Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Stand like Sherinian

Daddyg3042

One or two Keyboard issues back had a piece on Derek Sherinian. On the last page of that issue he said he and his tech modified an Ultimate A frame so that the boards tilt downward, keys facing the audience.

Happen to have an A frame I haven't broken out in awhile. I'd like to try out this setup and wondered, does anyone know how he secures the boards to the frame? There's two crosspieces on the Ultimate A frame tube that a board sits on, each having a post on one end of them. Level, the post prevents the board from sliding backward, but tilted at that angle, I'd be afraid to have these posts being the only things preventing the board from sliding off.

Appreciate any advice.

"May you stay...forever young."

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
BloodyMary does a poor man's Sherinian by just reversing his board on the second tier of an X stand. I forget which thread it was in.

+1 Since reading that thread I've started doing that with the upper board on my rig. Looks cool as hell!

Instrumentation is meaningless - a song either stands on its own merit, or it requires bells and whistles to cover its lack of adequacy, much less quality. - kanker

No pics, it didn't happen.

Let me take care of this.

http://www.metalist.co.il/Images/Galleries/2009_02_27_DraconianIsrael/Big/A-Desert%20(18).jpg

http://c1.ac-images.myspacecdn.com/images02/43/l_e708b1f74b004b2fba9db391635296c0.jpg

Just to clarify: I started doing this before I even knew who Sherinian was. The first KB player to ever do it was Jens Johannson from Swedish band Stratovarius (also ex. Malmsteen).

Stage: MOX6, V-machine, and Roland AX7

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Home/recording: Roland FP4, a few guitars

Awesome! So how are you securing the keyboard? It looks like there is some sort of U clamp, but I just can't really tell how it's working.

It's a DIY thing. Too bad it's at the rehearsal space, so I cant take a picture of it right now. The second ter bars had this little plastic corners to keep the KB from sliding. Didn't trust those, of course. So I drilled a hole in each bar and stuck a piece of long piece of metal rod, sawn to length and angled. The rod is actually a bolt, one they sell by meters in a DIY store. Put some rubber insulation over it so it won't scratch the KB, and tht's it.

I'll post some pics if I find any. thnks for interest.

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

No pics, it didn't happen.

Let me take care of this.

Just to clarify: I started doing this before I even knew who Sherinian was. The first KB player to ever do it was Jens Johannson from Swedish band Stratovarius (also ex. Malmsteen).

Excellent :thu:

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Thanks, guys.

Any advice? Are you sure? Really? ;)

Sure...why not ;)

Not really trying to emulate anyone, just looking to try out that sort of positioning. With two working bands and lot's of practice time I'm feeling it in my hands and wrists.

I'll flip my X stand around and see how it feels.

Thanks

"May you stay...forever young."

Thanks, guys.

Any advice? Are you sure? Really? ;)

Sure...why not ;)

Not really trying to emulate anyone, just looking to try out that sort of positioning. With two working bands and lot's of practice time I'm feeling it in my hands and wrists.

I'll flip my X stand around and see how it feels.

Thanks

Sven isn't quite fond of keytars and reverse-tilted stand, so I guess the advice would be to give up the weird idea :laugh:

you're lucky you didn't get the :snax: emotion :)

Seriously, wrist pain is the reason I tilted my KB. Later I found out that it also looks cool.

Rolls PM351 for IEMs.

Sven isn't quite fond of keytars and reverse-tilted stand, so I guess the advice would be to give up the weird idea :laugh:

LOL... actually, I don't have a problem with the 'falling away' keyboard setup; my Apex stand has the rear bushing removed (done for use with my A-80 controller), so my rig has a bit of a 'lean' to it, and I find it more comfortable to play.

Of course, it's not the extreme case that Mr. Sherinian has, nor not even as much as your stand, BM... but it still generates feeback from the audience.

(there's also a player on the scene here in Toronto that does 1 board tilted back at a 45-degree angle, and I don't want to be seen as 'copying' his style... ;) )

My actual response was more to the point of "if you have to ask how you should do it, you probably shouldn't do it." It seems to be a pretty common-sense thing to do; go to the hardware store with the tier arms, and get some L- or U-brackets and some fasteners and add them to the tiers. Seems pretty obvious, really... but maybe that's just me.

:snax:

you're lucky you didn't get the :snax: emotion :)

Added it above, just for ya. :thu::wave:

BloodyMary does a poor man's Sherinian by just reversing his board on the second tier of an X stand. I forget which thread it was in.

+1 Since reading that thread I've started doing that with the upper board on my rig. Looks cool as hell!

Same here. Whenever I use one board I do it this way now.

I use a universal fit 2nd tier with a standard X stand in its lowest position. Fits me fine (stand up player). Gives me a great wrist angle as a bonus. I don't secure my keyboard at all; the built in thingies hold it in place.

With 2 boards I use a SpiderPro stand.

Archived