com

MusicianFinder.com GET YOUR JAM ON

http://www.musicianfinder.com

If your SE preamp has a PARALLEL FX loop, then you need to activate the Kill Dry feature in your G-Major so that it isn't passing any dry signal. That will muddy up your tone as you have a dry signal passing alongside your FX loop (in parallel) PLUS some dry signal passing through the G-Major's AD/DA converters and coming back into the mix.

If your SE preamp has a SERIES FX loop, then you do NOT want to enable the Kill Dry feature, and should have dry signal passing through the unit.

thumbs_up.gif

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

First, let me say that it all starts with the guitar. But the pedal and amp chain can make what guitar is in use to be immaterial. (Which is why all the hair bands of the 80s sounded the same no matter what guitar was in use, and why all the 2000+ bands for the most part all sound the same today. Crappy guitars sound just like any other guitar in front of a crappy rig.)

In my opinion, and after years of being in a position to listen to just about every effects combination out there between my studio work and live work in the theaters and arenas, I came to the conclusion that effects suck. They suck the life out of the tone, and they mostly sound like crap.

I had my first custom built multi-effects processor built for me in the early 1970s, because I was so dismayed at the quality of existing effects.

In the digital world, I've yet to find an acceptable boost or distortion, though many other effects can sound okay and usually much better than their analog floor pedal counterparts.

But I had been running digital multieffects pedals for so long...

Then a bunch of guys here started talking about boutique amps, and I wanted to see what they were talking about, and when I tried one, my head turned around. Then I plugged in my effects, and the tone was back to sucking. So I got all new boutique pedals, and the tone was back. My classic guitar collection now sounds fantastic... better than it did when I was playing it though a collection of classic amps.

I think that the key to all of this is to keep the signal path short and keep the parts all high quality.

Granted, this takes MIDI out of the equation unless you are willing to spring for a seriously big dollar custom switching unit. I've seen them on arena stages, so I know that they exist.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived