Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Pedal Power!!

super combinator

I was wondering how you folks power yr pedals and pedal boards, I only have a blues driver that I use on ocassion & was thinking of getting a reverb pedal & that got me thinking about powering these little fellas without buy batteries.

I was looking at the ONE SPOT

http://www.visualsound.net/index.php/products/1spot

And was wondering if anyone here had tried it, also open to other ideas but thought this wud be plenty for current needs & cud take care of other pedals down the road so to speak.

Oh I wud be using this at home

grant

• Replies 14
  • Created
  • Last Reply
I was wondering how you folks power yr pedals and pedal boards, I only have a blues driver that I use on ocassion & was thinking of getting a reverb pedal & that got me thinking about powering these little fellas without buy batteries.

I was looking at the ONE SPOT

And was wondering if anyone here had tried it, also open to other ideas but thought this wud be plenty for current needs & cud take care of other pedals down the road so to speak.

I use the One Spot to power my Barber Tone Press & Boss DC 2. It works, no problems, been on all my gigs in the last few years. I like it just fine.

Scott Fraser

Scott Fraser

i use the one spot, though u shouldnt use it for more than 3-4 pedals. It gets so bad after a few more. Try using it with a power conditioner if possible.

My Gear:

82 Gibson Explorer

Ibanez 03 JEM7VWH

PRS McCarty Soapbar

Diezel Herbert 2007

Peters '11 Brahms Guitar

Byers '01 Classical

Hippner 8-Str Classical

Taylor 614ce

Framus Texan

I also have been using the 1 Spot, daisy-chained to five pedals (occasionally even powering all of them at once!); and I've had it daisy-chained to as many as seven pedals.

These pedals (powered by the 1 Spot) have been hooked-up along with other pedals and devices that run on higher voltages and/or AC, and thus have to use their own power supplies. I have had no problems at all with ground-loops or any other weirdness.

Be VERY sure of the exact, specific power requirements of each and every pedal that you may connect to any such multi-pedal power supply- voltage, current draw (including the total max current draw of all pedals combined), polarity, and be sure that they're DC, and NOT AC. You probably already knew all that, but I'm just being thorough for your sake, and for anyone else's that may read this thread.

lightbulb.gif A good friend of mine with very highfalutin taste in pedals and gear in general (usually favoring boutique and vintage stuff), who had troubles with power, noise, and ground-loop issues, has been extremely happy with the Burkey Flatliner Six, which also happens to be smaller than many such power-supplies, albeit bigger than a VS 1 Spot. He's used it to power pedals with a variety of different voltage requirements (9 volt AND 18 volt) simultaneously.

i use the one spot, though u shouldnt use it for more than 3-4 pedals. It gets so bad after a few more. Try using it with a power conditioner if possible.

Hmmn, just curious- how long ago did you buy yours (or is it possible that it was older stock)? I understand that the 1 Spot has been improved and upgraded several times since its introduction. As always, however, YMMV from mine!

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

I'm on my second One Spot. The first one worked well. However, I didn't have an official pedal "board", so it got a bit manhandled. Not abusive in my eyes; but not as gentle as possible, I guess. Eventually, it got pulled, stripped & temperamental at base; I taped it several times, but at certain angles it would still short out. So for the last 2 years or so I've used the multi-pedal extension from the One Spot with a Danelectro noiseless wall-wart. No problems with that; except now I use 6 pedals instead of 5; so I bought another One Spot. Thought about getting a Voodoo Labs Pedal Power or the BBE one; but went with the cheaper impulse buy when they were out of the VLPP. Haven't had any issues yet.

"Am I enough of a freak to be worth paying to see?"- Separated Out (Marillion)

NEW band Old band

WOW, this lil ole ONESPOT seems pretty popular!!

I was looking at a holy grail reverb pedal, the place selling it didnt realize they didnt have the wall wart for it so I cud probably get it for around half what they are asking for it, but it seems this pedal really sucks power(hence they dont even have a battery option), now I know the ONESPOT has the EHarmonix jack adapter & I cant see myself having more 3-4pedals(hahaha I know what yr all thinking) & probably wud only have a couple on at a time at most, wud the Holy Grail suck too much juice you think?

Fumbles, that Voodoo power supply looks very good!! Maybe if I wake up & look like Keith Richards or some cool blues cat I wud invest in one of those!

thx everyone, Grant

A quick look at the EH Grail makes me think that you'd be OK with the 1 Spot. I understand that it's 9VDC, drawing 500MA of current- am I correct, and is this the same for one for sale in Japan?

The 1 Spot (that I have) is 9VDC with a max current handling capability of 1700MA

Obviously, you can't use a PS if the connectors aren't the same size (and so the adapters are good), but what's ultimately more important than the plug size and shape is the voltage (DC in this case, right?), the MA current-draw of the pedal (and the TOTAL current draw of ALL pedals being connected to the PS), and the polarity.

The Voodoo Labs 'Pedal Power 2 Plus' and the Burkey 'Flatliner Six' are both top-shelf power supplies with features beyond the 1 Spots, but considering your wants and needs, I'd say that you'd most likely be very well served by the smaller, less expensive 1 Spot.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Caevan

The pedal here is the same as NAmerica, the one I was checking was the older one, not the nano version, think if I can talk them down because they dont have the wallwart I will snag this & in the meantime see if I can p/u a onespot here in Jpn, if not snag one on ebay, but I am heading home to Cda soon so may look there!

grant

Archived