Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

did I just fart?

crusie

well I did release some GAS anyways - just ordered and recieved a "big one" from barefaced bass in UK - kind of proud to be the first in Denmark ever to get one of those :D.

going to band practice tonight to "break it in" and already now I can say with confidence that it rips my 4X12" apart - more crips mids, better lows, and lovely highs ^^ only thing I'd say was below perfect is the design on the cab - looks very DIY - that may mean something to someone - all I care about is sound - it could be pink with yellow polka dots as long as it sounds like this.

btw here is a link for his site - incase you don't know the cabs. I'll give a better review when I've been testing it more

• Replies 9
  • Created
  • Last Reply
only thing I'd say was below perfect is the design on the cab - looks very DIY

Well Alex is only one guy building cabs by hand. I don't think it gets much more DIY than that.

Do you mean the "design" or the "execution of said design"? I trust that the design is superbly crafted from what I know of Alex and from the pics I always thought they looked very well put together (but one can't be positive from just pictures). I think clarification is needed.

We expect a full review tomorrow. :D

Do you mean the "design" or the "execution of said design"? I trust that the design is superbly crafted from what I know of Alex and from the pics I always thought they looked very well put together (but one can't be positive from just pictures). I think clarification is needed.

I mean the design - the execution of the design is perfect - it's just that said design looks DIY - but I'm guessing that's the reason these cabs are half the price than the El whappo

review is on it's way

I'm guessing that's the reason these cabs are half the price than the El whappo

Apples to oranges. Small business where (from what I can tell for the time being) the owner is trying to make some meager profit to compensate himself for the time he spends doing what he loves vs. a smallish company that has grown by leaps and bounds in the last several years to the point of world-wide representation, big name endorsing artists and keeping up with supply needs for retailers like Musiciansfriend. AG has MUCH more overhead to cover with sales...hence higher prices.

I've played an El Whappo. It's really cool but not the be-all-end-all. From what I've read about Alex's design process, his should sound equivalent if not better (I suspect the latter). That's the beauty of individual production over mass production...Alex doesn't have to worry so much about saving a few pennies per cab because in the end the savings on the handful of cabs he builds won't be as significant as if he were building as many as (for example) Mark at AccuGroove.

I will say that Alex's designs look very straightforward on the outside. Industrial, rather than something you'd buy because it looks nice on stage...but then, that's definitely not why somebody would be attracted to his cabs.

sorry for being so slow to type the wanted review of this cab - been busy playing on it :D.

first off I'd like to introduce my gear - this way some of you maybe can use your gear as a reference.

bass: Läkland skyline 55-01¨

amp: Markbass littlemark II

pedal: boss me20b ( not used in review - explanation will come later)

cab: Barefaced Big one

ok here we go.

I was reading all the reviews of this cab - any info I could find. which sadly isn't much. loads and loads of text reviews but no real a/b tests or anything. - so I took the chance of emailing Alex - almost bombarding the poor dude with questions. think as of now we have like 30 e-mail and responses. all the way through Alex answered my questions precisely and in good manner - even if I asked the most stupid questions :D. Great guy that Alex.

I ordered the cab friday and it was here the next wensday - this wasn't actually Alex's fault since he shipped it as soon as he got the order. fedex screwed up and dropped it in UK-UK delivery. I live in Denmark by the way. oh and I transferred him the money from homebanking - no problems at all.

now to the interesting part. I finally recieved the cab. the package itself was in poor shape. seems like the fedex guys had been using the box for playing lift truck soccer or something ^^. in fact it was so bad that the polystyrene corners used when packing the box was ripped to a million pieces as was laying in the buttom of the box. I immediatly told the driver that I suspected the cab to be faulty and took whatever percausion you can - just in case.

so I took the cab inside and fired it up... no sound. now... this is where I was really pissed at fedex. so I sent another e-mail for Alex telling him about the whole issue. I also told him that I would suspect it would be a wire comming loose somewhere between the crossover and the speakon stick ( which by the way is placed in upper left corner when viewing the cab from behind - neat feature - only like a feet or 2 of cable :D). I then told him abit about my background in building speaker cabs ( not for bass - but for car audio) and told him that I probably could fix this myself, but was afraid I might void the guarantee. he wrote back and told me that I could open the cap. he also told me that he was rethinking his way of shipping these packages when they had to go on a aeroplane - since he suspected that this was where the package had taken most damage.

yikes! wall of text! well to make this long story short ( too late....) I plucked the wire back in and told alex how and where and the cab sounded perfect. Alex wrote back how he would improve this "weak spot" and gave me pointers in doing the same to my own cab. but I don't think I'm gonna do that. I mean - this cab probably took a beating my old cab would have crumbled under and not a scratch - not anything. yeah a wire came loose... but that's it - how's that for sturdy!

well all this matters nothing now - I got a cab that's way better sounding that what I've ever played before. it has that snarly growl if you want it - great mids and super highs. the woofer isn't played totally in yet. but I see the excursion is getting better meaning more buttom as it's played. in fact it sounds so much better than my old cab that I now can hear what a piece of crap equipment my pedal is. I just can't get a decent clean and dirty tone out of it. Directly into the amp sounds so much better. And I also got a Sansamp Bass driver DI deluxe on it's way - just need to sell some of my old equipment first.

I talked abit about the design of the cab - saying it's not a diamond to the eye - but what it lacks in design it surely makes up for in sound. I now listen to my bass and think "this is what a recording should sound like" in fact I'm a bit torn in two - not sure I'm gonna use DI for my next recording. I think I'll mic up the cab instead! guitarists have been doing this for years - now it's my turn!

if you guys have any questions where I can be somewhat helpful feel free to ask them! - oh and spelling mistakes, gramma, and odd wordphrasings are put there by the man. He simply just wants us danes to look stupid when writing english.

Nice.

I will say that micing multi-way cabs can be tricky. One mic won't do it. You might still be better off going DI from your head since, IIRC, one of Alex's design goals was to build the cab so that what you hear is exactly how it comes out of your amp.

Thanks for the review.

Archived