Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Netbooks: I just took the plunge!

zukskywalker

Well here goes. I spotted one of these puppies on sale for a steal and snatched up an Acer Aspire One running XP and will be putting it to the test as a small form platform for my music apps. First test will be to see how it handles Ableton Live. There are plenty of netbook references in terms of music applications and the consensus seems to be that these little netbooks are indeed quite capable.

Wish me luck, and I'll also take any good advice I can get.

• Replies 12
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Luck!

Maybe something here will be helpful...

http://acapella.harmony-central.com/showthread.php?t=2366676

&

The thing that appeals to me about netbooks is that you can afford two for redundancy. I'm aware of inexpensive laptops, but when you double the cost for two, then "It's only $150 more" becomes "it's only $300 more" - and also, the netbook size is attractive for an onstage setup, where you really don't the computer to have a high profile (well, at least I don't).

d=halfnote

Enjoy the new netbook! I am typing this entry on my Asus 1000He (XP, 2GB RAM, 160GB disk). Well priced, compact and lightweight. I carried it through Italy for 3 weeks this summer.

Yamaha P2 acoustic, Yamaha P120 digital, Nord Electro 3HP, QSC K10.

FOR SALE: Nord Electro 2-61.

Good luck! I know that the developer of SAWStudio and Software Audio Console uses one to run his shows in Las Vegas, with something like 48 channels going at once.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Good luck! I know that the developer of SAWStudio and Software Audio Console uses one to run his shows in Las Vegas, with something like 48 channels going at once.

Wow :shocked:

Yes, good luck, and please report back about your performance, or rather... your netbook's...

Do you have Garritan Steinway basic by chance?

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Wow :shocked:

Yes, good luck, and please report back about your performance, or rather... your netbook's...

to brag

Do you have Garritan Steinway basic by chance?

First off, thanks for the good wishes and the link. Secondly, Garritan Steinway in a netbook is probably a BIG stretch but I won't write it off yet. In less than a day I've found dual and triple boots for this thing that include an OSX boot and Linux, a touch screen mod, several optimizing tricks, memory upgrades, an HD video upgrade, overclocks, and a few user groups discussing everything about netbooks. The support is out there already so this should be interestng. And, no I don't have Garritan but I'm willing to give it a go if someone would send it to me;)

(PS: I just went over to the Garritan site and saw the Steinway Basic and with a few tricks it just might work. Now THAT would be something to brag about!)

I think the prices are really appealing on Net Books. In the past several years, there have been products I was interested in but would not buy because they had no external storage device interface on board. Example, the Boss DR-880 drum machine, no independent storage device, but it DOES have a USB port to connect to a PC. Also, my new Digitech Vocalist Live Pro has a USB port which I have used to backup the User Programs I edited and located in sequential order in a section of the Harmonizer so I don't have to skip around looking for different patches while I'm playing a gig. I use my home mintower computer as a storage device for all my data, as well as backing that computer up to my computer at work. Needless to say, I've never lost any data. ;)

Previously, even a laptop computer was just out of my meager financial reach to have on-hand for restoring my data on a gig if one of my instruments gets wiped out. I don't need a whole lot of processing power in order to use a Netbook for backing up my musical data. I could also use it with my Motif ES8 that I currently use USB flash drives for that purpose. I could still back up to flash drives for redundancy but having a portable computer that has everything I need to do a gig would be cool.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

"I think the prices are really appealing on Net Books. "

I don't. I looked at a couple of the local/national box shops, and a Netbook is between $100 and $200 cheaper than a 'real' notebook. But the notebook brings a LOT more to the table... far more than a simple $100 or $200 worth of upgrades.

And for anyone considering running audio on a Netbook, consider screen size for a moment (not to mention on a dark stage in less than optimal viewing and operating conditions...) I don't know about anyone else, but I use three 19" screens to tun my audio computer, two when I'm using a notebook. A netbook would be really tough for me.

I can see where people who can make it if their specific needs would find the size to be attractive, but I'd have trouble using one for anything that required a lot of interaction, key clicks, and checking the screen; beyond simple email/forum functions. Just my opinion.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Hey Bill, what you are doing with your computer is different than what I mentioned I would do if I had a Netbook. The Netbook would be a portable repository for my data. I have no illusions of running anything on a Netbook other than what I mentioned in my last post. It would just be a backup device. I have no intentions of buying anything at this point. I don't play all that often and I'm enjoying putting what $$ I do make in my pocket.

Mike T.

Yamaha Motif ES8, Alesis Ion, Prophet 5 Rev 3.2, 1979 Rhodes Mark 1 Suitcase 73 Piano, Arp Odyssey Md III, Roland R-70 Drum Machine, Digitech Vocalist Live Pro. Roland Boss Chorus Ensemble CE-1.

"I think the prices are really appealing on Net Books. "

I don't. I looked at a couple of the local/national box shops, and a Netbook is between $100 and $200 cheaper than a 'real' notebook. But the notebook brings a LOT more to the table... far more than a simple $100 or $200 worth of upgrades.

And for anyone considering running audio on a Netbook, consider screen size for a moment (not to mention on a dark stage in less than optimal viewing and operating conditions...) I don't know about anyone else, but I use three 19" screens to tun my audio computer, two when I'm using a notebook. A netbook would be really tough for me.

I can see where people who can make it if their specific needs would find the size to be attractive, but I'd have trouble using one for anything that required a lot of interaction, key clicks, and checking the screen; beyond simple email/forum functions. Just my opinion.

You have a good point. I am out of it for knowing what to look for in notebook/laptop computers these days, and what to avoid in the cheapest ones. I remember a few years ago everyone was promoting the intel core 2 and core 2 duo instead of the previous generation of processors that folks said tended to run too hot.

I just bought a USB 2 interface so firewire is not important. I just want something solid that is quiet and will run Garritan Steinway Standard and NI Komplete without a hitch. Recommendations anyone?

As always tia,

Day

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Archived