Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

criticize my technique

SK

In the spirit of someone's recent thread "criticize my playing", and since this IS the place to announce new acquisitions...

First, I got a new toy. It is a keyboard and it's red! (not quite the usual)

So I decided it's time to revisit my technique to see how I can do better. Time, expression, flow, everything is on the table. I confess to not using my left hand on this piece of gear yet. No added effects applied except a touch of reverb.

All opinions valid, even mine, if I get one. Thanks for any input. :)

http://stashbox.org/610314/Jjump.wav

• Replies 23
  • Created
  • Last Reply

All opinions valid, even mine, if I get one. Thanks for any input. :)

Your time is good. You relate to the melody of the song strongly. Your confidence is good. Your technique is good for what you're doing. You have a desire to play and a lot to develop. You're just starting.

:grin:

Linwood, for some reason your video reminded me of the following ...

[video:youtube]

No guitarists were harmed during the making of this message.

In general, harmonic complexity is inversely proportional to the ratio between chording and non-chording instruments.

Funny vids, Dave and Linwood. Mel Blanc, Jack Benny and Albert Brookes - all great.

Thanks to everyone for making the thread entertaining. I considered replying to these posts with just sounds instead of words, but that might get tedious, so...

Smooth.
Smooth? :) Not the first word that comes to mind, but yeah, yeah, it's smooth, thanks. :freak::laugh:

Your time is good. You relate to the melody of the song strongly. Your confidence is good. Your technique is good for what you're doing. You have a desire to play and a lot to develop. You're just starting.
:grin: Haha.

Well, I thought my melodic playing was rather weak there, and my time was non-existent, but my chops were just adequate to the task. I'll get better. :thu: Not as cool as Take Five... it was just one bar of 23/4.

Begs the great question. WTF?
That's the perfect response. And how do you really feel?

Excellent guess, Carlo, but not ring modulators.

Mo' Wurst was onto it. It's a children's toy with a pad keyboard custom designed for me by a talented guy in NY. It lets me short circuit it to create new sounds and loops not usually heard. He's working on another one I may get later, which should be like the Casio from hell.

I won't be using it on its own - it's just something different to improvise over top of, and effects for live and recording use. It has a 1/4" output and an array of switches and knobs. I also recently got Digital Performer, which I can't use until I get my new computer, but I wanted to try out the device anyway.

Linwood's right, hopefully it will be a conversation stopper in a noisy room. I'll try to update later (if I don't get arrested for disturbing the peace.)

To Monk's Dream... :laugh:

You have to admit, it's a departure from what I might expect.
Oh yeah, I admit it and I understand, but it's not exactly a musical departure... the device has a lot of sound possibilities. I was just demoing a few of them as a joke. I doubt I'd use any of those sounds in a piece.

I'm looking for some unidentifiable, non-musical sounds to be used to enhance some music ideas, not used just by themselves. It's actually fun to find new things to work with.

Thanks LearJeff. I wondered what all the fuss was about.

Regarding the tune. I found myself dancing to it, but I doubt I'd buy it... probably give it a 7. I particularly liked the gratuitous reggae refrain at about 00:23

Whenever you find yourself on the side of the majority, it is time to pause and reflect.

-Mark Twain

Looking for new and different sounds....reminds me of back in the sixties, I had some friends in a band, you might remember them too, "Titfield Thunderbolt". They'd play the String Factory. I use to lend one of the guys my alto sax to play. He'd never played one before, but went at it like he was a master. Lot's of energy and then the keyboard player had a combo organ comin' through a Marshall and he played the keyboard with two live lobsters. What a group!

Archived