Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Piss And Moan

Paul K

Ladies and Gentlemen

One of the problems with gigging with a very talented player is that other people also want to gig with him. Our drummer plays the Steely Dan thing verbatim. The entire Aja record, lick for lick. So he's hard to replace. And he just canceled a very big gig 'cause he got a better opportunity. I can't blame him, I'm just pissing and moaning.

Ordinarily, five weeks time would be four weeks too much time to find another player, but this is different due to the commitment level required of the material and the relatively small talent pool here in centrally isolated Ithaca. However, my read is that we need to find another cat anyway, might as well bite the bullet now; but others in the band would rather keep the marriage as it is.

Ah. Just pissing and moaning. "Woe is me", and all that stuff. It's also a little harder to take now 'cause I've got all my eggs in this one pretty little basket. That's gotta change. Gonna have to start my own effort, so that way I can be the oppressive boss.

Thanks for listening.

Paul K

Things are just the way they are, and they're only going to get worse.

• Replies 43
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Perfect example of why I have to be in more than one band.

Join as many as you can Pablo. Get more to piss and moan about.

"He is to music what Stevie Wonder is to photography." getz76

I have nothing nice to say so . . .

If a musician, no matter how talented he is, backs out of a gig in order to take another one, it will come back to bite him.

You need to find another guy; he doesn't care about you, only himself.

Yes. Perhaps if he were joining another band with much better gigs, tours, etc, it would be understandable. If he is just playing one other gig, then it seems a little classless.

I really like being in two bands for a similar reason; one of them is usually fun....

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

If a musician, no matter how talented he is, backs out of a gig in order to take another one, it will come back to bite him.

Yes. Perhaps if he were joining another band with much better gigs, tours, etc, it would be understandable. If he is just playing one other gig, then it seems a little classless.

I don't really agree, Ross. Once you commit to a gig it's a "hell or highwater" kind of thing barring catastrophy. Ducking out for another gig can only hurt a reputation and if somebody thinks they're good enough it won't matter, they represent themselves as one with low commitment/reliability and out of whack priorities. I would not hire such a person again regardless of talent.

Then again, I don't live in Ithaca. Maybe pricliples are conditional there. ;)

You have every right to be angry. This guy dumps out of a job he already committed to for another one supposedly better. Leaving the band high and dry. Not very professional. I'd start looking into finding a new drummer or at the very least a reliable backup if you plan on retaining this turd.

Lydian mode? The only mode I know has the words "pie ala" in front of it.

http://www.myspace.com/theeldoradosband

I don't really agree, Ross. Once you commit to a gig it's a "hell or highwater" kind of thing barring catastrophy. Ducking out for another gig can only hurt a reputation and if somebody thinks they're good enough it won't matter, they represent themselves as one with low commitment/reliability and out of whack priorities. I would not hire such a person again regardless of talent.

Then again, I don't live in Ithaca. Maybe pricliples are conditional there. ;)

I know what you are saying. My point, which doesn't really apply here, is that with 5 weeks notice, for a real, real good opportunity, I would listen. I agree with the general approach that one should never, ever miss a gig.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

Yeah, on one hand I could understand the drummer's actions if it was one of those offers that he just can't pass up, but if the guy had any scrupels, he'd be busting his butt to help you find a replacement/ sub.
"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

I'm beginning to feel better. But I agree that we need to find another drummer, and have felt that way for some time. This cat pays the bills playing drums; he needs to go with the better opportunity. If he burns our bridge, it's not really any skin off of his chin. The other three of us are doctors. We're not gonna quit our day jobs to tour in a Steely Dan cover band. I'm just pissing and moaning. I saw this a long time ago but was unable to convince the others. Maybe now?!?!

Drummers. They are the bane of our existence around here. They are flaky, they don't want to commit, they are the reason we can never get projects going - at least something NOT classic rock or country.

It sucks, as he sounds good, but you need someone else. We're always looking for our next last drummer.

.......And he just canceled a very big gig 'cause he got a better opportunity. I can't blame him.......

I can blame him. If I were the player in question, I would have called you up, told you that I had a life-changing opportunity and offered to help find a replacement. And then if I you had said no, I would have weighed my options and MAYBE regretfully quit your band.

Start looking. A drummer that can play Aja note for note is worthless to you if he's not available on the date of your gig.

Canceling gigs is taking money out of your pocket. That's kinda crummy if he's doing it to put money in his. If he did it to ya once, he'll do it to ya again. Find another one, the sooner the better, and wish that one well on his way to the top. And be sure to wave at him as he goes by on his way back down...

Always remember that you are unique. Just like everyone else.

I was just in Ithaca last week to see friends as I was passing through. I need to find more excuses to visit; great town.

For nearly a year now my band has not had a permanent drummer.

