Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Is this why self-promotion for musicians is futile ?

d  halfnote

• Replies 42
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Your intended subject has been to take an advertising class from the start? ;)

Oh, you "wascally wabbit!" :D

That would be funnier if you'd not had to subvert your own original statement to crank out the joke.

d=halfnote

Honestly, I listened to about 3 minutes of the 1st video (hoping it would get better at some point) and it sounded like someone threw a jazz ensemble down a flight of stairs with a gang at the bottom beating them with baseball bats as they got to the bottom.
See, to me that would be very entertaining!

Yes, but you'll have to look that up @ rhapsody.com .

I'm sure somewhere one can even see beef art...but we're getting waaaaaaaaaay OffT, so unless we can discuss the proper topic, which I think is a neglected subject, let's let this thread go before someone else clambers on to confuse it w/ the Favors tribute.

Surely our random witticisms will find another home, like here maybe:

https://forums.musicplayer.com/ubbthreads.php/forums/38/1/Downstairs_Lounge

I've gotta get ready for a Derek Trucks show coming to town tomorrow where I'm hoping to get to talk to him before his upcoming layoff.

d=halfnote

Thanks, JC, but actually it's always been the same onscreen name & as far as post count, I was referring to the registration dates in my volley w/ Picker's attempted seniority & misunderstanding of the changed subject matter.

He's got more posts; I've been here longer. I think we can all agree that post counts might be relative simply to how much someone says but that, ultimately, neither counts or dates have anything to do with validity.

My attempt to turn the subject from the other thread to this one is meant to explore why or not most people would be tempted to visit any online site to check out music not to keep gnawing on why few checked out or commented on Favors.

More & more we'll be dealing with marketing things online & what works or doesn't seems worth looking into.

For instance, regarding what Tim said about listening to radio DJ's inanity but what about the split between people listening to "air" radio & other forms, such as having a laptop on the car seat beside you ?

The more fractured the landscape, the more tricks need be developed to garner attention.

+1 about registration and post count. I've been spouting nonsense since 2003.

As a rule, I avoid opening links to online sites. There can be issues with download speed (who wants to sit through 5 minutes of a three minute video that stops and starts? Yes, these can be connectivity issues, or old hardware, or goofy spyware filters, but it's still annoying). I also aviod opening links to places where I don't know where I'm going. I have my anti-virus set to "parinoid", my firewall set to "none shall pass" and I don't share admin rights to my home network. And I line my hat with aluminum foil to keep the CIA from using weather satillites from reading my thoughts. Outside of my MP3 player (which keeps the band's set list) and maybe three radio stations, I don't listen to, look for, or am really interested in seeing what other people are doing. I support links to other forumites, but when I encounter the odd "Check Out This Band ... They Are ThE rAwKsXxXxZzOr!!!", I am normally disappointed.

Marketing is hard now. Every pin-head on the planet with an instrument (me included) has a website, myspace or some other account where they can post their 15 minutes of fame. We are now presented with the situation to where I have to suffer a multitude of the incoherent "musical" meanderings of a bunch of sweaty, post-pubecent, no-talent hack noobs who are playing Korn riffs pooly for the sole purpose of hoping it gets sweaty, post-pubecent girls to take their close off or some goofy, tone-deaf dweeb singing "You're So Vain" on a kareoke site who is hoping to be the next finalist on "Idol" to find that one gem, that one shining facet, that shaft of light, that spark of inspiration and brilliance and talent that lies out there waiting to be discovered.

Unless you have or can develope a large local following or a record contract, it's almost doomed.

Ph'nglui mglw'nafh Cthulhu R'lyeh wgah'nagl fhtagn

Everyone in any business bangs their head against this wall, and my head hurts too. There is a lot out there. A lot of crap! A lot of great stuff too but certainly, mostly crap. The jist of this thread is how to get "clicks". It is that simple, no? Millions are, excuse me, hundreds of millions are dumped annually in to trying to get "clicks". It is marketing. Period. "Increase your income!", "Increase your man-hood!", "Eliminate your debt!", "Cleanse your colon!", "Win a Laptop!", "Win a record contract!" clickclickclickclickclickclickclick

In this day and age, the cream isn't always rising to the top. Turds float too. Turds with lots of money float the best.

I am not calling your stuff cream, nor am I calling your stuff turds. I am also guilty of not clicking. And you are right, it is just as simple as pushing a button. Sadly, it is easier to not click the button. I enjoy listening to things I have not heard before. But I have to be in a "surfing" mood.

Coincidently, I would also like to hear the sound of a jazz band thrown down a flight of stairs!

Did I get this or am I waaaayyy off? I was in a rush..... Back to job #2 now. enjoy the weekend!

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

maybe they could get some mountain yodelers to gargle some boiling water to sing back-ups for the bird callers.

I could see this getting almost as out of hand as the "Name my Band Thread".......it's all over if bNb hijacks this!

Carvin Bunny Brunel Signature 5 String, ESP LTD 5 String, Ampeg SVT3, Ampeg 4x10 and 1x18

www.captaincutthroat.com

Archived