Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Anyone open an NE3?

GDP

This weekend while I was playing a wierd thing occured to my Nord Electro 3.

The C#5 key froze in the up position. There was no downward movement at all, all adjacent keys worked fine. I didn't want to put too much pressure so I left it alone.

When I got it home....it worked fine, audio and all... no hint of a problem. However, as I did a chromatic run down the keyboard, very near the bottom, a key or 2 seemed to resist a bit then that cleared up as well. Gentle shaking overhead yielded no obvious loose parts inside.

Do you think it would be advisable to open the keyboard and blow it out with compressed air? Thanks for any help! :cry:

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I had that happen to me once. 4 keys on my FanX7 just got stuck in the up position. I wasn't worried about warranty so I opened it up to find that a toothpick had found its way in there and got stuck underneath those keys. That's why I couldn't hear anything rattle.

I wouldn't worry about openning it up. Just be cautious. I've opened keyboards up many times, and you'd be surprised at how much empty space there is under the hood. And your dealing with a Nord so you know the build quality is high. This means pcb are protected, wiring is carefully routed with nothing loose.

I suspect something like a guitar pick might of slipped through the keys or worse, something inside came loose. Check it out before any damage is done to your board.

Ian Benhamou

Keyboards/Guitar/Vocals

[url:https://www.facebook.com/OfficialTheMusicalBox/]The Musical Box[/url]

I opened my NE3 a week ago, since I had spilled a bit of beer into it on a gig... :eek: Don't drink and overdrive! ;) There was dried sticky beer on the circuit board for the lowest octave keys making a few keys silent - for piano only, not organ sounds! Quite interresting, most probably because organ has the "shallow triggering" which trigggers sound on the first triggered contact. Anyway - disassembling and cleaning the contacts and all was good again. :) I chose to do it myself since I figured it wouldn't be covered by warranty... nor did I have the time or money to send it to repair, at the time.

Now back to your question - as the others are saying - be careful if you decide to fix it yourself - you might void your warranty! Don't open it up if you're not 100% sure on what you're doing!

If you do open it up - it is not that hard to do - you loosen the screws on the wooden side panel, the two screws underneath on both ends one in the middle, also underneath. Then you should be able to lift off the top panel. Don't unscrew any of the smaller screws - those hold the keybed to the bottom panel. When you lift off the top panel - be aware of that there's a couple of cables there that connects the circuit boards and the top panel - so again - be careful! If you then need to disassemble the keyboard from the bottom panel, then you must disconnect three small ribbon cables between the keyboard and the circuit boards - and then remove about 30-40 screws on the bottom of the NE3... so that's a lot of work - and it might be only then you can see what is stuck under the key... Again - I stress that you shouldn't open it up if you don't feel 100% sure - there's always the possibility to send it to the repair shop! Good luck!

Too much stuff, too little time, too few gigs, should spend more time practicing...!  🙄

main instruments: Nord Stage 3 compact, Yamaha CP88, Kurzweil PC4, Viscount KeyB Legend Live

First off...Thank you all for the reasoned and cautious advise!

I opened it up cautiously, being careful to remove only the screws necessary to lift the top. Once the top was laying back-to-back I detached the ribbon cable, thereby completely separating the top from the bottom. I like the fact that it is all metal construction and very well aligned.

There is one screw under the bottom that needed removing as it attaches to a vertical bracket reaching upwards to the top piece. This is easily identified as it is a larger screw than the ones securing the keybed.

At this point I saw no need to remove the key assembly, rather inspected it and blew it out to make sure no loose things were lurking. I guess I could have removed a few plastic keys but decided not to.

After re-assembly the keyboard functions fine. I hope it was just a floating piece of goob that just fell out.....but now all seems well.

Thanks again. :wave:

Archived