Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

Hartke 3500 w/4.5 cab

jcadmus

• Replies 15
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Give them to me, not to jeremy c :rolleyes:

sorry for my english i'm a french Canadien

fender 65 Twin Reverb reissue

Fender Stratocaster 1999 MIA

Fender Stratocaster 2013 MIA

Godin Artisan ST-5

Godin LG Signature

Seagull S6

Yes I love Godin guitar

Uh, thanks for the, uh, input.

Yeah, the head is pretty feature rich -- tube and solid state preamps, graphic equalizer, compressor, etc. Seems a bit underpowered to me (350 watts at 4 ohms, 240 at 8), but NBD.

I'm actually more interested in the cab, personally -- rated at 400 watts and goes down to 30Hz. Looks pretty potent, and I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experience with it.

Ultimately, I suspect I probably will re-gift them -- either to my church or some deserving person who really needs the gear. I have pretty much everything I need right now, and I'm pretty spoiled on my Eden stuff.

"Tours widely in the southwestern tip of Kentucky"

That combination was my main rig for many years. It sounds good and solid and is reliable. A drummer once spilled a beer into the 3500 while we were setting up. With the help of the restroom hand dryer, we dried it out and I never had a problem with it. I used it for several more years in fact. It's not a tone monster but it works well and sometimes thats all that you need.

pray peace, all love and unity

"There are only two kinds of music; good and bad."

~Duke Ellington~

I have the 3500 head as part of the 1155 combo, which originally had a 15 and a 5. I got the combo for cheap ($70) because the speakers had been removed, and Hartke will not sell replacements unless you have a blown one to turn in. I plugged the 5" hole, bought a "full-range" paper 15" and re-tuned the box. Sounds pretty good, but could still use something to augment the high freq response.

Incidentally, it does not have a tube. The tube knob is a "tube-emulation". But still pretty decent.

Dan

Acoustic/Electric stringed instruments ranging from 4 to 230 strings, hammered, picked, fingered, slapped, and plucked. Analog and Digital Electronic instruments, reeds, and throat/mouth.

I'm actually more interested in the cab, personally *snip* and goes down to 30Hz. Looks pretty potent, and I'd be curious to hear if anyone has experience with it.

Those are crap specs...as are most of the specs given on bass gear. I'll eat my shoe insole if it reproduces 30Hz at any useable volume.

That said, I can be there in a couple hours AND I'll buy you dinner. ;)

Well box specs are what they are -- no idea how accurate they are, or not.

And how would I know anyway. "Yeah, by my calculations it's only achieving 31 Hz..."

Best test I have is my ears -- we'll see how cool it sounds.

And I can A/B it against my Eden D210XST, which is nominally rated at 30 Hz too.

Davio, if your in the neighborhood, drop by.

Well box specs are what they are -- no idea how accurate they are, or not.

And how would I know anyway. "Yeah, by my calculations it's only achieving 31 Hz..."

Best test I have is my ears -- we'll see how cool it sounds.

There are tools for measuring that. If you really wanted to, you could research it some and you'd realize that it's almost impossible to find a commercially available bass cab that will go that low at performance volumes without significant dropoff. Most music companies that make non instrument-specific cabs (PAs, etc.) will have much more accurate numbers and you'll see that getting that kind of response is neither cheap nor easy...well not for large companies due to production costs.

And I can A/B it against my Eden D210XST, which is nominally rated at 30 Hz too.

Again, the Eden rating isn't much better as far as numbers go...but it will give you a good idea of how the new cab stacks up.

Davio, if your in the neighborhood, drop by.

I'd love to but I think it's still a couple hour drive and I'd be using a Zipcar which charges by the hour. Maybe if you offer to host a G2G! ;)

Incidentally, it does not have a tube. The tube knob is a "tube-emulation". But still pretty decent.
Actually the HA3500 does have a single 12ax7 tube for a pre. It provides a slightly warmer (yet not quite as loud, to my ears) sound than the solid state pre. You can mix and match to taste. (The manual suggests not maxing both pres simultaneously, though.)

It has been plenty loud enough with an 8 ohm load (240 W through a 4x10) at small venues and even an outdoor street festival, which was literally on the asphalt. That with a rock band with two guitars (each pushing 100 W through 2x12 cabs).

It was loud enough with a 4 ohm load (350 W through two 4x10s) to be heard next to a 100 W Marshall full stack, a 100 W Mesa Boogie full stack, and a drummer who was crying. ;) (And yes that was ridiculously loud for the space we were in.)

The DI out (w/optional ground lift) works fine with FOH. The EQ/contour works fine (and DI can be pre/post EQ). The compression, however, goes from zero to squash pretty quickly. Leave it off or use it sparingly. Haven't tried the FX loop.

I haven't tried the 4.5XL; I have the 410TP which specs out down to 40 Hz. I did try the 3500 through a 4x12 Mesa cab before, and to my ears the Mesa did have a fuller, rounder bottom sound than my 410TP. But at 65 pounds the 410TP is one of the lighter pre-neo 4x10s. (The 4.5XL weighs in at 99 pounds.) The XL line was Hartke's top-of-the-line before the HyDrives came out.

You could do better; you could do worse.

Since you're happy with your current rig and this one fell in your lap for free, I think that's a great idea to regift it to someone in need. Obviously if it goes to a registered non-profit (like a house of worship) you can get a tax rightoff for your troubles. If that doesn't pan out, another option is to approach a "school of rock" and gift it to a promising student.

Yeah, or I could hang onto it as a backup/supplemental rig. But that seems kind of piggy.

Believe it or not, I don't like having more stuff than I really need. I have two basses -- my '78 Jazz and my Pedulla five-string, which are plenty for what I do. I don't really like having more because they'd just lay around.

And I have my Eden WT550 amp, and three Eden cabs to mix and match. So pretty much everything I need.

So, I'm leaning toward the re-gift option -- most likely finding a kid with promise who really could use a decent rig. I know a couple.

On the other hand, I might plug it all in and find out it's all blown to smithereens -- in which case I have a pile of junk.

The amp was missing the power cable when it I got it, so I ordered one from Zzounds -- should have it tomorrow, and then we'll see.

Archived