Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Future Hall of fame inductees

Eric Jx

The thread on coldplay got me thinking of the following question:

What artists, who are not yet eligible, will be inducted in the hall of fame?

Coldplay?

Radiohead?

Guns and Roses?

Mettalica?

Justin Timberlake?

Green day?

Matchbox 20?

Eminem?

NIN?

Dave Matthews band?

Blues travellers?

Others?

Forget for a minute who you do and do not like as an artist. I'm not asking who SHOULD get in. I'm asking who will.

• Replies 27
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Sorry but 2/3rds don't belong on that list.

Doesn't matter, most of those guys will make it anyway. Here's why:

Coldplay: whether you like them or not, have sold a lot of records and have inspired enough kids to pick up a guitar and write songs. Meandering, boring songs, but songs nonetheless.

Radiohead: ABSOLUTELY. Completely original, innovative and constantly blurring the line between rock, punk, electronica. Have never comprimised artistic integrity for commercial success, in fact quite the opposite. Their music will live through the ages.

Guns N' Roses: Kind of like the Pete Rose syndrome. On the one hand, Appetite For Destruction released in the late eighties completely obliterated spandex-clad, hair sprayin' cheeseball rockers and ushered in raw rock ferocity fueled by lyrics of urban decadence and fat creamy guitars yet retained singing melodies. Unfortunately, the egos were equally powerful and excess and decline were inevitable. Axl Rose's attempts at keeping the brand name alive are a disgrace to the fans. Slash alone deserves induction for being one of the last true guitar heroes.

Metallica: Where would heavy metal be without them?

Justin Timberlake: Tough one. It's pop, but it's very, very good pop.

Green Day: Brought back punk in a very catchy/pop way in the mid-nineties. Unfortunately, AOR rock has been stuck in that genre ever since

Matchbox 20: Not sure they're going to make it, but you never know. The thing is, the competition is so scarce that they seem like hugely important and influecial.

Eminem: To say he brought urban hip hop to white suburban kids would be overstating I think, but he definitely was the final tidal wave that allowed Hip Hop to be the music of a generation. Whether you like him or not, his rhymes were stellar and thought-provoking and his influence, although rather brief, is incalculable.

NIN: I think so. I see Trent Reznor continuing Bowie's Berlin Era tradition. Electronica, techno, avant-garde, industrial.

Dave Matthews Band and Blues Traveller: Well, they proved that instumental jams by good musicians could still draw huge crowds of all ages. They seemed to fill a void that's existed ever since Kurt Cobain's death in the music industry for authentic, passionate music by real musicians.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

Wow I can't believe they would even be considered. No one will care about half those people in 20 years.

Since when does that have any bearing on induction into the HoF?

A few examples from the RnRHoF Inductee List; how many of these do you actually care about/remember?

2004 - The Dells

2001 - Solomon Burke, The Flamingos

2000 - The Moonglows

1998 - Lloyd Price

(no disrespected intended towards the above-mentioned)

The Hall is a joke, plain and simple.

That being said, Metallica is one of the 2009 Inductees.

:snax:

Sven said: A few examples from the RnRHoF Inductee List; how many of these do you actually care about/remember?

2004 - The Dells 2001 - Solomon Burke, The Flamingos 2000 - The Moonglows 1998 - Lloyd Price

You gotta be kidding! The Dells, Flamingos, and Moonglows were huge Do-Wop acts in the 50s and 60s. Solomon Burke and Lloyd Price were solo acts that had great R&B/Rock roots. These guys set the stage for all the rockers who followed.

Sven said: A few examples from the RnRHoF Inductee List; how many of these do you actually care about/remember?

2004 - The Dells 2001 - Solomon Burke, The Flamingos 2000 - The Moonglows 1998 - Lloyd Price

You gotta be kidding! The Dells, Flamingos, and Moonglows were huge Do-Wop acts in the 50s and 60s. Solomon Burke and Lloyd Price were solo acts that had great R&B/Rock roots. These guys set the stage for all the rockers who followed.

