Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Larry Knechtel R.I.P.

B3Nut

http://www.yakima-herald.com/stories/2009/08/21/08-22-09-knechtel

So sad to hear of his demise, he was a really tasty and musical player. A true musician's musician, and a legend with a solid resume encompassing a lot of pop/rock history. Safe passage, Larry, and thanks for the music.

---

Todd A. Phipps

"...no, I'm not a Hammondoholic...I can stop anytime..."

http://www.facebook.com/b3nut ** http://www.blueolives.com

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Oh man that sucks. He had a big impact on me. When I heard his piano work on Rockin' Pneumonia it changed the way I wanted to play and that eventually lead me to Memphis Slim and New Orleans piano and now I am the way I am.

"It doesn't have to be difficult to be cool" - Mitch Towne

"A great musician can bring tears to your eyes!!!

So can a auto Mechanic." - Stokes Hunt

!!! Wow, damn! What an ubiquitous name on GOOD records in '70s and elswhere. 69 is too young, but it's also a good run and reminds you that the earth just tosses us and our times off with dispatch...well, reminds ME of that, at least.

RIP, Larry. I am surprised James Taylor didn't feature prominently on the story's list of artists he'd played with. I could have sworn he did a lot of work with JT during the height of the latter's popularity.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Magpel...Yeah, At the peak of JT's popularity, it wasn't Larry Knechtel playing keyboards. Larry was very busy working with his group Bread at the time. Not to mention his very active studio session work. As to the often over-looked and under-appreciated Clarence McDonald....now that's someone who Keyboard ought to look up for an in-depth interview. He deserves it.

So sad to hear of his demise, he was a really tasty and musical player. A true musician's musician, and a legend with a solid resume encompassing a lot of pop/rock history. Safe passage, Larry, and thanks for the music.

+1 :(

BTW, Todd, every time I hear "Bridge Over Troubled Water," my mind goes racing back to riding in the car over snow covered hills from Verona to Madison, as my dad drove me to my piano lesson in the winter of 1970.

(We went to Mount Horeb occasionally too. ;) )

Best,

Geoff

My Blue Someday appears on Apple Music | Spotify | YouTube | Amazon

Magpel...Yeah, At the peak of JT's popularity, it wasn't Larry Knechtel playing keyboards. Larry was very busy working with his group Bread at the time. Not to mention his very active studio session work. As to the often over-looked and under-appreciated Clarence McDonald....now that's someone who Keyboard ought to look up for an in-depth interview. He deserves it.

Correct you are! He does not appear to be on any JT. not sure where whence my confusion. Maybe I was crossing Waddy wachtel with Larry.

Anyway, I overviewed Larry's discography while confirming the absence of any JT credits and--whoa--quite a resume.

Check out the Sweet Clementines CD at bandcamp

Oh man that sucks. He had a big impact on me. When I heard his piano work on Rockin' Pneumonia it changed the way I wanted to play and that eventually lead me to Memphis Slim and New Orleans piano and now I am the way I am.

Oh man that is him????? I clicked this thread, knowing there was probably more to him than Bread and Bridge Over Troubled Water- only stuff really mentioned in today's obit. Learned that for a gig 7 years ago and played it on that gig for 5 years. Great song and fantastic piano playing. I had never actually heard it till 2002, too young to remember it and I don't listen to oldies stations.

John

Archived