Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

FXpansion's DCAM: Synth Squad Released

Geoff Grace

• Replies 5
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It took awhile for this to launch (first announced DEC 2008 as I recall).

I'm kind of upset they're putting this out, because I don't like it when a company dilutes their original vision -- it almost always leads ultimately to unfocused, mediocre products.

But fxpansion did synths before drums, so in their case it may not affect their vision.

I just see too many companies trying to be all things to all people, when what made them unique often gets lost in the picture and thus diminishes their value.

As for this specific product, it's going to be a tough sell on the heels of Waldorf Largo and Camel Audio Alchemy, but if it's a really good product, it will find its place.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

It took awhile for this to launch (first announced DEC 2008 as I recall).

I'm kind of upset they're putting this out, because I don't like it when a company dilutes their original vision -- it almost always leads ultimately to unfocused, mediocre products.

But fxpansion did synths before drums, so in their case it may not affect their vision.

I just see too many companies trying to be all things to all people, when what made them unique often gets lost in the picture and thus diminishes their value.

As for this specific product, it's going to be a tough sell on the heels of Waldorf Largo and Camel Audio Alchemy, but if it's a really good product, it will find its place.

There is a limited market of those interested in soft synths, but... everybody wants a great drum program.

Looking forward to hearing what it can do...

"It is a danger to create something and risk rejection. It is a greater danger to create nothing and allow mediocrity to rule."

"You owe it to us all to get on with what you're good at." W.H. Auden

Just listened to all the audio demos.

It has that contemporary lo-fi sound that everyone is going for these days.

These remind me a bit of the Rob Papen synths. Very good at what they do, and no obvious aliasing, but more oriented towards current musical trends.

The demos do seem to prove their point about these synths not breaking up when pushed to extreme settings, and that may end up being their biggest selling point.

I didn't find the demos at all unpleasant to listen to; the audio quality, even under MP3 compression, seems stellar. I'm just not into low-bandwidth sounds, even in synth work. But I'm primarily focused on acoustic stuff at the moment, anyway, and really like wide-open sounds that breathe.

These four synths are not created equally though: I sense the FM and effects synths are capable of going way beyond where the demos lead, as is often the case with more advanced synth engines.

Eugenio Upright, 60th Anniversary P-Bass, USA Geddy Lee J-Bass, Yamaha BBP35, D'angelico SS Bari, EXL1,

Select Strat, 70th Anniversary Esquire, LP 57, Eastman T486, T64, Ibanez PM2, Hammond XK4, Moog Voyager

Archived