Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

almost OT: Power needed for the band? Can you run out?

Ross Brown

Thanks. I don't know much 'bout no 'lectrcity... that is true.

The first attempt came from the barn. Nothing else is on those circuits, best I can tell. I was right at the breaker box. That is 200 feet from the stage, more or less. That arrangement has worked well in the past so I mistakenly thought it would be fine.

The second attempt was from the house. I also believe (but could be wrong) an isolated circuit in the garage. About 100 feet from the house.

"When I take a stroll down Jackass Lane it is usually to see someone that is already there" Mrs. Brown

• Replies 34
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The equipment we had trouble with were the digital processors. Digital distortion sounds horrendous. Not like anything you've ever heard. We had Feedback destroyer, Alesis Reverb and a graphic equaliser. If you don't have that sort of equipment you probably wouldn't be too affected by dip in power.

They may have had a compressor/digital effects unit on the vocals.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Do you guys have 3.5kW hair dryers and coffee pots over there?

Hair dryers seem to go up to about 2000 watts. My wife's is 1875 watts. I only use a hair dryer to defog the mirror so I can shave my head.

The commercial 60 cup coffee makers seem to be 1000 watts and most caterers are using two of them...one for regular and one for decaf.

You may have been running lines from two seperate 20 amp circuits, but what else was on those circuits? A major appliance can draw a lot of current. And Jeremy's right...a coffee pot can draw a lot of current. Even a hair dryer can. That's why some power recepticles (notably in bathrooms) actually have a trip switch because of those extremes in amperage.

I'm not sure that's entirely correct. Do you guys have 3.5kW hair dryers and coffee pots over there?

The startup cycles of those appliances draw much more current than when they've actually been running for a little while.

Obligatory Social Media Link

"My concern is, and I have to, uh, check with my accountant, that this might bump me into a higher, uh, tax..."

We're going a bit off topic...

The elements on water heaters break down pretty quickly and allow enough current into the water and to the metal casing to trip a GFCI. However the element will die completely before it becomes dangerous.

MCBs typically will withsatnd between 3x to 5x rated current for very short periods. So if you are tripping breakers get a new appliance, something is starting to go wrong.

Feel the groove internally within your own creativity. - fingertalkin

Archived