Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Samplers, which one?

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Trick, > I was thinking of getting an older sampler and was wondering which models were worth picking up. I've never used a sampler before and basically want one for access to more sounds and for making loops. < Since nobody else jumped in I'll mention that the cheapest way to get into sampling is with the SoundBlaster Live sound card. Or better still, the newer Audigy model. For about $40 and up (depends on model) you get a real sampler that's probably better than any of the "older" stand-alone models costing much more. There are several articles on my web site about using these sound cards for their sampler capability. Go to: [url=http://www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html]www.ethanwiner.com/articles.html[/url] Then look for "Striving for new lows," "Vienna SoundFont studio," and my latest Audigy review. --Ethan

[quote][b]I'm a Mac user so the soundblaster thing is out. I also would want to be able to use it live so I'm definitely looking for a hardware piece.[/b][/quote] Yo, Trick, Get the Korg Electribe•S. $475US. Excellent sampler, really easy to use; then sequence those samples into groove loops, add effects, build songs, all in the same box. Smaller than a laptop computer, mos def road-worthy. Great for hip hop, R&B, electro, dance, or NIN-style rock. I've even gotten mine to do a reputable imitation of swing. She's a real tart, that piece. E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

[quote][b]Thanks Curve I'll look into that. Hey have you been to Luxxe in Brooklyn yet? I've heard a couple of your tunes and I think you'd dig the music there.[/b][/quote] Trick, No, I haven't been to Luxxe. Where is it? I'll check it out, thanks for the tip. The last time I hung out in Brooklyn was at Last Exit, on Atlantic Avenue, off Clinton Street, I think. Cool spot, cool music. Groovin'. E :)

Eric Vincent (ASCAP)

www.curvedominant.com

Curve Luxxe is over in Williamsburg. Saturday nights this guy Larry Tee dj's and he plays some cool shit. I never heard half the tunes, but he was playing some cool electro pop with some club classics and even the Sex Pistols thrown in. I love going somewhere and hearing a bunch of songs I've never heard before and they're actually good. t.fall

Archived