Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

String problems

biguglyman

I have a Carvin LB75 bass I bought new about 15 years ago. It's a great bass and has served me well. I've been using Carvin strings on it since I bought it because I like the feel and sound and you can get them relatively cheap. Over the years they've changed their string design (taper wound ends, etc.) and I've adjusted my bridge accordingly with no problems. Lately (the last few months) I've had a terrible problem with the B-string on the new sets from Carvin. Every time I try to put tension on a new B-string, the core snaps at the post on the machine. I called them to gripe and they sent me new ones that do the same thing. I've been playing bass for over 35 years and have never had this happen before. I like these Carvin strings because they are taper wound at the bridge end of the B and I think it makes for a tighter B-string sound. Now I don't know what to do. I hesitate to buy more Carvin strings but I don't know where to find a set that's identical from another manufacturer. The sets I like are the Carvin #5011 medium light gauge nickel plated round rounds. The string sizes are:040-060-080-100-128. Any helpful ideas would be appreciated.

"There's not enough bass in the mix unless the first three rows are having involuntary bowel movements."

http://www.myspace.com/biguglyman_bass

• Replies 28
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I thought the resold LaBella's under their name, I'm most likely wrong though. I doubt they are making their own strings.

Time to start searching for a new brand. The gauge is standard, taper wounds are abundant, and materials are easy to match. I doubt you'll have to try more than 2 sets to get something you like.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

The string sizes are:040-060-080-100-128.

That's a helluva jump in gauge and tension between E and B strings. It's basically a light tension 4 set and a heavy 5th string.

It's not taper-wound but you might like them for even tension and tone across the strings, great sound, feel and long life: DR Sunbeams.

I was also under the impression that they re-branded LaBella's, but after the problems I've had I hesitate to try them. DR's are kind of expensive but probably worth a try. I might even try a set of good old Rotosounds. They worked great on my old G&L. Maybe I'll go to someplace like JustStrings.com and buy several different sets and try them one at a time. The Carvin's were great though at $15 a set and about $8 to ship as many sets as you wanted.

"There's not enough bass in the mix unless the first three rows are having involuntary bowel movements."

The problem isn't at the bridge. They keep breaking where they start to wind around the tuning post. It's like they overcooked the core wire or something and they're very brittle. They snap before I even get close to putting full tension on them. That being said, my original Carvin bridge is getting a little beat looking. The newer ones can be strung through the body too, right? Maybe take it to the guitar shop and drill holes through the body and mount one of those new bridges. Getting the accountant (wife) to go for that might be tricky though.

The string sizes are:040-060-080-100-128.

That's a helluva jump in gauge and tension between E and B strings. It's basically a light tension 4 set and a heavy 5th string.

But I bet the tension figures are more even across strings with that heavier B.

I use 45-60-80-105-130...and 135 would probably be even closer on tension!

Peace.

--s-uu

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

Don't mess with the bridge for now, biguglyman.

Maybe I'll go to someplace like JustStrings.com and buy several different sets and try them one at a time.

This is a good idea, I think. Try to get the same material (stainless or nickel wound) as the Carvin, similar gauges, and hex or round core (if possible). Maybe Carvin will spill the info on the core detail to you.

Also, you could temporarily just buy a couple of different B strings as singles to see how you like the sound and how they hold up. That might save you some cash instead of buying multiple full sets.

Peace.

--Dub $$

spreadluv

Fanboy? Why, yes! Nordstrand Pickups and Guitars.

Messiaen knew how to parlay the funk.

This is the bridge that I bought to replace the Wilkinson bridge that was on there before: (Yes, you can use it to run the strings through the body, but I don't do that)

http://www.carvinguitars.com/images/products/ha6b.jpg

link to Carvin page.

I kept cutting my hand on the Wilkinson bridge. I gave it away when I got the new bridge.

I had a lot of trouble with B strings breaking at the tuning peg with another brand and haven't had any problems since I switched to DR.

I have 2 sets of La Bella Super Steps @ 45,65,85,105,128. I believe they are the same type of string as the Carvin, just more expensive. One is brand new and the other is broken in (1 1/2 yrs). If you wanna give them a try you can have the new set at 1/2 off Just Strings price, plus ship and I'll throw in the other set for free.

They have both been cut to fit a 34" scale. The new set was cut w/3 on top, 2 on bottom, and the old set w/5 on top (Fender Jazz).

You can PM your addy if interested.

Or if you still want to go cheap, I have liked the Ernie Ball Slinky's on my Fender and Yamaha 4 strings.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

I had that problem years ago before the internet made it easier to get short scale strings for my Musicmaster. I wonder if the newer Carvin/LaBella strings are longer to accommodate the string-through-the-body thing on the newer bridges, and their 35" scale basses. You need a shorter string that has an earlier taper at the tuner end. Juststrings.com has all sorts of lengths so you should be able to find a similar string with a shorter length.

