Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Jeff Beck Freeway Jam

Geof

I have been searching online for DAYS trying to find an actual piano tab for this song. I am an intermediate player and figuring out these chords is a bit beyond my ability...but I can play it if I can find the tabs. HELLLLPPPP!!!

• Replies 29
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Geof, let's not get testy asking for free advice. :)

Geof, I bet if you spend some more time listening to that music you could easily figure the handful of chords being used.

I listened to the first several minutes. God, I could listen to that music all night, .... but I'm not going to.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=etzBXz30LQU

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Yeah, that piano part is killer, especially the feedback and the bends.

What the f?

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

I have been searching online for DAYS trying to find an actual piano tab for this song.

Google results for Freeway Jam tab

Google results for Freeway Jam sheet music

Typing "Freeway Jam keyboard tab" pulled up a bunch of hits including:

Freeway Jam Tab by Jeff Beck @ 911Tabs - Tabs Search Engine

Accurate Freeway Jam guitar tab, bass tab, drum tab, piano tab, power tab, guitar pro tab, chords by Jeff Beck @ 911Tabs.Com

Heckuva resource, that Google. :thu:

dB

:snax:

:keys:==> David Bryce Music • Funky Young Monks <==:rawk:

Maybe he was tying to go thru teh interwebz, one site at a time.

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

That is an awesome vid. An amazing display of bad fashion, too. The purple blazer guy shredding. Jan Hammer with his keytar. That's awesome.

The only thing Jeff Beck could do to make a better band would be to get a sexy bass player. :)

Geoff, figure out what the bass note is first. Then it's easy to figure out the chords, usually.

That is an awesome vid. An amazing display of bad fashion, too. The purple blazer guy shredding. Jan Hammer with his keytar. That's awesome.

The only thing Jeff Beck could do to make a better band would be to get a sexy bass player. :)

Isn't the purple shredder guy Steve Lukather?

And as for sexy bass players, have you seen who's been playing bass with Jeff recently?

http://www.nikonlive.com/behindthelens/jerome_brunet/posters/24.jpg

Moe

---

From that first link that Dave Bryce gave ...

(http://www.ultimate-guitar.com/tabs/j/jeff_beck/freeway_jam_tab.htm)

(keyboard solo)

|

i don't think u need it u are a guitarist

(begin fade)

(fade out)

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

And as for sexy bass players, have you seen who's been playing bass with Jeff recently?

My guess is he was using a bit of the sarcasm when he said that! :)

If that girl wasn't my daughter's age, well, never mind....

Live: Korg Kronos 2 88, Nord Electro 5d Nord Lead A1

Toys: Roland FA08, Novation Ultranova, Moog LP, Roland SP-404SX, Roland JX10,Emu MK6

www.bksband.com

www.echoesrocks.com

And this has exactly WHAT to do with my request for info on a keyboard tab for Freeway Jam?
The reason you got grief is because

(a) we get a lot of requests for keyboard tabs, and

(b) there is really no such thing

We call it "sheet music", which would generally use normal music notation, and which often includes chords, or a "chart", which gives the chords but assumes you can figure out a lot of nuance, including voicings and color notes. The most typical version of chart is called a "lead sheet", where the melody is written in normal music notation, with the chords noted above or below the staff.

The closest thing to "keyboard tab" would be MIDI piano-roll-style charts, which are particularly difficult to follow.

My suggestion is to search for a MIDI version of the song and load that into a DAW or MIDI player that shows the notes as they're played on a virtual keyboard, and play along, stopping and starting as needed. There's a very good MIDI version of "Cause We've Ended as Lovers". It sounds like dogmeat when played through built-in MIDI players in computers (i.e., General MIDI implementations), but the notes it plays sound right to me.

Anyway, the trick to playing this tune isn't the chords at all, it's the groove. The chords in the turnaround are trivial, just major chords.

The groove is F/G and G, and it's all in how you play them, and keeping the (simple) polyrhythm going (or you can think of it as constant half-note triplets going on, with syncopation).

Of course, Max Middleton eats this stuff for lunch, and copping his part authentically would take some serious work, which you won't find in a "chart", and not likely as sheet music either. Someone may have done the MIDI part, though.

:D

That's what I'm talking about :lol: It came up in another thread around here somewhere. There's a live DVD with his recent band, and she's really amazing-- and I don't just mean her good looks. Her playing is beautiful, and her unassuming and gleeful stage presence is very appealing.

The studio version does have some tasty rhodes chords in the intro:

[video:youtube]

There's loads of killer Clav parts on this album (Blow By Blow), not jus' Rhodes. One of my favs.

Beck's next album, Wired, does have Jan Hammer's great synth work, but the writing is just better on BBB.

Amazingly, there is such a thing as keyboard tablature, if you google for it as Dave pointed out. I'm willing to bet most people here never heard of it; I never had. Geof you just have to realize most musicians have only heard of traditional music notation, and keyboard tab is I am sure geared for the amateur, like perhaps the arranger keyboard market (not making a value judgement, just sayin').

Now, with guitar tab, there is one type of information conveyed that traditional music notation doesn't convey, and that is fret position. With keyboard tab, there is no additional information that traditional music notation doesn't have. In fact, it looks like tab cannot display complex rhythms precisely, whereas regular notation can. So I would recommend learning traditional notation - there is tons of teaching materials available, whereas with tab I doubt there is very much.

As Learjeff said, with this song it is more about the groove. You need to listen to it over and over, and try as best as you can and cop the feel of the part being played. That is how we all have learned specific keyboard parts, not by finding the part notated (unless it is classical of course). Developing your ear is important. Getting lessons from someone is also a good idea. One thing to learn is how a more knowledgeable player learns a part, and that can best be shown in person. Good luck!

http://bach-cantatas.com/Pic-Sco/BWV1121T.jpg

I for one am glad we have conventional notation instead of this.

IMO,- the best version is the original one from the record Jeff Beck and the Jan Hammer Group live.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qIqlDdU_jGY

A.C.

Good on Al, +1

Here's my fav off the album. Jan's moog solo :thu:.

[video:youtube]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=2SrI52C5HhM&feature=related

MPCX, RD-800, Vsynth, Matrix 12

Amazingly, there is such a thing as keyboard tablature, if you google for it as Dave pointed out.
The google Dave pointed out went to a page that has a web tab for "keyboard tab", but if you follow the links, they're just lyric/chord charts.

I'll be impressed if anyone can show me "keyboard tab" that has any of the advantages of guitar tab, other than the equivalent of a MIDI piano roll (which is readable without any knowledge, but has few other advantages).

Archived