Please note: You can easily log in to MPN using your Facebook account!

OT: Decorating / My Record Albums

raddtunes

I just picked up my box of albums from my childhood/youth and want to decorate my pad and studio with them.

It's basically the top 30-40 albums that shaped me. I got inspired by some talk in another thread about the art on record albums - - when looking at my records then, I thought I'd like to hang these on my wall.

Have any of you done anything like this? Any ideas for frames ( i can spend some money, but can't spend 50 dollars/frame on 40 albums.)

Any ideas?

• Replies 16
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Any ideas for frames ( i can spend some money, but can't spend 50 dollars/frame on 40 albums.)

I've always wanted to do this as well, but the framing cost is precisely the reason I never have. Frankly, $50 per frame would be a bargain (at least in my area). The cost of framing is truly unbelievable.

Noah

P.S. Radd: Let me know if you're able to figure something out. Maybe there's a pre-made frame that is sized for LPs?

I've seen ready made album frames online somewhere (can't remember the site) for around $8-12 each. No need to custom frame record albums. Just do a google search under record album frames!!
Yamaha C7 Grand, My Hammonds: '57 B3, '54 C2, '42 BC, '40 D, '05 XK3 Pro System, Kawai MP9000, Fender Rhodes Mk I 73, Yamaha CP33, Motif ES6, Nord Electro 2, Minimoog Voyager & Model D, Korg MS10

Well - this will totally shock you guys. Following mesenhower's advice (thank you) - - I found a swath of sources - - starting out with drum roll: "albumframes.com".

And of course - - the virtual big brother (goole ads on the side of the forum here) - has popped up three sources as well.

I haven't even started to peruse, but on albumframes.com there is once frame for 12.95. I'm going to check out more options, of course, but I think i'm on my way.

My wife gave me four of those album frames for Christmas.

I haven't chosen which albums I'm going to put in the frames yet.

I don't know about you guys, but even though I KNOW I'll never play vinyl again, and still have my turntable wrapped in plastic and sitting in the basement, I cannot throw away my albums.

I have a real hard time throwing out my Keyboard Magazines too.

Hi. My name is Tom and I'm a HOPELESS PACK-RAT. :rolleyes:

(Hmmmm.... I wonder how much can get for an old drum machine? Oh... oh - and an Alesis Data DISK?)

http://www.geocities.com/housedekris/datadisksq.jpg

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

(Hmmmm.... I wonder how much can get for an old drum machine? Oh... oh - and an Alesis Data DISK?)

The funniest thing is, if you put it on eBay, there is someone out there who absolutely needs it. Probably just as a spare. :laugh:

Radd, good luck decorating with the albums. I think mine are still out in the garage. :cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

Hi. My name is Tom and I'm a HOPELESS PACK-RAT.

Compulsive hoarding has taken over their lives. Will they be able to get help before it's too late?

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

"I'm so crazy, I don't know this is impossible! Hoo hoo!" - Daffy Duck

"The good news is that once you start piano you never have to worry about getting laid again. More time to practice!" - MOI

Wish I had thought of that.

I used to go into NYC and buy tons of old record albums. I lived in an isolated house in the country, and when I moved in I found a rifle that had been left there.

So any records I really didn't like, and there were always several, I'd take into the woods for target practice. (I'm not a gun guy, but in my 20's I was a little less than responsible.) I wiped out a lot of them: one Trudy Pitts organ album and a Johnny Hammond Smith record I remember got totally obliterated.

Hi. My name is Tom and I'm a HOPELESS PACK-RAT.

Compulsive hoarding has taken over their lives. Will they be able to get help before it's too late?

http://www.aetv.com/hoarders/

Joe - I saw those teasers (didn't watch the shows though) on TV. And it made me think. :rolleyes:

Now I'm not QUITE that bad. It just seems that if I ever sell something, I miss it.

But when I start running out of room, well... it's time to do something. And being a tinkerer I hold on to old stuff thinking I could use it for parts.

OK... Enough about me - Happy Birthday, SK! :thu:

Tom

"Music expresses that which cannot be put into words and that which cannot remain silent." - Victor Hugo

Ditto to the maestro. Have a great one mayne. :wave::cool:

PD

"The greatest thing you'll ever learn, is just to love and be loved in return."--E. Ahbez "Nature Boy"

I don't know about you guys, but even though I KNOW I'll never play vinyl again, and still have my turntable wrapped in plastic and sitting in the basement,

I am still a vinyl fan...please drop ship 'em to me any time

Hammond C3, Leslie 122, Steinway B, Wurlitzer 200A, Rhodes 73,

D6 Clav

Wow...A mini-thread hidden within a thread. Almost didn't click on this but glad I did.

HAPPY BIRTHDAY STEVE !!!!!

It's midnight on the right coast so I guess it's over but hope you had a great one....same day has my sister, what a coincidence.

Ditto to the maestro. Have a great one mayne. :wave::cool:

Great, another Leo in the house. Happy birthday SK. Mine is on Thursday :thu:.

Yamaha (Motif XS7, Motif 6, TX81Z), Korg (R3, Triton-R), Roland (XP-30, D-50, Juno 6, P-330). Novation A Station, Arturia Analog Experience Factory 32

Well, 40 is way too many, when Ten would really define you. And you can always put more than one in a frame. I have a boatload of Filmore-era posters, all framed (usually at over $100 per)and once I got them framed, I realized that I didn't have any place in the studio to put them once I got the room treatment in place! (The signed John Lennon print that I have ended up leaning against a guitar amp on the Wall'O Amps)

They ended up in my 'cool bachelor pad', the 1200 square foot downtown loft with 14 foot ceilings. Plenty of wall space there!

There are all sorts of tricks for making frames, but they still usually end up looking home-made. BUT! When I was framing some more recent posters, I found that many frame shops have chunks of framing stock that they bought then could not sell, and that such investments for them are total losers unless someone 'artistic' comes along and wants to see them, and offers to use those frame stocks....at a significant discount, of course. I got some pretty outrageous looking professionally made and matted and glassed frames for $30-$60.

"I believe that entertainment can aspire to be art, and can become art, but if you set out to make art you're an idiot."

Steve Martin

Show business: we're all here because we're not all there.

Archived