Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piss And Moan

Paul K

Yup. We play the whole Aja record, including the title track.

We play it early in the night, and the dancing starts a little later on.

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Nope. Pull out that old vinyl copy of Aja you've got in the basement and play the title track....or Limewire it.... No sub will be able to play that.

We auditioned a couple a month or so ago that I have no doubt could do it if asked. Unfortunately, they were both too busy to come on full time. We ended up with a guy that probably wouldn't play it lick for lick but would come damn close plus he has solid time and is a really cool guy. All this to say don't think of a sub as somebody who just shows up and plays whatever they think fits if you asked them to learn a song...that's just unprofessional subs. Some of the best drummers I've played with have been subs.

Many times sub drummers will play great on the first gig. They're all ears & eyes, groove and play simple. The second gig they think they know the material and sometimes will over play. Of course if they stick around and play with the group enough they'll get it.

Wally

I have basses to play, places to be and good music to make!

Nope. Pull out that old vinyl copy of Aja you've got in the basement and play the title track....or Limewire it.... No sub will be able to play that.

We auditioned a couple a month or so ago that I have no doubt could do it if asked. Unfortunately, they were both too busy to come on full time. We ended up with a guy that probably wouldn't play it lick for lick but would come damn close plus he has solid time and is a really cool guy. All this to say don't think of a sub as somebody who just shows up and plays whatever they think fits if you asked them to learn a song...that's just unprofessional subs. Some of the best drummers I've played with have been subs.

Well, perhaps the "no sub" thing was hyperbole on my part. But the ones who can do it and would do the required homework to do it would cost us more than the gig pays, which means we're back at the mercy of the mercenaries. It's not just one song that's out of the ordinary, it's three quarters of the set list. Even Bodhisattva has that weird beat turn-around in the introduction.

Am dropping off a couple discs this morning to a drummer. Fingers are crossed.....

• 3 weeks later...
Played Monday night with one of the drummers in question. Sounded great on the tunes he had prepared, and he's interested in the seat. So the show will go on, and I'm sure he'll have the list prepated in time. (whew....)

I love playing (and singing) the Dan material. We flit around with Aja, Royal Scam and the like, but we've had Boddhisattva, My Old School, Reelin' In the Years, Pretzel Logic and Don't Take Me Alive in rotation since the early Cretaceous Period. They never get old.

Saw Steely Dan a couple of months ago here in NJ with Keith Carlock on drums. Awesomeness ensued.

Congrats on a really ambitious set of tunes! They're a blast to play eh?

Play. Just play.

• 4 weeks later...

Update.

The gig was last night, and we were again very well received. My vocals have come a long way; I even hit and held out --in tune-- the "Hey-Hey" thing on Pretzel Logic, and found my chorus harmony notes in Peg. The drummer was totally stellar on the entire Aja record stuff, but he clearly didn't listen much to the non-Aja stuff. He tripped over the Green Earrings 7/4 bar riff before each verse every stinkin' time....stuff like that. Beginnings of tunes were very tentative on his part; he just kind of tried hard not to make any major clams on these mystery tunes, so, like, the beginning of FM did not have nearly the impact it should have. But we pulled it off well enough to fool the crowd, and I had a real good time.

The engineer graciously made a recording on my Tascam unit from the board feed. Levels are kinda way too low, but are servicable. Mix is low in guitars due to less guitar being needed in the mix due to stage volume. I wish those guys would turn their amps around. It'll take me a while to edit it, as the show is in two really big files, but I'll post it soon.

From pissing and moaning to smiling.

PeACE

pAUL k..............damn cap locks.....

I'll have to see if I can change the pissed-off red emoticon face on this thread....

The whole show is posted here, warts and all:

http://www.4shared.com/dir/14347509/2947a284/sharing.html

You can listen via streaming audio, or download the tunes. Again, it was a sound board out mix, so guitars are too low. That shouldn't bother a bunch of bass players. I sing lead on these:

dirty work (sound check song...knobs were in motion)

Home At Last

My Old School

Do It Again

Don't Take Me Alive

Pretzel Logic

I'm real pleased with Pretzel Logic; pissed at myself that I came in two bars early after the guitar solo. Backing vocals on Peg are good also (well, good for me anyway...I'm new to this singing thing)

Kid Charlemagne is uh, too fast. Aja turned out real good. Other vocalist forgot lots of words....doh!

http://i176.photobucket.com/albums/w166/ptkbass/PaulHauntgig.jpg

Peace

Paul K

Archived