Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

valves ("tubes") for Marshall JMP 2x12 combo

trevor machine

Hi all - first time poster, long term lurker.

Can anyone help me with suggestions for new valves/tubes for a Marshall JMP 2x12 (I'm pretty sure it's a 2104). I've had this amp for 20 years or more, gigged it in 4 countries and still use it for recording. But it's had a valve rattle for the last 10 years so needs a service. However, I'd also like to make it a little uh "ganier" if I can. I don't need clean. No use for it with my tastes. Filth is where I am. Crunch I like too. I like it when those dampened chords really dig in and bite. If I can fit a type of tube that will help bring those kinds of tones and dynamics out I will.

One problem - I'm clueless. So any help appreciated.

Thanks in advance all.

• Replies 3
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Welcome to the GPF, trevor machine!

Short answer- go to Doug's Tubes.

Myles Rose recommended Doug to me; I've been very, VERY happy with his service and products, and I will continue to go to him most often.

Explain to Doug what your amp is, and exactly what you want the amp to sound and feel like, and describe the control-settings that you currently use, what tubes are already in it (as best you can), and what you'd like to change. (It might not hurt to describe your guitar, as well- bright or dark, humbuckers, single-coils, hot or vintage/low-output, etc.) Ask him what he recommends; he will likely suggest specific tubes tested for particular values for each specific socket in your amp, probably several different types, etc. Take note of which socket should get what tube, and of the numbers that he'll have written on the box for each tube, too. That way, if you're happy with the results- and you probably will be- you can most easily repeat the same with another fresh set of replacement-tubes and/or spares, as needed over time.

DEFINITELY go with a tube that is "tested for balance" (aka a "Matched Phase Inverter", or MPI) for the phase-inverter tube (the little "preamp" tube that is closest to the big "output"/"power" tubes). He'll probably also recommend one that's been tested for high-gain, as well.

Once you get your tubes, it'd be best to have a qualified pro tech set the bias for the output-tubes, and then keep a note handy of the bias-settings for those tubes.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

He helped me get an old Laney head to sound "just right" and rejuvenated for my friend who owns it. Three very specific "preamp" tubes- one each for the V1, V2 and "phase-inverter" sockets- also with specific test-parameters that he looked for- were key in getting the amp the way my friend wanted.

Ask yourself- What Would Ren and Stimpy Do?

~ Caevan James-Michael Miller-O'Shite ~

_ ___ _ Leprechaun, Esquire _ ___ _

Archived