Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Good Live Performance, Mediocre Records or Vice Versa

ProfD

A studio recording can be hit or miss. Same goes for a live performance. Different things have to line up.

Yet, there are artists/bands who are consistently better in one way or the other.

Soulive is a band whose studio recordings do not capture the vibe of their live performance. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Prof,

Where do you get all these thought-provoking topics? :idea:

I would submit that Spyro Gyra is mediocre on the record side but fantastic live. I think the tightness of the band, the sophistication of the music and the incredible musicianship required to pull it off doesn't translate well enough on a recording. But I saw them live and they blew me away. :thu:

Regards,

Joe

Well Joe, I 'think' about music more than I'm willing to schlep and play under less than ideal conditions i.e. Brinks truck with armed hotties. :laugh:

Since I'm not interested in the new line of golf pants, hanging out and stirring up the pot here is a great outlet for an old muso. ;):cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I would submit that Spyro Gyra is mediocre on the record side but fantastic live. I think the tightness of the band, the sophistication of the music and the incredible musicianship required to pull it off doesn't translate well enough on a recording. But I saw them live and they blew me away. Joe

I have the same opinion of Little Feat.

Well Joe, I 'think' about music more than I'm willing to schlep and play under less than ideal conditions i.e. Brinks truck with armed hotties. :laugh:

Since I'm not interested in the new line of golf pants, hanging out and stirring up the pot here is a great outlet for an old muso. ;):cool:

Armed hotties and golf pants in the same post! You are scintillating today, ProfD :)

I would submit that Spyro Gyra is mediocre on the record side but fantastic live. I think the tightness of the band, the sophistication of the music and the incredible musicianship required to pull it off doesn't translate well enough on a recording. But I saw them live and they blew me away. Joe

I have the same opinion of Little Feat.

+1 definitely

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Archived