Or do the bridge swap idea and string the B through the body....

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Carvin are LaBellas -I have been using the Stainless for a long time. Sounds like you need to take a file to the edge of the slot in your tuning peg.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

On the cheap vs. expensive string arguement: When I was playing 7 days a week in college I went through numerous sets of D'Addario, Dean Markley, Ernie Ball, Fender, GHS and Rotosound as well as some off brands here and there. I was changing them about every 7-10 days because I wanted to keep that zingy new sound on my passive jazz 5. Toward the end I started playing them until they were completely dead because I was sick of wasting money. They lasted a couple weeks between the daily beating I was giving them and the acidic sweat pouring off my hands in the Florida heat. Now I'm back to playing almost every day and I've used three different sets of DR strings to try them out and they've lasted well over a month each. When I compare the $20-$25 for an average set of strings to the $35 for a set of DRs that easily last me twice as long or longer...I have no doubt that the DRs are a better value to me.

Sounds like you need to take a file to the edge of the slot in your tuning peg.

They are Sperzell locking tuners and I looked and don't see a problem. Maybe if I just leave enough extra to put a layer of the cloth covered part completely over the peg first?

I wonder if the newer Carvin/LaBella strings are longer to accommodate the string-through-the-body thing on the newer bridges, and their 35" scale basses.

You may be right here. The metal part of the string does wrap around the post on the B. I think maybe it used to be just the cloth wrapped part did. This may be tough to do as the B string is closest to the nut. I really don't think that should matter though as the D'Addarios I have on there now wrap a good turn and a half of the metal part around the post.

"The string sizes are:040-060-080-100-128."

Kind of a different set of string gages. It doesn't sound typical. Yeah you might want to try Just strings and buy some bulk strings. A .128 B string souns like an odd gage size to me and it may be hard to find that. As far as a ready made nickel wound taper string set I don't know of any and it sounds like the others may have a few ideas.

When I heard that your B is breaking at the post I too thought that there is something going on at the post like a burr. You may be right about the tempering of the core wire and that it is too brittle but I would have thought whoever makes Carvin's strings would have washed that out in the quality control. I don't think the silk will have any effect on anything. The strings I use have no silk on them and I've had no breakage problem at the machines. Have you tried a different brand of string to see if it breaks? If not just buy a B string and put it on. If it breaks then there has to be something wrong with the post. If not then let the hunt begin.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

But I bet the tension figures are more even across strings with that heavier B.

I use 45-60-80-105-130...and 135 would probably be even closer on tension!

Peace.

--s-uu

Exactly.

What I was getting at was that the string tension (of the OP's set) won't be as even as other sets because of the light gauge across 4 strings and suddenly jumping to a much heavier gauge (probably a pretty floppy E in comparison to the B).

If you notice, SW, the gauges you'd prefer jump from one string to the next a difference of 15, 20, 25, 30 which makes sense when you're working with the same materials and build method for each string and are mounting them on the same scale length. The OP's gauges jump 20, 20, 20, 28. Yeah, that helps tighten up a floppy B but it doesn't achieve consistency accross the rest of the strings.

If he prefers uneven tension that's cool, many people do. Different strokes.

If you notice, SW, the gauges you'd prefer jump from one string to the next a difference of 15, 20, 25, 30 which makes sense when you're working with the same materials and build method for each string and are mounting them on the same scale length. The OP's gauges jump 20, 20, 20, 28. Yeah, that helps tighten up a floppy B but it doesn't achieve consistency accross the rest of the strings.

Good observation. FWIW I have found 45-60-80-105 to be a gold standard in trying to achieve balanced tension with several 4-string sets that start with .045'' or end on .105''.

Good observation. FWIW I have found 45-60-80-105 to be a gold standard in trying to achieve balanced tension with several 4-string sets that start with .045'' or end on .105''.

Indeed. +1

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

• 2 weeks later...
Got a phone call from a big shot at LaBella strings. Explained the problem and was sympathetic. It's a Carvin design thing. They ordered the strings made longer for the new through-the-body basses and now they're too long for older ones like mine that don't string that way. Didn't offer to send me any freebies though...

Got a phone call from a big shot at LaBella strings. Explained the problem and was sympathetic. It's a Carvin design thing. They ordered the strings made longer for the new through-the-body basses and now they're too long for older ones like mine that don't string that way. Didn't offer to send me any freebies though...

Ha! Hooray for me!

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

Archived