Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

George Strait-"Twang"

Steve Nathan

For anyone interested, George Strait's 3rd record to be recorded at Shrimpboat in Key West came out last week. The first 2 both won CMA Album of the year so we're hopeful for a threepeat.

For the keyboard inclined, I recommend checking out John Jarvis's piano on "Hot Grease and Zydeco", and "that other guy's" B3 solo on "Same Kind of Crazy" (though I'm prouder of the simplicity of the piano fills on "Beautiful Day for Goodbye"). Also, while not "keyboard" intensive, the track "El Rey" is a favorite. Hard to believe a bunch of old white guys from Nashville pulled Mariachi off so convincingly.

• Replies 31
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Is "same kind of crazy" the delbert mcclinton tune?

It is indeed the Delbert/Gary Nicholson tune, and it put a huge smile on Delbert's face when he first heard George's take.

It is indeed the Delbert/Gary Nicholson tune, and it put a huge smile on Delbert's face when he first heard George's take.

Not as big a smile as Delbert will have when he gets his first writers royalty check from the album sales!!!

Not as big a smile as Delbert will have when he gets his first writers royalty check

Yeah, especially if it's a single. Personally, I think it's been too long since Country radio played a song with an organ solo. :D

Steve Nathan said: Personally, I think it's been too long since Country radio played a song with an organ solo.

Not a lot of organ solos on country music...but you sure hear a lot of good B3 just hanging out in the background on about 90% of the country hits. Five years ago you heard almost no B3...it was all piano if there were any keyboards at all.

OK, you've convinced me. I'm downloading the album from iTunes tonight.

My bass player knows Delbert from long ago. I wouldn't be surprised if we play "Same Kind of Crazy" this weekend.

Really looking forward to hearing the album. I can't hear the offerings presented in this thread. YouTube is blocked at work.

"In the beginning, Adam had the blues, 'cause he was lonesome.

So God helped him and created woman.

Now everybody's got the blues."

Willie Dixon

El Rey is awesome... The timing/feel changes seem really natural and effortless. Really great.

I love the vocal harmonizing

I'm just saying', everyone that confuses correlation with causation eventually ends up dead.

As reported in this mornings @MusicRow sales analysis article, George Straits new release is the top selling album in the U.S. this week. Twang debuted at No. 1 today on The Billboard 200 and the Top Country Albums chart selling over 155,000 units. This is the fourth time in Straits career that a new release has debuted at No. 1 on the Billboard 200 chart and the 13th time debuting at No. 1 on the Top Country Albums chart.

Is that you on organ?

On the three cuts I've posted links to, two are me on organ (plus minimalist fake accordion on El Rey) & John's on piano.

Not a lot of organ solos on country music...but you sure hear a lot of good B3 just hanging out in the background on about 90% of the country hits. Five years ago you heard almost no B3...it was all piano if there were any keyboards at all.

I tend to get credit or blame for bringing B3 into Contemporary Country music (depending on your perspective I guess). It's been a little longer than 5 years I think, but when I first moved here they called B3s "Steel Killers". Lucky for me, folks like Tony Brown and Vince Gill let me put a little organ out front on some records that hit big. :)

I was listening to the album on the way to work this morning. Very Nice. One of my favorites so far is "Where Have I Been all My Life", Although "Same Kind Of Crazy" is very cool.

In listening to this, I caught a lot of the licks that I use when playing country. Guess that shows that either Steve is a direct influence, or we share influences. Probably a bit of both.

Nice work, Mr. Nathan.

Willie Dixon

All My Ex's Live In Texas? OK you've got to have heard this one at least. Although George Strait probably wouldn't want to hang his hat on it today.

Funny how the worst songs they did get associated with artists sometimes.

I don't think I could name a George Strait tune if a gun was pointed at my head. eek

I don't expect this record will turn anyone who's not already a fan suddenly into a Country music lover. The title track for example is the kind only a true Country nut would love. But the three I pointed to are all "outside the box" and I thought they might tickle some of our greasier brethren.

I love great piano playing.

And I love great organ playing.

But I really love great piano playing and organ playing together (like on Hot Grease and Zydeco).

Nice! Even for this non-fan of country music.

Noah

P.S. Those lyrics, though? Ugh.

P.S. Those lyrics, though? Ugh.

Well, lyrics are a subjective thing that's for sure, and in this case I'd have to refer back to George Jackson (a great songwriter) who once said that in Country it matters what the words mean, but in Pop it matters how the words sound. Since "Hot Grease and Zydeco" is not your typical Country song, I'd say it meets the latter test.

How ever, perhaps you'd like the song better with it's alternate title. I'll have to tell a story to explain.

With every GS record we have a tradition. On the last day of tracks, we all gather for a "Listening/Martini" party. In Key West, Jimmy Buffet arranges for a couple of attractive young bartenders to come down from Margaritaville to mix martinis (and other treats) for the musicians, engineers, George, Tony and anyone else who may be hanging out. Basically we listen to the tracks from top to bottom....and drink! Once we've heard everything, we fill up and start again. Over and over into the wee hours. During the last party, about the 5th or 6th time through, one of the bartenders was overheard telling the other...

"I really like that song..........Hot Grease and Diet Coke" :D

BTW,

Correction: On "Same Kind of Crazy" John is playing my Wurlitzer (not AC Piano).

I don't think I could name a George Strait tune if a gun was pointed at my head. eek

I don't expect this record will turn anyone who's not already a fan suddenly into a Country music lover. The title track for example is the kind only a true Country nut would love. But the three I pointed to are all "outside the box" and I thought they might tickle some of our greasier brethren.

My tastes in music have mellowed & expanded quite a bit over the years, so who knows. Didn't think I'd like Joshua Judges Ruth, but I do, most of it anyway.

What we record in life, echoes in eternity.

MOXF8, Electro 6D, XK1c, Motif XSr, PEKPER, Voyager, Univox MiniKorg.

https://www.abandoned-film.com

Friday night before the gig, I connected my iPod to the PA and played the album. The guys in my band had never heard it, and really loved it. The best part was that my wife was there. When "The Breath You Take" came on, she and I started dancing. Then she started listening to the lyrics, and completely teared up. She said it was one of the most beautiful songs she'd ever heard.

I played it in the truck yesterday, and she was able to listen even more closely to the lyrics. She's been saying the lyrical hook in the song for years, and hearing it in this song really got to her.

Nice work to all that played on this magnificent example of Country's best.

Willie Dixon

Archived