Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

New Wechter "Nashville Tuning" guits; Johnny Hiland demo vid

Caevan O’Shite

Cool guitars, flat-top acoustics specially braced and set-up (with a Plek!) for "Nashville Tuning" from the guit-go, and priced much more reasonably than I would've expected, too! :cool:

On either of the 'pages that the following links go to, there's a link to a cool little vid of Johnny Hiland trying out the Nashville Special Elite Cutaway; sounds great!

(image only- not a video or link)

http://67.18.247.83/videos/wechter/nashville-johnny-hiland/wechter_nashville_thumb.jpg

Wechter Nashville Special Elite $449.97

The Cutaway version also sports a pickup and electronics:

Wechter Nashville Special Elite Cutaway $599.97

I bet these will occasionally turn up used on e-Bay and Craig's List for really nice prices in the near future, as well! :thu::cool:

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

• Replies 8
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Ow! GAS pains! Terrible GAS Pains!

What a cool little guitar, huh? :thu:

Y'know, I was thinkin' you'd particularly dig this when I posted that, 'Jeebs...

It is a niiiice price, and it'll only be a matter of time before some pre-enjoyed specimens of these wind up on Craig's and the 'Bay...

Yes and it also got me to thinking about a surprisingly chimey and nice sounding Yamaha acoustic we have laying about here as a second acoustic, and whether it would make more sense to have it set up as a dedicated Nashville tuning guitar, or to keep lusting after one of those Wechters.

Last time I checked, those plek set ups (that the Wexchter has, and which I'd love to have on the Yamaha) weren't particularly cheep!

Just a pinch between the geek and chum

http://redstarguitar.com/images/GA101GlenBurton_front_tobaccoburst_re.jpg

That's my guitar, unfortunately it is not a hybrid acoustic and doesn't feature a cutaway. Although I play electric, next time I get an acoustic I will look at the Wechter. I really like it a lot.

Stick it to the man.

http://profile.ultimate-guitar.com/anderseb/

(Muh homepage of greatness)

Although I play electric, next time I get an acoustic I will look at the Wechter. I really like it a lot.

The thing about this particular Wechter model is that it's made specifically for the 3rd through 6th strings to be tuned up an octave, using very light-gauge strings (much like the "extra" octave-strings on a 12-string). Then the 2nd and 1st strings- the "B" and "High-E", respectively, are "normal".

This makes chord voicings that are played the usual way sound very different- the same basic notes, but most are up an octave- and the order of which voices are the highest notes in a chord is re-arranged. And it will sit in a mix in a recording differently. You've probably heard this tuning more often than you knew it- we all have.

You can string-up and tune most any guitar this way- it's called "Nashville Tuning"- but some acoustic guitars might not sound as good as they usually do, due to the internal bracing being heavy enough for "normal" strings and tuning, but too heavy for these lighter, higher strings to really drive the top.

A similar, simpler alternative is to replace only the 3rd/"G"-string with a lighter, higher octave string; it will then ring out as the highest note in most chords, giving some of the 12-string and "Nashville" effect.

Thanks for posting this Caveman. I was unaware of this facet of the 'nashville sound'.

I would love to get one of these. Maybe someday when I am stateside--which hopefully won't be too long.

By the way Hiland is a complete sicko. Makes me inspired to practice. Excellent hybrid picking, but I can only imagine how fun it would be to play in that tuning.

Thanks for posting this Caveman. I was unaware of this facet of the 'nashville sound'.

I would love to get one of these. Maybe someday when I am stateside--which hopefully won't be too long.

By the way Hiland is a complete sicko. Makes me inspired to practice. Excellent hybrid picking, but I can only imagine how fun it would be to play in that tuning.

Hey, Be-Ruce! How's Taipei these days? Any market for you to gig in a Django-esque trio or quartet?

You might try stringing-up that Big Baby of yours with the octave-strings from a medium or heavy 12-string set, or the equivalent singles... I bet it'd sound good for that.

Hey, Be-Ruce! How's Taipei these days? Any market for you to gig in a Django-esque trio or quartet?

You might try stringing-up that Big Baby of yours with the octave-strings from a medium or heavy 12-string set, or the equivalent singles... I bet it'd sound good for that.

I would be a bit scared it would mess up my neck alignment and intonation. I want to try that tuning though. Seems like you can get some cool sounds from normal licks.

Well, so far I haven't found anyone to jam with regularly. My buddy from Ireland jams with me about 1 a month but he has 2 kids--which means he has no time..

Archived