Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: To Californians

Chad Thorne

I grew up in the East Bay and later was all over the west and SF. It made me appreciate where I am now - which is at 2860 feet surrounded by pine trees and great trout fishing.

LA is a toilet that needs flushing. There is no charm and history like SF.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I enjoyed living in Monterey, and visting San Francisco much more than LA.

But I prefer 4 seasons, and green hills, I'll stay where I am.

"Call me what instrument you will, though you can fret me, yet you cannot play upon me.'-Hamlet

Guitar solos last 30 seconds, the bass line lasts for the whole song.

If I walk out my front door, turn left and walk 100 feet to the corner, I can see the S.F. Bay, The Golden Gate Bridge with the ocean behind it, downtown San Francisco, Alcatraz Island, Angel Island, and Mount Tamalpais.

how often do you see that with your mind's eye because the fog has rolled in?

either way, i'm jealous. i miss seeing that view.

robb.

If I walk out my front door, turn left and walk 100 feet to the corner, I can see the S.F. Bay, The Golden Gate Bridge with the ocean behind it, downtown San Francisco, Alcatraz Island, Angel Island, and Mount Tamalpais.

how often do you see that with your mind's eye because the fog has rolled in?

Every day in the morning and evening. :) But the fog lifts around 11 am and then it's a beautiful view.

either way, i'm jealous. i miss seeing that view.

I enjoyed when you visited and got to drive you up the hill so you could see the view below. Come back again!

http://terraverde.files.wordpress.com/2009/02/berkeley_lab_view.jpg

In any other state in the onion, that would be called "sprawl". In Cali, it's a "view".

In any other state in the onion, it's dead grass. In the Sierra Madres, it's the "golden hills"

In any other state in the onion, it's smog. In SoCal, it's "coastal haze".

In any other state in the onion, it's rust. In SF, it's the "Golden Gate Bridge".

I guess that's the disadvantage from being from either nowhere or everywhere ... Although I claim Philly by birthright, I never lived anywhere long enough to be an elitest snob (or a hater) concerning the state I (or someone else) lived in. That goes for pretty much all of them. Except Hawaii. Hawaii is tHe RaWkSxXxZoR1!!!!!

(Yes, I lived there for a few years).

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

The bay is pretty, Jeremy, but I have to tell you - speaking strictly for myself - that seeing all those houses pressed cheek-by-jowl together is not attractive to me.

I just stepped inside from taking my pup out to pee. We have no streetlights on our road, so the stars are plainly visible; no neighbors across the road, and my neighbors on either side are out of sight of my house. So quiet I can hear our horse munching her evening hay, crickets, rustlings of nocturnal creatures in the woods out back. We love this. Both Susanna and I have lived in big cities in the past, and still enjoy some of those urban amenities from time to time, but really prefer being out in what we in Maine call the "puckerbrush," or "puckies."

I've lived in NYC all of my life, but I did get to visit the big CA on a few occasions (Long Beach, SD, LA, SF). I can definitely see myself living in Frisco or San Diego, both wonderful places for different reasons.

I did not get the hype of LA. It might be nice to go there your first time as a tourist seeing the sights, but I don't get how people live there.

I like Queens.

I like Queens.

You do?

I've worked in NYC for a while now but must admit it's a love/hate thing for me. I've lived within a few minutes of NYC all my life, though now it's a few minutes extra, and I can't see me living anywhere else, unless I get my dream of a unibomber style shack in the middle of nowhere. I like being close to everything but just far enough removed to have my peace.

As far as LA, it never appealed to me, it just seem like a gray barren land with no true personality. I wouldn't mind visiting but I'd rather hit other parts of the state first.

If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

When in San Francisco don't use the word Frisco when talking to those that reside there. I'm just sayin'.

Wally

I've lived in NYC all of my life, but I did get to visit the big CA on a few occasions (Long Beach, SD, LA, SF). I can definitely see myself living in Frisco or San Diego, both wonderful places for different reasons.

I did not get the hype of LA. It might be nice to go there your first time as a tourist seeing the sights, but I don't get how people live there.

I like Queens.

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

I like being close to everything but just far enough removed to have my peace.

That's the main reason I like it. Living in nothern Queens, I am far enough away from the hustle and bustle, but can jump on the highway and be anywhere in 20 minutes (traffic permitting, of course).

Sailors are allowed to call the town by that name. No one else.

I just looked up a Frisco Sandwich. I've never seen that on a menu in 40 years of living here.

I also can't ever remember seeing Boston Cream Pie on a menu when I lived near Boston.

One more question: did Hoagie Carmichael have a brother named Reuben? A sister named Muffaletta? (oops, that was two questions)

I also can't ever remember seeing Boston Cream Pie on a menu when I lived near Boston.

I have. There's even one Dunkin' Donuts that my old boss used to stop by on her way in from RI that has Boston Cream Munchkins. Try finding those!

I did go into a McDonald's in Boston that had lobster rolls on the menu. For $3.75.

You're not going to see that anywhere else.

Possibly Maine...?

As much as I'd like to say I'd never trust anything they label as seafood at McD's...I can't turn down their fish sandwich.

I did go into a McDonald's in Boston that had lobster rolls on the menu. For $3.75.

You're not going to see that anywhere else.

Possibly Maine...?

Possibly. I can't think any self-respecting Mainiac would buy a lobster sandwich at Mickey D's even at that price. We all know too many lobster fishermen!

Archived