I know who they are, having been raised in a home with 50's/60's rock'n'roll playing virtually non-stop. ; the question was posed to Outkaster based on his "who will care about any of them in 20 years" question. :thu:

I'm probably just showing my ignorance of the 50s, but I get the impression that anybody who picked up a guitar in that decade, will be eventually inducted in the hall of fame.

Yep... yep, you are. :wave:

It's a crime that Rush still hasn't been nominated after nearly 40 years.

Wow! I didn't know that. They definitely have paid their dues. But who gives a rat's ass about that stuff anyways? All that should matter for any artist is that they're able to record and perform their music and have an audience for it. In Rush's case, they have over 30 Gold albums and continue to sell out arena/stadium concert tours. Hall of Fame or not, no one could deny that kind of track record. Same goes for anybody else.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

It is tough to figure the rationale behind inclusion for sure. Selling a lot of records, absolutely, but that would include earworms like "You Light Up My Life" and put Debbie Boone in. On the other hand, I suppose I could argue that the Kingsmen ought to be in on the basis of "Louie Louie;" certainly a major influence and the first song garage bands of my era ever learned.

I suppose you'd have to find the one tune every young garage band knows. For a while there it seemed like every kid with a guitar had to play "Iron Man" and Sabbath is in the Hall, I do believe. As for right now, this minute, you'll have to ask some of the younger forumites. I am way past the curve.

Today, original members, Mike Mitchell, and Dick Peterson are joined by Todd McPherson, Kim Nicklaus and Steve Peterson as they tour the country with their special magic and great rock and roll. The Kingsmen, still going strong. continue playing conventions, fairs, festivals, theme parks, colleges and benefits from coast to coast.

Not knowing anything about the nomination process, I would automatically disqualify Timberlake and Eminem for the reason that I don't consider their music to be rock and roll. That's not a put-down. I wouldn't think that Zeppelin would be in the hip-hop hall of fame either (if there was one. Is there?).

As for the remaining from that list, nothing against Blues Traveler or Matchbox 20, but neither of those bands strike me as one that has gone above and beyond in terms of artistic influence and/or popularity. As much as I like Coldplay, I think they need a little more time under their belts before I could consider them a lock. Guns N' Roses had a relatively short life span (I don't count the current "name only" incarnation), but they still would get my vote. Radiohead, Metallica, Green Day, NIN, and Dave Matthews would all easily make it if it were up to me.

Not knowing anything about the nomination process, I would automatically disqualify Timberlake and Eminem for the reason that I don't consider their music to be rock and roll.

Do you consider the Bee-Gees rock and roll? How about Madonna? It seems like they define rock and roll pretty loosely.

Call me an old sap, but I enjoyed the Rock Hall as a museum. I think the induction ceremonies/concerts are an abysmal wank-fest, and the obligatory all-star jams are nauseating, but the fact that there's a building that has all this cool pop music-related STUFF in it is...well, cool. C'mon--the Stones' Mellotron? Gotta love it! The dark room upstairs with the plaques...anti-climactic. I just really dug the exhibits.

Does it really matter who gets inducted?

9 Moog things, 3 Roland things, 2 Hammond things and a computer with stuff on it

I think they mean popular music since the mid 1950's that isn't country...

Wouldn't you classify Johnny Cash as country? He's in.

I'm guessing they don't have a lot of country artists -= after all, there is a Country Music Hall of Fame, founded much earlier in 1961. The Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is not without its controversies over nominations.

The way I see it, is the hall has been consistently honoring 4-6 acts every year. In another 15 years, the acts that came to prominence in the 90s are going to be considered.

If the hall is going to keep up their 4-6/year pace, they are going to have to elect around 50 artists from the 90s. Can you name 50 artist from the 90's that are worthy of a hall of fame induction? That's why I expect acts like Matchbox 20 and blues travellers to eventually get in.

Consider John Mellencamp. Don't get me wrong, I'm a product of the 80s and I generally liked his music, but is he really an innovator? Is he a premier artist? I'd say he's in because he was a popular artist, but not hugely popular. Roughly as popular as Matchbox 20/Rob Thomas.

Archived