Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Transcribation software?

Nillerbabs

Hey folks,

the other day I was transcribing Michael Brecker's "Talking to Myself". The tune itself was very easy to get down on paper; I have a good ear, and transcribing hasn't really been much of a barrier. The tune, however, has a 1-minute rubato intro (piano + sax). I did make it to the 8th bar, but that's as far as I went - the chords simply got so unpredictable and complex that it was impossible for me to find out what chords were being played.

There has to be a software application that does this. Can you guys recommend any?

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Try using a DAW. Import the audio file and loop the section in question. Then, start messing about with EQ to try and isolate the part - use a graphic plugin to cut/boost frequencies. It's great when you get reissues of old recordings that were originally mono as they often pan a lot of instruments hard right or hard left for stereo (as good as, anyway). Just turning off one of the channels often isolates the instrument you're listening to.

Anyway, the above works for me (makes life easier).

The absolute best thing on the market is Transcribe! Can't recommend it enough. The harmonic spectrum display tells you what notes are being played - the overtones confuse things a bit - I have trouble using it for B3 things - but until there is a program that will automatically and correctly transcribe audio this is as good as it gets.

1) The English term is "transcription", in case you want to Google it.

2) "There has to be a software application that does this." - why?

And no, there isn't, at least not as well as the human ear/brain can do this. As Jamey mentions above, all the software that is out there does is examine the harmonic spectrum and isolate the peaks (fundamentals); it doesn't have a clear way to differentiate between the piano notes and the guitar notes, nor does it necessarily know what is a fundamental and what is a harmonic in more complex tones.

Note, for anyone who's going to cite the recent Melodyne "Direct Note Access" video demos, we're talking about mixed tracks here, not isolated single-instrument tracks. The former is incredibly difficult; the latter, not nearly so difficult.

I just downloaded Transcribe after reading this topic, and so far I'm impressed. For years I've sworn by the Amazing Slow Downer, but the added features in Transcribe seem extremely useful. My only gripe so far is that the interface could really use some keyboard shortcuts for basic things like changing the speed, zooming, toggling the loop function, etc.; having to move and click to change any of those things is a bit of a pain. But it may be one I'm willing to deal with, given everything else the program has got going in its favor.

Download a demo of Melodyne Studio from Celemony, and see if it can handle the piece in question.

technically it can't handle mixed source material, but as the intro to this piece is sparse, it might not get tripped up.

When it comes to recognising polyphonic material in all of its detail, it is more successful with regularly articulated parts, but each version gets more powerful.

You can't save MIDI from the demo version, but trying a few audio manipulation commands, however cheesy or unmusical in the context of this piece, will give you a good idea of how well it transcribed the audio material, and whether the license is worth it to you.

I ordered my copy last night after trying the most recent demo and finding that it surprisingly runs on my G4 iMac that is technically at 70% of it minimum requirements. I expect it to be quite useful in producing transcriptions of some of the jazz music I wrote and recorded over the years, before I used MIDI.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Transcribe all the way. Looked at the video for Capo (certainly looks prettier, more 'Mac-like'), but it seems to be lacking the most obvious thing, something to sound pitches with! Transcribe has the keyboard right in the main window, great for double-checking when you're not by your instrument.

2) "There has to be a software application that does this." - why?

And no, there isn't, at least not as well as the human ear/brain can do this.

The software doesn't "do it", but as a tool it sure can help. One of the more useful features is simply slowing down the music enough to let your brain get a handle on it. Another is easily looping a section to hear it over and over while you absorb it. And of course, the spectral display, which helps but as mentioned above, shows harmonics as well as fundamentals so needs a pretty deep understanding to interpret correctly, or else simply take the spikes as hints and not necessarily notes being played.

Thanks for all the advice. Transcribe is super duper!

I got the 7 bars down on paper. Learjeff, you said it so well - once I got to it, after doing a simple harmonic check in the software, my ears got my 90% of the way.

Thanks guys :)

When in doubt, superimpose pentatonics.

Archived