Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: My daughter graduated from Barnard College!

Chad Thorne

Link below to the video webcast of the ceremony. If you're interested, commencement speaker Hillary Clinton starts her speech at 1:04:10. My daughter's name, Emma Thorne, is called at 1:31:48, and she steps into the frame to receive her diploma at 1:31:55. If you're not interested I don't mind.

My daughter and I are estranged (thanks to Mom) and I haven't seen her in 17 years, so being able to see her graduate is a precious gift. Emma was born a month premature and I recall walking up and down the hospital corridors at night, singing to her, while her mother slept, recovering from the C-section. - Aw, shoot...:cry:

Anyway, suffice it to say that I am so proud of her success despite not being able to take any credit for it.

rtsp://realmedia.cc.columbia.edu/acis/advanced/commencement/2009/Barnard-arch.smi

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Thanks.

Apparently you'll have to copy and paste from "rtsp" to "smi." I don't know why the url came out that way.

I tried that but it still didn't work so I did a quick search and came up with links I posted directly from the college website.

Hopefully you can weasel your way back into her life, take any opportunity you can.
Tried that. She threatened to change her last name if I tried again. :laugh:

My mother and my wife, who are women and ought to know, say she'll come looking for me at some point down the road. I pray that's true.

Hopefully you can weasel your way back into her life, take any opportunity you can.
Tried that. She threatened to change her last name if I tried again. :laugh:

My mother and my wife, who are women and ought to know, say she'll come looking for me at some point down the road. I pray that's true.

I can attest that teenage rebellion and bitterness toward parents frequently carries over into the 20-something years. I'll pray that she comes out of it sooner than later.

Chad--since your daughter is now 22, I presume, what's keeping you from reaching out to her and trying to re-establish a connection. It's time.
See my post above. I tried that last year and she got very angry with me and told me never to try and contact her again. So I'll have to wait for her.

Ross, Geoff - thanks for sharing your encouraging experiences.

Congrats on this - proud and sad at the same time is a tough way to go. I hope she comes back at some point, but at least you know she's on a good path in life.

Tom

www.stoneflyrocks.com

Acoustic Color

Be practical as well as generous in your ideals. Keep your eyes on the stars and keep your feet on the ground. - Theodore Roosevelt

Archived