At first we calmly put the word out and auditioned several drummers. How hard could it be for a working band with paying gigs already scheduled to find a replacement drummer?

To put it nicely, not everyone played drums with the same accuracy of our departing drummer. We were about to settle on the best of them when a last-minute auditionee blew us away.

Hired. On the spot.

It didn't matter to us that he was in another band, or that his "day job" was as a performing musician.

Not long after signing him on, poof, he got a better offer and left both bands he was in. Good career move for him; a bit of hardship for two bands with gigs on the books.

Fortunately (!) for us, because of his (un)availability during the short time he was in the band, we had started building a list of subs.

And that's where we are today. Every time we book a show we go down our list of drummers until we find one who is available. (It seems more of the decent drummers would rather be hired guns** than join a band.) The beat goes on.

Would we rather have a permanent drummer? Sure. But at least we're still playing shows.

It's not perfect. Not everyone learns our set list so we are always cueing the drummer. (Not easy on those songs where all 3 of us are on the mic's.) Or accommodating the drummer with set list changes.

So in my experience I would say that you may be disappointed if you limit your search to only "dedicated" drummers (i.e. ones that will only play in your band). If that's the case, try building and using a list of subs. Cut your current guy loose when you can, but don't burn any bridges.

**I have nothing against hired guns. I sub for other bands, too, when I can. In fact, one "band" I sub for is just one guy: the rest of the "band" is subs (and it works).

However, when I schedule a date I don't cancel. If something were to come up I have my own sub so whomever I'm working for doesn't have to sweat it. I agree with others here that your drummer committed a "cardinal sin" by leaving you guys high and dry.

I was just in Ithaca last week

....and you didn't look me up? I'm hurt. Bastard covered bastard. I read that somewhere here.

Ah, the other cats have officially come around to my way of thinking. And there's two drummers in town that I think could cover the parts, and who might be interested. The wheels are in motion. I don't wanna reschedule this gig.

I'd say to wish me luck, but luck ain't got nothin' to do with it.

I was just in Ithaca last week

....and you didn't look me up? I'm hurt. Bastard covered bastard. I read that somewhere here.

We were the odd, touristy looking couple who waved to you downtown. :wave::D

I do not envy your upcoming auditions. Being the auditioner is a lot less fun than being the auditionee. Try not to upchuck. :D

Good luck Paul. Might I suggest you look for someone who also has a day job, so you'll all be on the same page. That'll keep the mercenaries at bay.

Visit my band's new web site.

www.themojoroots.com

...So he's hard to replace.

Really ?

Too hard to attempt ?

Maybe he feels that way, too, & such thinking is what supports his behavior.

Have you just learned who is the actual leader/star figure in your band ?

There are really few unreplacable figures in most biz ventures.

When they do exist it's best to adjust to that either by realizing your dependency or, as you've already suggested, restructuring.

d=halfnote

...(It seems more of the decent drummers would rather be hired guns** than join a band.)

**I have nothing against hired guns. I sub for other bands, too, when I can. In fact, one "band" I sub for is just one guy: the rest of the "band" is subs (and it works). ...

Eric touches on something important here- There are probably some really good guys who can play but don't want the drama that goes with being in a band. Start out by taking on a few subs, you might find one that works out.

Good luck.

"Political language... is designed to make lies sound truthful and murder respectable, and to give an appearance of solidity to pure wind"- George Orwell

Eric touches on something important here- There are probably some really good guys who can play but don't want the drama that goes with being in a band. Start out by taking on a few subs, you might find one that works out.

Good luck.

Only problem is that, in most cases that I've seen, subs end up getting paid more than the rest of the band. That gets expensive and becomes a draw on the other band members. Unless they come in knowing that they'll get an equal cut no matter how crappy it may be...which doesn't always attract the quality subs.

A good drummer can be hard to find and a lot of them play in multiple bands because of the shortage. I think a lot of this is due to the difficulty of having a place (like home) where a drummer can practice without disturbing the neighborhood at all hours.
If you think my playing is bad, you should hear me sing!

Start out by taking on a few subs,

Nope. Pull out that old vinyl copy of Aja you've got in the basement and play the title track....or Limewire it.... No sub will be able to play that. We'd be limited to "Rikki Don't Lose That Number".

Anyway, I've got some feelers for a couple cats I respect as players; real anal-retentive types. And one of them is more interested in the music than the money.

Thanks for the support. What sucks for me is that I saw this coming a long time ago, but since it's not "My Band" (I was asked to participate), I couldn't act on my gut. And I've found that my gut is right far more than it's wrong. But if the project dies a premature death, well,....I'm a better player (and singer!!! Did I mention I sing now????) than I was before, and it was a total hoot to learn these tunes.

Archived